Workouts for chest when you have vertigo...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
Cathe, (or anyone):
I have been suffering from dizziness since New Year's Eve. It is worse when I lie flat (and get up, and look up or left). I can do most workouts, but need suggestions for chest since I can't lay down. I think I can do push-ups, but not flys or chest presses. Any suggestions? Thank you! I have an appointment with an ENT next week, hopefully I will get to the cause.

How about incline flyes and presses? You never really lay down and you still target the muscles. I would also try seated flyes - just use lighter weights than you usually would. You could also do wall push-ups or push-ups on the step or Turbo Tower barre, if you have that equipment.

Cathe does one where you sit down and hold a med ball in front of your chest and squeeze. Then, while you are squeezing, you move it out a couple inches and then back in. It's an isometric that I can feel when I do it. I think it might be in Muscle Endurance??? Can't remember which workout it's in, but you are sitting up doing it so it might work for you.

exercise-lover said:
Cathe does one where you sit down and hold a med ball in front of your chest and squeeze. Then, while you are squeezing, you move it out a couple inches and then back in. It's an isometric that I can feel when I do it. I think it might be in Muscle Endurance??? Can't remember which workout it's in, but you are sitting up doing it so it might work for you.

You're right it's in Muscle Endurance. I just did that one yesterday.

Cathe, (or anyone):
I have been suffering from dizziness since New Year's Eve. It is worse when I lie flat (and get up, and look up or left). I can do most workouts, but need suggestions for chest since I can't lay down. I think I can do push-ups, but not flys or chest presses. Any suggestions? Thank you! I have an appointment with an ENT next week, hopefully I will get to the cause.

I can relate as I get Vertigo from time-to-time. Ugh, no fun! I like the exercise Cathe does in the new LI Series where she puts the Firewalker band around both wrists and pulls/pulses. You really feel it in the chest muscles. She also uses it in that same postion to do oblique work where you twist to one side aiming your band/elbow towards floor. I feel it in my chest muscles too even though it's aimed towards oblique/core work. Good Luck at the ENT. I hope he finds a solution for you. I'd love to hear what he suggests.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.