Workout Warriors Sept... and Back into It!

lightening16

Cathlete
Thought I would get us started on a Sept thread!!

I feel like I have so much to catch up on. I took the last two days off... one was a beach day , so much fun and then yesterday I had to work. The audit was 2.5 hours away so I had to get up super early and when I was about half way there I stopped for gas which I really needed and found out that I had forgotten my purse!!! They wouldn't do anything for me at the highway service rest station so I had to drive for another half hour and go to a regular gas station and they were able to punch in my credit card info which I had gotten from DH... A bit of nail bitter! Made it to the audit and back otherwise but my back was sore from sitting in the car for so long! I did do some Eionn Finn on Wed night...
So today I decided to make up for the two days off and went a little over board but hey!
WO: Lot's of stretching dislocates, around the body, pumps, runner's stretches etc
WO: 3 rounds 10 rest 50 work
1 and 1/2 push-ups then walk over to next 12,14,12
Fly Crunches 17,15,15
Forward Lunge to side lunge R 10,10,9
Forward Lunge to side lunge L 10,10,10
Chin-ups assisted 8,7,7,
Squat jump into motorcycle landing with leg lift alternating 14,11, 11
CO: Jump Rope Tabata - 15 min steady state run barefoot - Swing Tabata 16kg
Stretching Stretching stretching!!!

Cathy - Great workouts! How are things going for your Mom? Are you back at homeschool yet?

MJ - Glad to see your around! You are an athelete!!!

Janis - How is physio?

Tara - Hope all is well
Gotta run!
Heather

Happy September Warriors!

Today I did Gym style legs, again. I did it on Monday too. It left me winded at times...that's how out of shape I am!

On Monday I am considering starting STS to build a muscle base so I can start doing some cardio workouts and hopefully embrace the new workouts once they are released.

Heather , Thanks for getting us started. Wow, that must have been nerve racking to be without cash, low on gas, and having to arrive at your audit on time! That is an endurance workout for sure.

I haven't had a second physio appt yet, I had to reschedule. I wrote about my first one here:
http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2041805#post2041805 post#65

MJ - My curly little red head is a Standard Poodle. I can't wait! Your "become an athlete, behave like an athlete plan", is a good one! Wow, that's a lot of tennis. Good for you!!! The remaining few pounds will easily melt off.

Tara - Hi ya!

Cathy - Your adventures with Sparty are hilarious.

:D

Ugh! I was quite a ways into my message and our power flicked off and on and bye bye computer. So, this is a redo.

This morning I did Push/Pull which is short, but gets the job done. I’m thinking of starting Cathe’s September rotation on Sunday. Just have to figure out subs for the two DVD’s I don’t have.

Janis I’d be happy to ship you Sparty for a year. Then you can ship him back when he’s outgrown his puppyish ways. At least I fervently hope he outgrows them! The toad did not survive, the moth amazingly DID! At least, it took itself out of the garage and disappeared. Then last night he decided to chew a hole in the couch cushion and destuff it and this morning put a hole in my comforter and removed that stuffing. At least the comfortable was reversible, so I had one good side left. Not my favorite side of course. How old will your poodle be when you get it?

Heather that was quite the adventure you had! So glad that you were able to find a way to get gas. Certainly would get the adrenaline pumping!

Michigan made a law a few years ago that school could not start until after Labor Day. Our ecomony gets a great deal for tourism, and they wanted to extend the summer. Nick does math year round and Derek math and reading, and we’ve been reading history, but we’ll be jumping back in to much more come next Tuesday. I’ve got a schedule set up and I’m picking up a few last minute things at the teachers store tomorrow. We don’t start any classes until October and I’ve cut back on the amount we’re doing to stay home more, but I’m planning to take them to school day at the Renaissance Festival. It goes for about 6 weekends every year and they have a Friday for school kids with discount prices. I’ve always wanted to go and never made it, so now I have an excuse.

Hey Guys

This morning I decided to go the distance and do a longer workout!!!
First round I did 60/30 work and then second round I did 20/10 as a finisher
1. Chin Ups
2. Kettlebell Lunges with overhead press (holding one kettlebell with both hands)
3. Prisoner Jump Squats
4. Kettlebell Chest Presses
5. Mountain Climber
6. Kettlebell High Pulls
7. Clapping Push Ups
8. Kettlebell Side Lunges
9. Jump Lunges
10. Kettlebell Renegade Rows
11. Bicycles
12. Kettlebell Snatches
13. Dips
14. Kettlebell Squats
15. Forward Lunge Jump Up/ Backward Lunge Jump Up (as one exercise on one leg)
16. Kettlebell Windmills
17. Forward Lunge Jump Up/ Backward Lunge Jump Up (on the other leg)
18. Kettlebell Clean & Presses
19. Side Crunch – left
20. Kettlebell Swings
21. Burpees
22. Kettlebell Deadlifts
23. Side Crunch – right
24. Alternating swings
25. Ball Slams
It was pretty tough but I was surprised how many reps I could do when I knew I only had 20 sec and did them faster! Total time was 50 min. Swings are getting better with my back as long as I keep my form. The side crunches before the swings really let you know how much you are using your core when you are doing the swings.

Tomorrow I am hoping to go to a provincial park (Pinery) and take the bikes and spend the day there and have an active rest day.

okay last thing!! The Movie Inception - was a total mind bender I would highly recommend it. The only thing was that I came out of it with a big headache. There was so much to see and very intense. Not scary but intense. My headache could also have been because we decided to go to the early show and go out for dinner after....

Janis - How did I miss your post??? That was weird. That is so great that you have got things going with your physio! She sounds like she is on the ball! Those damn psoas!!!! I have been trying to keep up with the hip openers from Jill Miller and keep them stretched - I know that it is impacting my back too. Interesting about the kettlebell weight. I was thinking about that and I am sure that there is truth to it! I was also thinking about Lauren Brooks and how tiny she is and how much she can swing! I think at my current weight I could still swing a higher weight than my 16 :eek:.

Cathy - I hate when all your hard work gets zapped away! I looked at the Sept rotation and it looks good! Great job keeping things going with all your craziness. How is your calf feeling? I have been running with the Vibrams and really like it. Yesterday was my longest run yet and my feet feel great this morning.

Waves to Tara and MJ!!!
Hey have we been doing this check in a year yet????
Crazy!
Heather

Heather I'm so glad the Vibrams are working for you. My calves are feeling fine - knocking on wood, crossing fingers..... I do think we've now been doing this a year. Wasn't it last September that we started STS together? Enjoy your day at the park. Sounds fun. :D

Apparently, my body wanted to sleep in today and as it is a day with no alarm clock, and even Sparty apparently wasn't anxious for breakfast, I slept until just after 7:00. Since I generally try to leave around 7:15, even the short stretch/abs I'd planned wasn't happening.

I started Cathe's September rotation this morning with Step, Jump and Pump. I use the cardio from it fairly often, but I think I'd only actually done the whole thing once. That first weight section was not kind to my back. Squats followed by dead rows and dead lifts, but fortunately it didn't bother it too much. And after all the squats, there were still the static lunges with the barbell to survive and the crazy woman has a leg day tomorrow!

Took the boys to the zoo this afternoon, so I got in quite a bit of walking there. Nick had been going to stay home, but at the last minute changed his mind. Very crowded and made me remember with fondness when they were little and we'd go once a week in the morning and pretty much have the whole place to ourselves.

The wildlife encounter of the day was a hummingbird that was flying around the garage when we got home. Silly thing wouldn't go low enough to figure out how to get out. Finally it got caught in a cobweb and fluttered down. It was pretty exhausted by that point and likely the cobweb saved it's life because it would have stressed itself to death flying around. I alternated between sticking its beak in the hummingbird feeder and removing cobwebs and after I got the cobwebs off it took a few more drinks and took off. At least Sparty had nothing to do with it!

Last edited:
Today was Butts and Guts Standing Glutes and Abs Timesaver premix. Short and very much to the point on the glute work. :eek:

My project for the day is the boys room. Derek has stuff all over the bunk beds (they currently both sleep in Nick's bed) and we need to move a desk in their for Nick to use for school starting tomorrow. Only way he's really going to be able to focus is to keep Derek the clown away from him!

Hey Everyone

Hope everyone is having a great holiday monday!!!! If you can believe it we dug potatoes this morning and pulled alot of the stakes in the garden to get it ready to be mowed... sad. There are still lots of veggies but less and less.

Anyways, yesterday we had a blast riding bikes and playing at the beach. Jason and I can't figure out why we just didn't camp there this weekend! Hopefully we still can this Sept!

Today's workout:
WU: usual!
WO: TGU's 10 min 6R/6L 12kg then 1/1 20lbs
CO: Part 1
Marianne's Blackjack workout 3 rounds 40/20 of
Burpees with push ups (7,8,9)
Plank Climber (alternating leading arm) (16,16,17)
Squat Tap Tap (20,21,21)
Reptile Push Ups (15,17,15)
Side Squats (right) (17,18,17)
Side Squats (left) (18,17,17)
Mountain Climbers (47,48,50) both legs= one rep
Part 2 Core 30work 10 rest 2 rounds
One armed plank R
One armed plank L
Roll-outs
Superman hold
Breast stroke
Leg Circles with lift

Now off to get these little boys ready for school tomorrow!

Cathy - What a crazy humming bird encounter! I love those little guys :D. Good luck with those rooms! We actually had their clean this week but we had company on Sat night (that crazy wet and wild evening) so kids played inside and the rooms look like a boom went off again.

Janis - So what kinds of exercises does your physio have you do? What did she say about the rest of your weight work?

Waves to MJ and Tara!
Cheers
Heather

Heather sounds like you had tons of fun yesterday! Your garden is done already? That seems a few weeks early.

Got the boys room all put in order and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Derek has a big stack of prior artwork that he likes to get out and look through, but is seemingly unable to restack, and he had it strewn all over the beds. Didn't take long to restack it. My only thing lacking is that I'm missing one of a pair of bookends I need for the desk. I KNOW we have it, and would love to know why is disappeared from the bookshelf it was on.

Did you guys see the pic of Greg from the new STS workout. They've always shown them sweating pretty good in the past, but never to the point it looks like someone just dumped a pitcher over them!

Last edited:
This morning was Step Blast! Always fun and the 3rd combo is still my favorite combo of all.

First morning of school went well. DH is home sick today, but I told the boys it changes NOTHING about our schedule and so far it hasn't. Usually Dad being home for any reason has them taking advantage and doing nothing that day. Doesn't matter is I tried to get them to do it, DH usually thwarted my attempts whether intentionally or unintentionally.

It's a beautiful day here right now. Around 70 and partly sunny. The wind could be a bit calmer, but that's ok.

Hey Everyone
Finally back into a routine! Kids got off to school... seemed that they both survived and then we ran off to hockey tryouts! I had to work today but when I have a day off it is going to feel really weird... now that both are in school everyday.

Anyways, this morning I did Program Minimum
WO: 12 min two handed swings, 15 swings at the top of each minute then jump rope for the rest of the minute.
CO: 2 Rounds of Tactical Lunges 30, One Legged Sit to Stand R 15 - L15, Hamstring Curls on Ball 10R/10L. I had planned on 3 rounds but ran out of time... now that I am back from work I am glad that I didn't do more as things are tightening up.

Cathy - Good job sticking to your guns about school! Step Blast is way too much fun. I really love the music

Janis - I have decided to get back to running this fall. A friend of mine wants to go in a 10K and I think that I will try to train for it in my Vibrams! So we'll see how that goes. Hope all is well with you.

Hello to Tara and MJ!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Hi Everyone

I have had a cold the last few days. I occasionally get injured, but I am rarely sick - coughing, sore throat, chills, insomnia... ugh.

Heather - the PT just has me doing some simple iliopsoas/piriformis stretches, and slow, controlled, isolated muscle leg lifts. Easy stuff. I have another appointment late this afternoon. I did Gym Style legs twice last week, the squats really, really aggravated the hip flexor; it's possible that my injury is all from excessive squats and kettlebell and not running. I am really itching to get back to running! Let me know how the Vibrams work for you. I am very curious how they feel several miles in. Wow, both boys in school all day! Hurray! It's a liberating feeling, isn't it? I know I've said this a thousand times, but it all goes so quickly. Take lots and lots of photos, before you know it they'll be off to college. :):):)

Cathy - Have you found a swim suit yet for your trip? Sparty sounds like he could use some puppy classes and a few chew toys!

MJ - How are your back to back tennis drills/classes? Have you bought some new tennis dresses?

Tara - I imagine you are a busy busy woman, are you getting a wee bit of running in to prepare for your next fitness test?

:D

This morning Cathe had down a 45 minutes steady state run. Which wasn't happening because 1) I don't run and 2) it is pitch dark out now that time of day. So, I put on some 70's dance music and walked around the basement. Figured it was no more boring than a treadmill and I got to turn dozens of curves instead of just going straight. :rolleyes: After two songs, I put on my weighted vest and then took it off for the last five minutes, so I had that on for about 1/2 an hour. Varied my temp according to music. Then I did the weights section from AC Weights and Plates abs.

Derek had to get his expander today at the orthodonists. Everything went fine except that he totally could not handle the taste of the cement they used. Took two hours and various foods to get rid of the flavor. I think the chocolate finally did it. During that time he was pretty upset and we were waiting at a park for friends to arrive and he was sitting on me alternating with lots of spitting. Finally it wore off enough for him to go play and after that he was fine. Hopefully, he'll adjust to it quickly. He hasn't complained about much except for the things that poke his tongue - which is exactly why they are there to get his tongue to go elsewhere.

Janis Sparty has plenty of things to chew on, though he prefers to litter the outdoors with them than to keep them indoors.

School's going fine though today was an abbreviated day because of Derek's appt and homeschool group. But, we got in the most important stuff. It must be really weird to have the kids gone all day. Haven't ever experienced that except for the odd times when DH takes them somewhere for a few hours without me. It's going to be really strange next year when Nick goes to school. Derek and I are both going to have some major adjusting to do.

Last edited:
Hey Warriors
I spent the day in what felt like a Nov. Day instead of a Sept. day. It was really windy, and drizzley. I was chilled to the bone when I got home but I did a myomy.tv workout and warmed right up! You do 10 on each side then move to the next - it's supposed to be for time.
One handed swings, Cleans, Full squats, Presses, Thrusters, High Pulls, Rows, Crunches (20 with bell) snatches and bottom's up cleans.
2 rounds took me 24 min. I had to drop my weight for the squats and thrusters for the second round. Tomorrow, my plan is to run!!!
My callouses have worn off while I was getting better so my hands have blisters which is not so fun but they will toughen up!

Janis - I always find those really simple exercises to be so annoying and it feel like there should be so much more! That's too bad that the squats aggravated your hip flexor. It would be interesting to see what she says on that? Any timeline for running? I will keep you posted on how things go with the Vibrams...

Cathy - It's funny when the boys are not there it really feels like an appendage is missing! I am home when they get off the bus which is 3:30 so I still get alot of time with them but!
I bet it will really feel weird for you when Nick goes. However it is very liberating at the same time!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Heather I'm right there with you and the weather! I am so not ready for this. I had on a heavy sweatshirt and jeans at the park today and was freezing most of the time and it was in the 50's. Heading back up into the low 70's for the weekend though. That's good since I have a doubleheader to get through on Sunday afternoon. The next week after that we have the morning games and I'm ignoring the thought of how cold those could be.

This morning was Legs & Glutes. We're at my parents and getting ready to head home soon. Nick is watching the rerun of football games as there isn't anything live on to watch. We're leaving before the game is over, so my Dad is going to tell him who wins when we leave.

Hey Guys
I am taking a rest day today and after yesterday my butt is very happy about it!!!
Yesterday was:
WU: hip openers, TGU's 12kg for 8 min 6/6
WO: 27 min run - with a few walking breaks (tried a new trail near my house that is not really trail yet so I had to walk in some places or risk breaking an ankle) Longest run with Vibrams yet
CO: 100 walking lunges

Cathy - How is your Mom doing???

Janis - Hope you are feeling better!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Where are yooooooooooou?

Yesterday I did 4DS High Intensity Step and today 4DS Kick Box. The other two are coming up this week, too. It's been a long time since I've done any of them except for the the cardios alone.

It's a crazy day here. Derek got his expander on Thursday and I couldn't turn it and they were closed Friday, so I had to run him in today to get it turned and get more lessons. Think we've got it figured out now. Then Nick had an appt with the optometrist today. And, his coach changed practice to tonight, so we're headed back in again later. Did manage to squeeze some school in today, but they both had headaches earlier and so did less than we should have. Nick's b-day is Thursday (he's driving us all nuts about it - can't wait for next year when he'll be 13!) and he wants to take Thursday off from school, which means skipping homeschool group on Wednesday to give us another full day home.

My Mom had her final appt with the surgeon today, but I haven't heard anything yet. She was feeling a pulling sensation, but that's likely from scar tissue (2 surgeries) and everything realigning itself. Apparently, they took out 12" which was more than I thought based on the general description given using hands. So, certainly some adjusting is going to happen. Should know more after today.

Hope you are all feeling fit and enjoying life and that you get on here soon and post something ;-)

Hey Guys
I haven't fallen in a whole but we had a run around weekend with hockey try-outs etc!
Sunday I did a kettlebell endurance high volume swing workout... which unfourtuantly opened a blister on my hand. I am not sure how I didn't notice:confused: so that doesn't feel very good but the workout was great:D. Anyways, I had to work yesterday but managed to do a Vibram barefoot run for 22 min straight. I think I am going to stay a this time for a while and let my feet get stronger, Then I did MissFit's Butts and Guts workout with some extra back strentheners at the end. http://fitmiss.tv/index.php/workitbaby/bodyweight/110-butt-and-gut-500
Today, was TGU day so I did 11 min of TGU's 8 each side and then:
WU: joint mobility, hip openers, pumps
WO: TGU's 8L/8R 12kg 10:46
CO: 30 sec work/ 15 rest 2 rounds of each exercise with 30 sec jump rope inbetween each:
slashers 13, 12
Dips ?, 13
Plank walkers 12,12
Alternating Step-ups on bench 10, 13
Close push-ups on Bell 11,12
Renegade rows with 15 lb dumbells 12,12
Push-ups 11,12
THEN 5 assisted pull-up, 10 stability ball pikes, 5 assisted chin-ups, 10 oblique raises on ball each side

Overall now my back has got DOMS from the swing day, my butt is sore from yesterday and my shoulders are still burning and my workout was done 1.5 hours ago! Maybe tomorrow should be a rest day :p.

Cathy - I hope your mom starts to feel better... my dad had the same issues, as well as some difficulty with gas for a while. I figure 12" isn't that much in the grand length of that tube! Great job keeping with your workouts and good luck keeping your thumb on the home school renegades!

Janis - How are things?
Hello's to Tara and MJ
Talk to you soon
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.