Workout Blender saves the day

Kellyro77

Cathlete
I've been dealing with an old, recurring lower back issue that flared up recently where any forward flexion results in pretty awful pain. Don't worry - I've gone in and seen a PT about it and we're working to address the issue.

That said, he said I was clear to do any exercise, just for now avoid anything with forward flexion in it. I've also been given a temporary excuse to not do leg days for now, since at the moment, anything working my glutes is contributing to my pain.

Today's workout was supposed to include back, and I was so glad I had the ability to patch together a back workout that excluded stuff like bent over rows.

I'm also grateful that STS 2.0, at least, has soooooo many options for back work, including all the banded modifications.

I can still work my back without aggravating my back issues. Yay!

One wishlist item for the Workout Blender, though, is to somehow tag all their workouts. ie: If it includes back, even if its not in the title of the workout, it shows up when I do a search for "back". Like, 4-Day Split I know has back, but since the title of the workout that includes back is just "Higher Intensity Step" it doesn't register that there's back work included, so does't show up in a search result.

Sorry to read you're having an issue, but glad to read you're addressing it and finding the blender beneficial. I love the band work in STS2.0. If I had the blender, I'd blend a workout with the bands only - would probably have to repeat sets for a full workout.

I put together a 42min workout using STS2.0 band work as well as some of the band work from Lite Body Weight & Bands. STS2.0 has lots of rest periods between sets which lengthens the workout. Also, I had to add a few breaks to give me time to change the door anchor position and change bands. I structured the workout to have all the exercises with the door anchor at one position together, before changing it to another position to minimize changing between anchor points.

I ended up putting together all the band work from STS 2.0 BP Back, and then tagged on the T's prone on the ball and Superman Y's on the ball from XTrain Chest, Back and Shoulders. It didn't need to be a particularly long workout since I was just replacing the "Muscle Meltdown Back" from ICE for the day.

I have to say this lower back thing is spoiling my first experience of ICE, though. Really can't be doing a lot of her cardio moves in this series... at least nothing like burpees and, again, anything where she has you lean forward very far.

Oh well, it'll be around when I get healed. I'm just kinda piecemealing it all right now, and doing lot and lots of modifications.

It's disappointing when we've planned a rotation and an injury, illness or life throws the proverbial monkey wrench at it. Good attitude tho ...ICE will still be around when you're better. There's still the Low Impact series and LITE to draw from. Hmmm, I've been using my old rebounder lately for some cardio ... I wonder if that would help with back issues and impact ... maybe ask your PT.

I'm happy to say that my lower back issues are getting better, thank goodness for a good PT/Chiropractor. And fortunately the exercises he's been giving me aren't things that make me want to find excuses not to do them. I think i have STS's emphasis on mobility workouts to thank for my not thumbing my nose at the PT exercises.

That said, he still wants me to take it easy on lower body work and definitely not push it too much with lots of forward flexion - especially anything weight bearing, so I'm just kind of giving up on ICE for the most part, except that I'm still trying to work in the Muscle Meltdowns. Just replacing all her cardio stuff with more "upright" cardio like step aerobics. Oh darn (sarcasm). Really, not a bad deal since I love step and have Step Boss stuff to look forward to fitting in more.

I'm just praying this gets better by the time I have my next STS 2.0 rotation planned on my calendar. (I know, it's not exactly realistic to expect my body to heal in my ideal timeframe.) I guess if it's still not quite 100% yet, I can always start STS 2.0 off really light. Provided, again, I've got clearance to do that kind of workout.

Good for you for not rushing things ... it's so tempting. Since you have On Demand and enjoy step, Cathe has some older (way older) step workouts that are less demanding and she breaks down some of her classic moves more. Then there are some that are just pure fun, like the step portion of Step, Jump & Punch & 4DS & Low Impact Circuit, & the Party Rockings & of course you can have a blast with Step Blast. Guess I like step too & can get carried away :)

Oh yeah, what got me loving Cathe step were the step workouts in Cross-Train Xpress! I got them dirt cheap on VHS off Ebay & became a Cathe Step fan! (I now have them on dvd):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.