Working out, etc.

spice

HI! 2 questions for ya:
1. I just read that you should eat 10 calories per body weight pound. Since I weigh 100(I'm 5lbs heavy and short), I'd only eat 1000 calories which could NEVER happen! Is what I read true? I read it in USA weekend so it's a reliable source. I only workout 3xs a week and am 21.

2. I had taken a big break from working out since I got sick of it. I really want to start again and be consistent. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago but it's such a drive since there aren't any nearby and only go 2-3xs a week. So I joined a place that offers just floor aerobics (interval style with weightless toning mixed in). Is this enough to get me in shape? I miss my toned legs!!!
Also, could you suggest a running plan? I get so out of breath!

THANKS!!!

Calories

I'll jump in on the calorie question. The 10 calories per pound, represents your basal metabolism, or the calories burned from involuntary activities. To that you add the calories you burn from voluntary activites, everything from walking the mall to working out. Your lifestyle determines how many calories you burn during voluntary activities. The factor can be very low, 20% of your basal metabolism, to 100% or more.

A 1,000 calorie/day diet wouldn't provide the nutrients one needs. It would also slow down the basal metabolic rate because the body thinks its being starved & it needs to conserve. Nutritionists generally recommend a minimum of 1,200 to 1,400 calories per day, but then one has to make very careful choices since there's no room for nutrient poor foods.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.