Working a muscle to failure

Jul

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-02 AT 10:25AM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-02 AT 10:23 AM (Est)[/font]

What is the latest scoop on working a muscle group to failure? Is this something to strive for, or something to avoid? I try to work with weights heavy enough to be about 2 reps shy of failure. Is this correct?

What happens when we hit muscle failure? How and why is that not good?

The rule is still to work the muscle to failure or that in the case of lifting without a spotter to the point of failure but you can still safely dispose of the weight.

I like to work to failure i.e. I can't do another but can still safely lower my weight and then move onto another body part.

Babs

I just read a fitness celeb (someone in those Oxygen or M&F Hers mags), recommends that you not just do a set # of reps. You may do 12 reps, but that doesn't mean you're really working hard enough. I usually know which weight works for me and if I can go to 14 reps vs 10, I do it. Then just adjust the weight till you reach what suits you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.