Will Mesocycle 1 reps be as fast as in Muscle Endurance & Power Hour?

LovingLife

Cathlete
Hi -- I did a Search for "Rep Speed" and found the answer below that seems to deal more with beat count than speed (but I'm copying and pasting in case anyone else hasn't seen it and is curious).

What I'm wondering is if the rep speed in the Mesocycle 1 workouts will be as fast as in Muscle Endurance, Power Hour (and even Legs & Glutes for Meso 1 Legs). Some e-friends and I are doing an STS-model rotation (with our current Cathe workouts) right now and are in the 2nd week of Meso 1. We're finding that we can't possibly lift at the 60% level in these workouts (and neither is Cathe -- I'm lifting as heavy as what she's lifting, which is more like 50-55% of my 1 rep max and I'm sure less for her since she's much stronger than I am).

So it's making me wonder if she's planned the STS endurance workouts at a slower lifting pace to allow for that ability to lift at the 60-70% zone. She mentioned that these workouts will be different than anything she's made before and I thought maybe this is one of the differences???

Thanks for any information you can give! :) -- Renee

Here's the previous SNM response regarding rep speed:

We will use various tempo speeds throughout STS as just another tool to constantly confuse your muscles. Tempo will be listed on our website and in your handbook as a 4 digit number; i.e., 2-1-1-0. The first number (2 in this case) refers to the eccentric (negative) part of the movement in seconds. The second number (1 in this case) refers to the pause at the bottom of the negative stroke. The third number (1 in this case) refers to the speed of the positive stroke and the last number (0 in this case) refers to the pause at the end of the positive stroke. I know it sounds confusing, but it really is simple once you get used to it.

The greatest muscle fiber stimulation occurs in a stroke of no more than 4 seconds. Thus our rep speed or tempo as we call it, will usually be between 1 and 4 seconds. Sometimes we will pause and sometimes we will not. Our most common speed will be 2 seconds or less.

Since we encourage people to use our 1RM test in selecting their weights we want you to lift to failure in many of the sets you will perform. This causes several problems as far as music is concerned. First, as you begin to tire your rep speed will slow down. Second, different people will fail at different points during each set of an exercise. Some people may only be able to get 8 reps while others will be able to do 12.

There is no perfect solution for this, but we have what we feel is the best solution. Instead of Cathe following the music, the music will come and follow Cathe. This is not easy to do and requires some highly skilled technicians and musicians and is very expensive to do. But this how movies are actually made and this is how we plan on making STS.

I can’t say I know what the rep speed was for muscle endurance as I’m sure it varied depending on the move and weight used. You should not have any problem with the rep speed in STS as Cathe, our testers and our crew have never had a problem keeping up until they approached failure. People will always fail at different points in the set and thus their rep speed will start to slow down as this occurs, but until then you should not have any problems.

Also remember that workouts like Muscle Endurance are done to music. By that I mean the rep speed is dictated by the music. In STS the exercise will dictate the speed and the music will follow the movement.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.