Why the emphasis on upper body in new DVD premixes?

From looking at the premix menus on the blog, for the entire new series, I see that there are 8 premixes that focus on upper body, and only 2 premixes that focus on lower body? Why such an emphasis on upper body focused premixes? And why such a huge gap between the number of upper body focused premixes and lower body ones? And what does that mean for women who are most working on leaning out the hips/thighs/butt area?

I would imagine that the step routine will be incorporating quite a bit of glute, quad and hamstring work. Say for instance if you do a cardio premix just by steeping on the step and doing all those funky patterns of hers you will be shaping your thighs.

Hi there ,just a thought to pass on , in the past women tend to primarily focus on just leaning out there lower body by doing mostly lower body exercises in there workout out regimine when really they could get much better reults in "leaning out" by puting more emphysis on their upper body. Building more strong lean muscle in your upper body wil give your entire body a much more leaner look. It is really easy to over train legs with all the step , jump training, floorwork, combined with the actual weight training we tend to do for our legs. Variety in your training and a more balanced approach to the body is a better way to go. Just my opinion ,take it or leave it if you like!! ;-)

There really isn’t an intended emphasis on upper body in the premixes. Your upper body simply has more muscle groups to work and thus more possible premixes. Three of the four titles contain upper body footage while only one contains lower body footage (excluding calves). Thus, you get more upper body premixes simply because there is more footage to choose from. If you wish to concentrate more on lower body toning we sell an abundance of workouts in this category including our very recent production called Butts and Guts.

I personally am thrilled with this as I think in the past there was more emphasis on legs. When I try to do a premix that focuses on uppper body my choices have been limited. I also agree, with a step workout you are already shaping the lower body.

>Hi there ,just a thought to pass on , in the past women tend
>to primarily focus on just leaning out there lower body by
>doing mostly lower body exercises in there workout out
>regimine when really they could get much better reults in
>"leaning out" by puting more emphysis on their upper body.
>Building more strong lean muscle in your upper body wil give
>your entire body a much more leaner look. It is really easy to
>over train legs with all the step , jump training, floorwork,
>combined with the actual weight training we tend to do for our
>legs. Variety in your training and a more balanced approach to
>the body is a better way to go. Just my opinion ,take it or
>leave it if you like!! ;-)

I totally agree. I'm always looking for more ways to do UB combined w/cardio or alone. Sometimes i just make up my own mix if i can't find what i want for that day.

Be grateful that we have so many premixes to choose from at all! Cathe's DVD style is very different that what else is out there.

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

>Hi there ,just a thought to pass on , in the past women tend
>to primarily focus on just leaning out there lower body by
>doing mostly lower body exercises in there workout out
>regimine when really they could get much better reults in
>"leaning out" by puting more emphysis on their upper body.
>Building more strong lean muscle in your upper body wil give
>your entire body a much more leaner look. It is really easy to
>over train legs with all the step , jump training, floorwork,
>combined with the actual weight training we tend to do for our
>legs. Variety in your training and a more balanced approach to
>the body is a better way to go. Just my opinion ,take it or
>leave it if you like!! ;-)

I believe that! I'm one of those who needs to remember the upper body as well. My lower body is easy to sculpt so I tend to favor lower body toning. The new DVDs would be great for me as it would prevent me from neglecting my upper half.

Perhaps upper body choices were limited inthe past, and it is great that there are now so many upper body choices ... but now are the lower body choices taking a back seat? And I agree that stepping works on the lower body, but don't you need to have solid weight workouts for the lower body as well. Also, it is true that there is Butts & Gutts and Gym Style Legs, but why not inlcude an even distribution within the new series, rather than having to rely on old workouts for lower body workouts? It would be nice to have lots of NEW lower body options in the NEW DVDs.

From the looks of it, lower body weights is only on one of the two dvds. The one that has it, has lower body weight premixes. The step dvd is premixed with the upper body weights.

To me, this series looks to be very well BALANCED. Just my 2 cents. It has Kickboxing (cardio working legs and upper body), Drills (cardio working legs and upper body), 2 step workouts (cardio working legs) and 2 upper body and 1 lower body weight workouts.

Are you saying that you wished that both dvds had weighted leg work? Did you want the step dvd to contain only one upper body segment and a lower body weighted workout instead?

Considering that the emphasis is on heavy weights and not light weight work, I don't see how not having an upper body split could be possible. Sure, you could do heavy weight work for your entire upper body in one day, but I wouldn't!

Just how much do you want to work your legs with weights? If you want more lower body weights, you can buy another dvd or use the lower body weighted premix more often in your rotation.

Blessings on your fitness journey,
Wendy

I actually quite like there to be mainly upper body premixes as well. In the past the workouts tend to have very long lower body workouts, Gym Styles, Pure Strengths and Butts and Gutts that I sometimes wonder if I am working my lower body too much i.e. stepping and weights. For example, if I do 3 cardios per week I count that as lower body + cardio and then the Gym Styles Legs, so that is 4 days of long legs sessions. I would then use Gym Styles upper body which means only 2 upper body. So it seems I am working more lower body than upper.

I am looking forward to seeing the heavier weight training in this new series. I will never be using as heavy as Cathe, but I would love to see how heavy Cathe can go.

Yen

I hope that Cathe will have a chance to respond to this question, so that she can share her fitness expertise on why the DVDs are as they are, and what is the most effective way to get lean, sculpted legs/thighs/butt. (the company seems to already have responded with their marketing explanation...but I was intending this question for Cathe to answer with her fitness expertise...so hopefully she will see this post.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.