Why it's fun dating out of your age range

dss62467

Cathlete
My BF is quite a bit younger than me (16 years) and now that I'm over the initial weirdness of it, I really enjoy how we can introduce things to each other. This morning I'm teaching him the wonders of Magnum, P.I. Not sure what he enjoys more, the show or what they're wearing.

Sometimes he's already enlightened (he's a big fan of MASH), but finds it amusing that all the after school activities were cancelled in my town the night of it's finale. That was before we all had VCRs and DVRs.

He hasn't turned me onto anything from his generation yet (other than himself, ha ha), but he has gotten me into Mythbusters and House.

You go girl! My boyfriend is 7 yrs older than me, not a huge gap but we are having from sharing things from each others' generations - mostly music.

LOL - mine is an "old man" when it comes to music. His favorite is Tom Petty, but he's more into listening to the sports station in the car. I'm the one making him listen to the music of "his" generation. :D

My DH is 10 years older than me and he always remembers everyone running home from playing outside so they could watch the Ed Sullivan show. He says things really were like Leave It to Beaver growing up (mid 50s-early 60s).

Marcy

LOL - mine is an "old man" when it comes to music. His favorite is Tom Petty, but he's more into listening to the sports station in the car. I'm the one making him listen to the music of "his" generation. :D

Lucky girl! I wish I could get over my discomfort w/it!

In HS we called Tom Petty "Tom Sweaty & the Fartbreakers." :D

My DH is 12 years older than me. We still tease each other about how young I was or how old he was when we were going through different things. I figure it is good to be with a guy who is older than me since they mature so much slower than we do:p!

Carrie

MY BF is 8 years older than me, and although our major differences aren't part of age difference, I'm finding it TREMENDOUSLY fun and educational to be dating somebody who is a gadget geek. ANYTHING electronic, anything mechanical, anything with the As Seen On TV product brand......he either buys it, owns it, "reworks" it, or wants it. He's a HUGE computer guy (it's his job) and I'm learning SO MUCH about all this stuff! He's take apart, build or revamp anything out there.

Some examples: we're currently "reconfiguring" the kids' Nerf dart guns by replacing the spring with a tighter one and by drilling off the air restricters; he bought all the kids a DS Touch which is a disk that allows you to download and play any Nintendo DS game out there without having to buy the game; he changed his old Mercedes car from gasoline to oil-powered; he just bought a real, authentic pinball machine; he has and STILL uses the Flowbee (sp?); we've taken apart old TVs to get the big Fresnel lens to 'play' with; he's able to take apart and completely rebuild any PC without ANY kind of reference papers; and he's starting on a windmill project to heat and cool his house.

Gayle

Laura - it definitely takes the right guy. And it took a lot of encouragement from my friends that there was nothing wrong with it. The real test was seeing how my family reacted to him. My stepmother seems to really like him...they're both smokers, and they both talk ALOT! I haven't met his family, but they aren't close. Funny, now that I'm older, I really don't care if I meet them or not.

Gayle - your BF sounds like a blast! It's so much cooler having someone around that can teach you things. He sounds like he should have his own show on TLC or something.

My husband is 12 yrs older than me and we get along great! He is so full of knowledge, can build anything, we do laugh a lot when he starts a sentence with "you remember when..." I say no baby I was just a toddler at that time. He's so comfortable with who he is, no macho bullshit of having to "prove" himself. I have to laugh when I read an occasional post about "60 yr old bald, flabby,geezers" because my 61 yr is definitely not flabby or bald. He's in great shape. When we first started dating his mother made some comments and he was a bit uncomfortable with it, but 23 yrs later we are still very happy! I couldn't ask for a better husband. Like another poster said, it has to be the RIGHT man, younger or older.

I have to laugh when I read an occasional post about "60 yr old bald, flabby,geezers" because my 61 yr is definitely not flabby or bald. He's in great shape.

LOL - that's one of the reasons I was more into dating my 26 year old....because all the single guys my own age are bald and flabby. I had criteria that had to be met - hair and fit were two of them. Shorter than 6' was another. BF met all the criteria, including having a good job. Shallow, I know....but I wasn't looking to get married. We've turned into a really good couple, though it wasn't a goal either of us had. I'm glad to know he's going to keep his hair, just in case...

Last edited:
I don't think it's shallow. I'm at the point where one of my few criteria for a date is that he have more hair on his head than on his back. :p

I don't think it shallow, one of the great things about getting older is we KNOW what we want so why settle for anything else?
lol, back hair is one thing I cannot abide! I used to work with a guy that had a very attractive face but he was SO hairy! Not my cup 'o tea. I had a co-worker though that likes very hairy men.

Age gap

DH is 8 years older than I am. I often say things like, "This song came out when I was in junior high school... you know, back when you were finishing your Ph.D!" Ha, ha! :p

But seriously, he looks great for his age (or any age) ... lots of hair (on his head; not his back!), and he is very fit! He sometimes fibs about his age, but I told him that he can't fib younger than I do!

I am 7 yrs. older than my DH, It has worked out good for us so far, When we first started dating, I thought it would just be for fun, It turned to be so much more! So have a good time! Mary

Since I dropped the weight (still trying to get to goal) the weirdest thing is being hit on by 25 year olds (I'm 47). One I work with on Sundays keeps talking about us "hooking up" and "going out dancing." I've seen him dance. I get tired just thinking about it. Still, I'll grab one of his ears, press it forward and say "Just what I thought... WET BEHIND THE EARS." Poor thing. He doesn't know what it means, except he knows it means WE aren't going anywhere:p.

My wonderful husband of eight years is nine years YOUNGER than I am! I call him my Boy TOY and just make a big joke out of it!He is just the best in the world, and I'm glad we never made age a factor!
Ellen

DH is 7 years older than I am. Doesn't seem like a lot until we recall that when I was in second grade he was old enough to be skipping school, hiding in the woods and smoking all day!

We notice is mostly in the music we like.

Sparrow

Actually, the guy I dated right before him is a year younger than my BF! He is a very hairy guy, but it didn't bother me. It always grossed me out, but for some reason, it was acceptable on him - maybe because he was really hot. He used Nair or something on his back. He was very neat and fun, but he did have a problem with the age difference. He just never felt like it was the right relationship, which of course, I didn't care because I never wanted anything serious with him. We have remained very good friends and he's now serious about a girl his own age.

I have found it very amusing that I get hit on by more 20 somethings now that I'm in my 40's than I did when I was in my 20's. Must be because they all wanted someone in their 40's.

I have found it very amusing that I get hit on by more 20 somethings now that I'm in my 40's than I did when I was in my 20's. Must be because they all wanted someone in their 40's.

Me too! It's the cougar syndrome. :p About 49% of the guys who approach me are in their 20s, 49% in their 60s & married, & 2% are my age & married. :mad:

Where oh where are the single, sane, >250 lb men in my age range? :confused:

Younger guys

My BF is quite a bit younger than me (16 years) and now that I'm over the initial weirdness of it, I really enjoy how we can introduce things to each other. This morning I'm teaching him the wonders of Magnum, P.I. Not sure what he enjoys more, the show or what they're wearing.

Sometimes he's already enlightened (he's a big fan of MASH), but finds it amusing that all the after school activities were cancelled in my town the night of it's finale. That was before we all had VCRs and DVRs.

He hasn't turned me onto anything from his generation yet (other than himself, ha ha), but he has gotten me into Mythbusters and House.

HI, My BF is 10 years younger than I am, I love it!!!!!! Such stamina, LOL

I am 57

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.