Why is it that heavier people are so critical????

I have resigned myself to the fact that the topic of exercise & fitness has joined the ranks of politics and religion - one just does not discuss in mixed company, unless you want a debate and/or potential feelings of resentment.

Those who do not exercise, are not of your faith, politics, etc. get defensive very quickly. Yes, I do believe you can discuss topics like these intelligently w/people of different views, however in a new workplace, we always need to tread lightly. I would be leary of displaying too much fitness stuff until you get to know these folks. It's kind of like the (insert religious affiliation here) in your office displaying overtly religious items, she may never try to convert you, but you always worry a little that she may, and be unconciously defensive.

Hope my analogy wasn't reaching too much, just thinking out loud.

Kim

Do not deny who YOU are just so others won't be bitter or because you afraid to "make waves." Make waves, make all the waves you want - you are NOT harming anyone celebrating what you enjoy and celebrating all the hard work you put into yourself. And, if people decide to be bitter against you, you cannot help that. They will find a reason to be bitter about something it sounds like to me.

Just my nosey opinion!?!

This is to everyone:

I have found over the years that people who tend to criticize do so in all areas of their lives, and their criticism isn't only directed at a specific group of people, such as thin people. They aren't happy people to begin with, for whatever reason. Some people grow up in households where criticism is a usual topic of conversation, and so I think they learn to do it. It's acceptable in their home, so they figure it's acceptable everywhere else as well. Of course, there comes a time in each of our lives when we should realize not all the behaviors we may have learned in childhood are necessarily appropriate for the outside, adult world, but not everyone can see that. It takes a great deal of introspection to see yourself as others see you. Some people don't want to see that. They say they are who they are, and damned be anyone who doesn't like it. That's not always the best way either, because some people are just downright unpleasant to be around, and they always will be, because they are unable or unwilling to change certain noxious behaviors. We all know people like this. They may have "friends", but usually those friends are as noxious and unpleasant to be around as they are, or they're simply too intimidated by the person to say anything.

Each workplace has it's own little culture, and nursing is no different, as some of you know. Last night was my last night at my job. It was in all likelihood my last night EVER in hospital nursing. One week from this Monday I start a new phase in my nursing career. I'm entering corporate America! LOL!! I will be working at an insurance company as an Injury Claims Trainer, reviewing medical charts and educating the claims adjusters on medically-related issues, using both established training materials and ones I will develop on my own. I'll be responsible, eventually, for three area offices and the claims adjusters in each. I'll have a company car and a laptop to use, it's an 8-5, Monday through Friday job, and it's salaried. This is a HUGE step for me, and I'm so very excited about it! All I've known for 18 years is bedside nursing, working mostly nights and evenings, and of course weekends and holidays.

Anyway ... my point to all this rambling is last night at work I had three of my coworkers tell me how jealous of my new job they were. The thing is, the jobs are out there. I had four calls last week from resumes I sent out the same time as the job I recently accepted, all wanting to interview me. All because I made the effort to look for a new job, and took a few extra courses to boost my knowledge base. These jealous nurses have the same or in one case more experience than I do, and those jobs could easily be done by any one of them. But, it's easier to sit and bit*h about something you don't love, rather than make the effort to do something constructive and positive about changing it. Misery loves company. The person who strikes out on their own and actually MAKES changes is the exception. Fitness is no different.

When we lose weight and/or make the effort to get fit, people notice. But it's not easy, and they know that. They see the effort we put forth, and possibly they once tried too and failed. I failed for about 15 years to get back into shape and lose weight. And, I admit it was much easier during that time to rationalize my inability to stick to weight loss and fitness goals, and it was "easy" to slam people who did. Even if I didn't do it out loud, it was easier to do so because by doing so, I was able to rationalize my own failure to reach my goals. I think at the core of all criticism is the realization we ourselves have not reached a similar goal. I say similar, because we may be criticizing someone for something inappropriate they have done, but what we are really doing is rationalizing the fact we ourselves may have done that very same thing, or something similar, and we know that. We want to change the behavior, but have not done so yet. Criticism is often grounded in fear, and that fear is sometimes what we see in ourselves.

Just as I believe anyone can lose weight and get in shape if that's what they want to do, AND if they are willing to put forth the effort and the hard work and committment it takes, I know these same co-workers of mine could find their dream jobs. But, they don't want to put forth the effort. It's easier to crab and moan every night they work, and openly express jealousy for someone who worked hard and found one of those jobs. I got a similar reaction from these same people when I reached my WW goal in October. But you know what? I already knew these are not happy people, and I ignored it. Just like I ignored them last night. I'm not responsible for anyone's words or actions except my own, and neither are any of you. And, like I said on here on one of those threads which were deleted, words have NO power over you ... unless you GIVE them that power. Don't give them the power.

When you're criticized by someone for something, stop for a minute and think before you react. Is the complaint legit? Is this something you should be working on changing for the greater good or for yourself? If not, throw it out. Don't give it power over you. If it's legit, ask for clarification first so you truly understand what they're criticizing, then thank them for their input and walk away. Take some time to think about it when you're alone and quiet, so you can formulate a plan to change only if you really feel you need to. If you're quiet and listen to your heart, you will know if it's something you need to change. If it's not, throw out the complaint and move on. Don't give the person's words power over you, and those words cannot hurt you.

I know I've rambled here, but thanks for listening, and I hope this helps!!

Carol
:)

I started a post earlier and then decided not post it, but I have to speak up. I am "heavier." About 40 pounds overweight. I also work out almost exclusively with Cathe. I can do IMAX 2 and Intense Moves all the way through at the highest level. It's very hurtful that some of the people who visit this board would assume that I'm lazy, that I don't "take care of myself," and that I could lose weight if I just tried hard enough. May you never experience what I started going through in 1999, when I was a healthy weight. I mean that. I don't want anyone to go through the sudden, dramatic weight gain for no reason, the doctors who can't find anything wrong, and the humiliation of knowing what people think of me because of how I look. Threads like this are hurtful and unfortunately, too common here. Even though I'm fat, I would like a safe place to talk about intense workouts, exercise, and health, where I don't feel criticized by the offhand comments made about people who look exactly like I do. It's unfair if they're making nasty comments about thin people who work out, but it doesn't make it okay to paint all fat people with the same brush.

I don't believe anyone made refernce to you being "lazy" if you workout and take care of yourself. Excuse me, but I think you are missing the point of this thread.

>Is it just heavier people?, or is it just that all the people
>you are talking about In your experience just happen to be
>heavy?

I think this is a good question. I'm heavy and have been for years and I don't ever recall being bothered by thin or fit people. Unless they tried to "convert" me or made comments about my lifestyle (fat and sedentary at the time). People who are fat know they are fat and don't need to be told they need to shape up. :) Assuming you weren't doing that, I'd have to say it was the particular people you worked/work with. I work with thin & fit, heavy & fit, heavy & unfit, and thin & unfit (yes they exist!) and I get along great with them all and haven't noticed any "patterns" of anti-workout or anti-thin sentiment. I have gotten nothing but "way to gos!" from all of the groups above for losing 63 lbs. and getting in physical fitness shape. If there's bitterness I certainly haven't seen any directed towards me. I like to talk about working out, but I do it with people I know enjoy the topic...other people who work out also. That pretty much goes for any topic really.

Generalizing is really dangerous and can make people feel very defensive. Something to think about before saying, "Why is it that heavier people are so critical????". Maybe that's part of the answer right there.

The point of this thread is right in the title. "Heavier people" are "so critical." There are at least two references in this thread to "taking care of" oneself and at least one reference to "they could lose weight if they tried hard enough." And there are many references on this board to overweight people being "lazy." The point of this thread is all too clear.

I keep my workout routine to myself. I find that heavier people have the 'sour grapes' attitude becasue maybe they are not motivated or yet ready to approach their weight problem--not every one sees it as a problem. ;)

And the other crowd are the gym people who like to poke fun at home exercise vids/dvds and insist you just can't get a good workout that way. :p I'd like to see them try Cathe's workouts, but you know how hard people are to convince.......

So, I just say nothing and if asked, I tell the truth matter-of-factly and succinctly.

Well Carol,

I have to admit that I found your little ramblings of being critical of others amusing since I have seen you do your fair share of criticizing others on this forum; and sometimes just being down right rude.

Michelle

I don't think there is any point taking personal offence to this post.
I get a little critisism from people (like my overweight, lazy sister.. who I love :) ) but I know it is because they/she secretly wish they had a little more get up and go.. enough to lose thier own weight or to walk more or look as good as you in clothes.
The funny thing is that I am overweight also, probably the same as my sister, and it is the exercise that has kept me at the very least..in reasonable shape for my size.
I think the original poster was speaking from her own personal experiences with the people she herself has encountered in her own life.. I doubt she was making a statement about all overweight people in general.
I know when I weighed 116kg, which is 255lb to you guys.. I was sad and felt out of place within my skinny family.
Even now I look at my little sister who can eat what she wants and looks great even after 2 kids (I've had 4) and I get frustrated.. but never bitter. I have never figured the thin game out!
Please try not to take offence, when threads like this get misconstrued and people take things too personally it can only go one way.. and we need more of the positive here.. less of the negative.
I don't know what else to say, thanks for listening..
Kelly

Mindi, Jenne, Danna and a few of you others.. GREAT posts.

Sorry aquajock.. I have gotta say this is a woman thing... I rarely see guys pitted against eachother... I fear it's a womanly trait to be like this.. stay at home moms vs. working moms, women with kids - no child life style, implants vs. natural... women just have a hard time accepting eachother...

And who ever started the post.. think how you phrased it... right.. not judgemental.. HA HA ... You women are too much some times.

It's totally a shame to limit friends by these petty things.. I work out a lot, but 3 of my closest friends are quite heavy.. one becuase of being in a debilitatin accident - it doesn't make them any worse .. and I' would never talk to them about my working out...

I am single mom and unlike 99% of the population really plan on spending the rest of my life single.. and you know how judgemental everyone is about it..... drives me nuts

Live and let live - folks! Life is to short to be judging everyone else.. that's what middle school is for...

I don't think you can generalize about heavy people being critical. There are just rude people out there no matter what their size. There are people out there who see you doing the things to be healthy and fit and feel bad because they are not and at this point doing anything to help their own health and fitness.

I get comments made at me about being lean. Even from loved ones who are heavier. I'm 6ft tall and have a 30" waist. Now, i'm not skinny, just lean. And people often tell me (heavier people) ... oh you're too lean, you need some more weight. I think it's there way of saying "hey, i feel insecure, so i'm gonna make you feel bad and deflect".

Oh well... funny old world.

I really think though that when people bith and moan in front of people about things like weight, etc... it really says more about them then it does about us.

W x

Although I am replying to the original thread, this post is not intended for anyone or any type of person in particular.

Aside from possibly constructive criticism, criticism stinks. It may be human nature to pass judgment upon others, but what gives any of us the right? Gossiping about others, making generalizations, stereotyping, and assuming you know why a person is the way he or she is, is just plain wrong in my book. Criticism hurts, and if you have a conscience, giving it hurts as much as getting it. I realize that in writing this, I am criticizing criticizers and therefore become one myself. In my everyday life, however, I try to avoid judging others. I am only responsible for my own actions. If I am around others who are critical of me, I try to remove myself from the situation. If my friends are being critical of others, I choose to spend less time with them, and in rare instances, speak up. I do in fact have friends that are very judgmental. It's taken me a long time, but I am finally able to block out their negativity.

I've been on opposite ends of the spectrum for a number of things: overweight, skinny; curly hair, straight hair, great skin, bad skin; broke, excess money to spend; job, no job; school, no school; shy, outgoing; secure, insecure- I could go on forever. Speaking from the point of view of the criticizee, "Don't let it get to you." I know how hard it is, and sometimes you can't let things roll off your back. At the end of the day, you know who you are, and that's what matters.

As my mother always says when she hears someone being critical, (sarcastically) "Gee, it must be hard being perfect."

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.