Why do bodybuilders have big jaws?

Mariela

Cathlete
I have always wondered what makes bodybuilders (men or women) jaws and chins big. Someone please explain this to me.

I think it is from the strain of lifting so heavy!

Ha ha. I don't know either, but like Candi I could not resist :7

Take care,
~Nicole

I have noticed that some of the women in Oxygen have "f'd" up faces. Sometimes it's just the competition photos but other times it's even when they are modeling for exercises and column shots. Kelly Ryan for one (see August cover). Is it from dehydrating the body to get everything to 'pop'?

Anyway...I think the big time body builders are messed up from steroids.

If you can find a picture of Kim Chivesky when she was competing...well, it's a prime example of over dieting and dehydration. Her face is scary, just scary. But in her off season pictures, she looks fine.

Becky

I've read that when they take steroids, and either clench their jaws when lifting, or chew gum, the muscles in the jaw can develop as well as other muscles. Don't know if it's true, but Tom Platz (a bodybuilder in the 1980's with HUGE, and disproportionate quads, had a very exaggerated "chipmunk-cheek" look to his face, and I'm pretty sure he was on 'roids.

Kathryn,

I am never clenching my jaws again!!!! That's some scary stuff! EW! This girl doesn't want to lose her feminity. Uh, uh!!! LOL!!

Charlotte~~

I emailed the question to Tom Venuto and the answer I got was that it is th growth hormone that causes it. He said that most bodybuilders not only abuse steroids but also abuse growth hormone. Growth hormone not only make your muscles grow, but also YOUR BONES and even internal organs. That's what he said.

I have a question about all the girls in that picture...why are their bodies incredibly tan and their faces look so pale? Do they put bronzer just on their bodies for the competition? Why not do their faces as well? It looks a little strange to me...

Missy

It has a lot to do with the fact to be a body builder you have to have a certain type of body which means genetics, and also very low body fat. Another thing is a lot do work their jaws, face etc, so they also get bigger.

But also most body builders don't lift anything compared to what they have in muscle. A weight lifter that is about the same size can lift usually 2 or 3 times more then a body builder. To get those muscles it's high reps, medium weight not heavy as heavy will fatigued the muscle too fast to get those nice big bulky muscles.

I end up being a body builder coach as most of my football players want to have the body of a body builder. So I ended up having to do a lot of research into the area. Most Cathelites lift heavier then a buff body builder during a normal workout, there are a few exceptions but in general it’s a medium weight, with a ton of reps, think 50 + reps, so it builds muscle faster and gives it that huge bulk due to all the reps. As this was also taught in my Body Building Academy class, but in general you just got to have the genetics to do it.

Kit

>Kathryn,
>
>I am never clenching my jaws again!!!!

Well, you can clench your jaws, as long as you're off the 'roids!

>I emailed the question to Tom Venuto and the answer I got was
>that it is th growth hormone that causes it. He said that most
>bodybuilders not only abuse steroids but also abuse growth
>hormone. Growth hormone not only make your muscles grow, but
>also YOUR BONES and even internal organs. That's what he
>said.

Yuk! So they're basically setting themselves up to have something that ressembles the disease that Abraham Lincoln had.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.