Why am I licking the bottom of the brownie bowl.

singinggoddess

Cathlete
I am an intelligent disciplined(really) woman in my late 30's licking the bottom of the brownie bowl like there is never going to be another meal again. What is wrong with me? Do any of you have those moments where you are completely disgusted with yourself? I hate when I do stuff like that. My little girls are looking at me wondering if they will get a turn. Bad mommy moment!

Susan

Oh been there and done that, hating myself every second of the way. Just tell the girls mommy had to be sure the batter was really safe for them. Then remember, a good mother lets her children lick the beaters, but a great mother turns the mixer off first. }( (Sorry)

Lorrie

Eating that brownie dessert with ice cream at Carrabba's this evening I was turning the plate up letting every drop of melted ice cream run in my spoon. I did refrain from licking the plate though as I'm sure DD would have gotten up and left me sitting there.:+

Oh gosh, I have had many of those moments. Usually, I use the rubber scraper and get every lost drop. :) One of my most weakest moments is when I made a cake for my dh. We had a slice that evening. The next day I polished off the entire cake. I went out to buy a new mix, to make a new cake, so he would never know. I couldn't find the right mix--it was a marble cake--so I just bought a yellow cake mix, and made my own chocolate part out of cocoa powder, etc. It was a great cake, but not the same. Dh figured it out, and said, "this isn't the cake from yesterday." Like I said, it was a low moment. :)

For more of these moments, I highly reccommend the book, Tales from the Scale. Fabulous, intelligent, true-life stories. A great book for anybody that has struggled with weight, whether it's 20 or 100 pounds. :)

Lori

And Susan, it's okay to lick the brownie bowl once in a while. It's fun. :) Obviously you have a handle on things, your pic is beautiful. :)

Lori

I had a "low moment" last Christmas. MIL always bakes "cowboy cookies" at Christmas. These have chopped pecans, minature chocolate chips, the best cookie you will ever taste. She literally makes hundreds and hundreds of them for family and friends. My MIL is a nuturer. She thinks food is love, love is food. She sends a tupperware caketaker full of those cookies up here. OMG.... I do okay for one or two days and then..... look out. DH is gone on his job a lot of the week and I was eating those cookies. They were packed in layers very closely with wax paper between the layers. I started re-packing that darn thing putting fewer and fewer cookies in each layer so it wouldn't look like I'd done all the damage I did. Didn't work, he figured it out. "What in the world happened to all of those cookies?" urrrr, ummmm, "I thought the neighbors might like some?" He didn't buy it, he just shook his head. LOL...

Needless to say, I told her not to send that much up here this year. She is a diabetic and can't even eat then but she makes them for us anyway. I told her we'd take a small tin of them and I am going to take about 10 out to ration for myself and send the rest with DH when he go to work.

I started thinking up strategies in December.

LOL! Yes, I think most of us have had those moments....my personal weakness is raw chocolate chip cookie dough...yummy! I seem to have a lot of hazy memories involving college, too much partying and raw cookie dough...

Tammy

No no no!!! I am cringing inside at the possibility that you just food poisoned yourself and your kids! I am assuming you ate the batter, and not the caked on remains of the brownies in the pan after they were cooked and scooped out to a platter.

Never never never eat anything with raw eggs or uncooked flour in it! I am assuming that your brownies had both. Uncooked eggs can be contaminated with salmonella and/or e.coli and should never ever be eaten raw (especially by children). Raw flour can also be contaminated with bacteria from rat poop.

You might have eaten cake batter and cookie dough all your life without a problem, but the one time you eat it and get sick for a month from salmonella food poisoning to the point that you wish you could die, you will NEVER eat cake batter or cookie dough again.

Jane, my MIL does the same thing, except her specialty is a oatmeal raisin cookie made with mollases. They have the odd quality that no matter how many you eat you don't become sick. I don't think it's necessary to send us home with 100 cookies. It's cruel and usual punsishment. :) Usually I end up throwing them in the trash, just to get them out of my site, or better than that, send them with my husband to work--let somebody else eat them. :)

Lori

True catwoman, but this is so rare. Eggs are so safe now a days. I live for a real cesar dressing made with raw eggs.

I disagree. They are more contaminated with e.coli than ever. My biochemist father has told me many interesting stories, and I have read many interesting accounts. I wouldn't take any chances...both salmonella and e.coli WILL kill children if they are infected badly enough.

LOL, I have many moments when I'm disgusted with myself. I'm feel so grateful that the only ones that see me are my cats, and I don't think they'll tell. I keep telling myself I'll have to change once I have kids around, but even that dream is fading to the harsh reality.
I have TONS of fond memories of watching my mom lick the bowl, etc. Be careful when your kids get older- I spent some time as a teen with a camera in my hand when my mom was baking. I've got some great photos!!! Seriously, it was fun to see her as a "real" person, who liked the stuff just like me.
I do have one line I refuse to cross (and truly, only one): I will not eat out of the garbage can. Sometimes my husband will see that I'm stuffing myself and I'll ask him later why he didn't take it away. That guy can move pretty fast sometimes! He'll grab the bag (usually a bag of chips) and put it in the trash can so quickly.
I say, keep up the good Mommy work. I think showing your kids you're just as real as they are is a really really good thing for moms to do.

Okay, you guys are hilarious. Susan, the only thing different I would have done is made sure there was no one else around so that I wouldn't have to share}(
Sherry

Susan,

You aren't alone. I have No Pudge Brownie Mix in the house for the purpose of eating the batter and ate some today. No raw eggs required. :9 My DD can enjoy the batter too. Great role model huh? :)

I know I was just complaining about Dove caramels and today I am eating brownie batter... what can I say... I'm a mess.

Autumn

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, what are you all doing to me?? It is 10:48 and I am salavitating! I want some brownies and cake mix now!! And sadly I don't have any. Is there any way to email some cake mix? He!He! I am going to brush my teeth and mouthwash,so I can't go raid the kitchen. Hey, it works!

I'm just full of it tonight ladies!

kim

Oh yes-- with me it is usually Edys Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough Ice Cream-- I swear it can not be in the house for more then 24 hours before the WHOLE CONTAINER is GONE (and I mean the big container).

Oh and then there are the pringles/peanut butter cup sandwiches that I'm famous for when I'm PMSing. }(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.