Who makes the best heart rate monitors

Caitlin, I've been very happy with my Polar. Next time I need a new one, I don't think I'll even consider another brand since it has worked so well for me.

Heart rate monitor

I just ordered a Polar FT heart rate monitor now. At least it was within my budget.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of Heart rate monitor.
I am doing some homework to buy a new one. I noticed they are all pretty expensive. I hope other cathletes share their opinion.

At the moment I am using one providing the heart rate while I am working out. I do not really need to know calories expenditures while I am working out. What is missing is I can not set intervals on it. I have to use my separate device.

What brand has interval and heart rate display while the exercise program is running? Ideally I would like a good one which can last.

Thanks

Polar Heart Rate monitors are the best. The one I have now is about 12-15 years old - only had to send it in to replace the battery otherwise - I love it. Highly recommend Polar Heart Rate monitors.

I would live to have one that the watch isn't so large on the wrist. I also found that during certain exercises (live stability ball abs) the chest strap would stop working. Do you have to have the chest strap? Is there one out there that isn't so large on the wrist?

Kim

Kim, I have a chest strap but I've never had it stop working at all. It only stopped working when I got to close to the TV once, I had to grab something on top of the TV and noticed that it the monitor went to "00" (weird, right) but maybe the TV's magnetic-something interfered with the monitoring device.

I have very skinny wrist and find the Polar HR monitor I have very comfortable.

One caution: Do NOT purchase a Sportline 1010. I bought one that was fairly reasonably priced and looked simple. HA -- I had to have help from tech support to set it up and to get it to run. Not intuitive at all and a terrible manual. Then, once it was running, it is inaccurate! Today I did a workout that was 1 hour and 12 minutes long. The Sportline said I burned 894 calories -- don't I WISH??? I had done the same workout while using my old Polar, and it said I burned a much more likely 374 calories. When I called to tell the customer service of this discrepancy, they just insist their calorie expenditures are correct. I will never buy any other HRM except a Polar. I've learned my lesson! AVOID Sportlines.

I'm glad for this thread too. I've been looking at HRM for years but have yet to get one. Does anyone know the difference between the FT1, FT4, FT6, FT7 and so on? Its very confusing! Do they all come with a chest strap. Do they all monitor the same stuff.......HR, calories burned, sleep etc? Also, is there a risk buying one on e-bay? I've seen decent prices on e-bay (new and used). Thanks for all your input!

I'm glad for this thread too. I've been looking at HRM for years but have yet to get one. Does anyone know the difference between the FT1, FT4, FT6, FT7 and so on? Its very confusing! Do they all come with a chest strap. Do they all monitor the same stuff.......HR, calories burned, sleep etc? Also, is there a risk buying one on e-bay? I've seen decent prices on e-bay (new and used). Thanks for all your input!

I heard many people mentioning FT4.

I am not keen on purchasing from Ebay. I would rather pay the full amount shall it be expensive. I think I will go for polar as a brand. Still need to decide which one of the FT i should go for. Chest band does not bother me. Thanks again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_11ouv9acil_b

I have the ft4 and I am happy with it. I Like that I can change the batteries my self. For some of the other polar models (older ones I think) you have to send it to the manufacturer to have the battery changed. I like my chest strap because the transmitter is small and the rest of the strap is flexible and fits nicely under my bra strap. I had a garmen GPS with heart rate monitor before and the strap was not as comfortable. Another thing to consider is if you want to track your workouts on a computer. Some have the option to load the data to a software. This did not interest me so I don't know which ones do that. Happy shopping!

I ordered the Polars FT4 HTM from Heartrate monitors.com. I have two others that need batters, but I have no car to Modell's.

Another vote for the Polar FT4, newer model. I had older ones that you could not change the batteries in the watch or the strap. Now you can do both yourself. So much better!

The F7 I had was too complicated, it had things on there that I never used, so I went with the FT4 and have been very happy with it.

Other than heart rate and calories burned, what are the reasons to use a heart rate monitor? I've been working out with Cathe for 10 yrs or so and have never used one for more than 1 week but now I'm thinking of retrying. Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Kim

I have the polar 4 and it works great. I only wear it if I'm in a "cut" wanting to loose some fat. The calorie count is pretty accurate for me. I will usually set an amount I want to burn in exercise each week. The only time I routinely use it is during Hiit workouts. The idea of short workouts only are successful if you get to that anaerobic threshold but you can go to far. I'm at an age were exercise can be great but also can hurt you if done wrong.

I'm also in peri menopause years which suck and I get the occasional PVC (palpitations) which can be disconcerting if I didn't have the medical background knowing they aren't dangerous.

But it also makes me aware that I'm really pushing my heart muscle and like my other muscles which I stretch and give rest/recover time between weight training days . My heart needs the same attention.

To Kim,

Other than heart rate I would like to use the HR monitor to set my intervals and have details stored in the memory. Not just a basic set. I would like to be able to set an interval program. The one I currently have has not got it.I do not necessarily need the info to be uploaded onto PC or laptop through wireless feature.

This is what I need.:):)

Other than heart rate and calories burned, what are the reasons to use a heart rate monitor? I've been working out with Cathe for 10 yrs or so and have never used one for more than 1 week but now I'm thinking of retrying. Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Kim

Hi Kim,

I have a very basic Polar F1. It does heart rate. That's it and shows me my maximum and average heart rate for a given session. It has no memory, but it is all I need for my purposes.
I only use it for spinning/cycling because I need to know if I'm working in the training heart rate range specified for a particular training session. For example, if I'm doing an aerobic base building ride, I need to keep my heart rate in that training zone, keep it steady in that range, and not overdo it.
If I'm doing an aerobic threshold ride, I need to be sure I am working hard enough to get in that higher heart rate range and know how quickly I am recovering (how fast my heart rate drops).

I don't care about calories burned or keeping a log. I'm really simple in that fashion. :D

I've been working out with Cathe's DVDs for maybe 11 or 12 years. I've never used a HRM for Cathe's workouts or for walking. I walk nearly every day.

Just my preference. I find simpler is better for me. If I weren't doing the cycling training programs, I wouldn't have one.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

I was given a Polar FT60, and I love it. Like others, I use it to judge how hard I'm working during HIIT, and other tough sessions. I also like my heart rate to come down to a certain level between sets whilst lifting. I'm not particularly concerned with calories burned, although it does give a useful measure of how one workout compares to another, or if I'm improving at a certain workout.

I like to log my data and get a 'training load' for the week (done automatically). It keeps me in check so that I don't overtrain (cardio-wise). I also like using the Polar 'fit test', as a measure of how my fitness is improving.

I'm a bit (lot?) of a numbers geek, though......

Thanks for all your opinions. I'm a numbers geek too. I always track everything I do and make lists for everything, drives my husband crazy. I don't do any cycling or running so I'll just have to think about this. I just turned 40yrs old and didn't know if I should keep better track of certain things or just do what I've been doing and keeping track of it on my own.

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.