who here trys to get your freinds and family to exercise ?

I am too busy trying to get myself to exercise }(

But seriously, every once in a while I'll talk to my DH about exercising or his current lack thereof, but only if he asks me how things are going with my exercise program and tries to give me "unsolicited" exercise advise.

I talk to my kids about the importance of a healthy diet and exercise, I will take them on walks/runs and every so often they exercise with me, doing a Cathe DVD - but that's their own choice and usually only 10 or 15 minutes (they are only 7 and 11 years old).

My friends know about my obsession with healthy eating and exercise but I usually don't talk to them about it, unless they ask me. My thought is that they are old enough to make their decisions, I will be there to help them IF they ask.
I have noticed that a lot of times if you (or me in this case) are trying to talk people into something, they'll do the complete opposite. It's gonna have to be their own idea, otherwise it won't work. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Carola

i would love for my sister to. she's 4'11" and 155 lbs. her diet is horrible but my main reason is that we have a family history of heart attacks. my dad, his dad, and two uncles have all undergone bypass surgery and my grandfather died from a heart attack. my mom's dad was a diabetic and died from a stroke. knowing that i am a mom and a wife just lit a fire under me. i can't be so selfish and not care about being here for my children, . .she also has two young children. it is just so important to adopt exercise and healthy eating as a lifestyle and not a temporary thing. i would also love to have someone to workout with every now and then but my sister is the type to drive across the street to the store instead of walk. it's a hard thing to try to convince family to exercise too, . . they may take offense and think that you think that they are overweight. either way, . . .each and every person needs to do it on their own terms when they are ready. trying to force someone just makes them resentful and they be less likely to be successful.

sorry for the misunderstanding i never force anyone!!!!!!!!!! im not that type of person i dont believ in forcing anyone to do anything i never said force anything!!!!!theres nothing worse than a pushey woman

>sorry for the misunderstanding i never force anyone!!!!!!!!!!
>im not that type of person i dont believ in forcing anyone to
>do anything i never said force anything!!!!!theres nothing
>worse than a pushey woman

I wasn't talking about forcing either. I meant to say it is hard to "get" people to exercise, it has to come from them. The only thing I can suggest, is, teach by example.

Hope this helps.

Carola

oh well thanks for your answer yes example is always good and yes your rightwe have to be careful with suggestions

>oh well thanks for your answer yes example is very good
>always

Maybe you can explain what you meant by "getting your friends and family to exercise", I took it as kind of a little nudge to exercise or trying to convince them. But I maybe reading your post wrong. You seem disappointed in the answers.

Have a great evening!

Carola

i suggest it but dont push at all every now and then i will say how good exercise is but i dont harp on it i always beleive if you push someone they go the other way i should not have used the word get

I cannot help but talk about fitness. I ask for presents that are fitness oriented. I do pass along stuff to my family. They all know that I have a room devoted to it. I give dvd's to those that express interest. Both of my daughters and my dil are interested. Not at the level that I am :) I would love to have them all discover weight training. They are mostly into cardio and fat burning exercise. I have given away some dumbbells and ankle weights. I also have had a couple of male family members talking to me about using my equipment. It is hard to not be enthusiastic about something that produces results.
http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

diane sue you have a great...... body i just seen your picture wow!!!! do you lift heavy weights? ive been keeping mine light so i wouldnt bulk:)

yea, but i've given up on some people because they are not interested or simply cant get motivated. at work i have gotten 4 co-workers interested in p90x but thats it.

laura

Thanks, I do lift fairly heavy weights. I post on the Hardcore check in what weights I lift. As heavy as I can go but I do a lot of cardio which I think keeps me fairly lean.

I do. My sibblings. I have 4 sisters and 4 brothers. I'm in the middle.

It goes in one ear and out the other. I'm waisting my time. It's been years and still they eat unhealthy just as much or more so now. No exercises, it hurts them. Jeesh! Wish I could sit everyone down and just spank them. Or spank them and sit them down.

They are going to leave me behind. All alone. I'm so angry with them I could spit fire.

Guess that's why I choose water to swim in.:7

The idea is to die young as late as possible

Janie

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

RE: who here trys to get your freinds and family to exe...

I only try to influence people around me to work out if they bring it up first OR start complaining that they are overweight, out of shape, etc. Since studying to become a personal trainer I must have had atleast 5 people tell me they wanted to train with me/be an "at home" client once I am certified. I will gladly do it but I have to wonder if even ONE of them is going to see this through!

I lke to help people out, I'll pass along stuff but some people get offended. One person actually told me not to talk to them about health and fitness because they were too busy for that right now. So it's "don't ask, don't tell".

After I had my son I was 160 and had never worked out a day in my life, I was clueless, I had no idea what I was doing and would have loved it if some one helped me out. I am so grateful to have discovered this site, you ladies are awesome. :)

I talk about it for myself. If someone expresses interest I will offer them a Cathe (one of the basic step DVDs). I don't push the issue as most would resent it--one needs to want to make the changes.

This is a thread on which this group touches on a regular basis. I totally agree with the others that all you can do is lead by example. We all have endless instances of being rejected (so to speak) by those whom we are trying to help out. When you know how good you feel with a clean diet and vigorous exercise you just want to howl it to the world! And especially those about whom you care! There is some weird psychology that our friends and families would rather criticize us and call us health nuts than listen to us and try it out themselves. I'm afraid I have ended up being a little sarcastic about it. A remark like, "I hate you. You're so thin," now gets a response like, "Well, I don't hate you even though you are NOT thin..."}( But mostly it makes me sad that they don't get it. And it makes me MAD that they don't get it because those who refuse to educate themselves and take care of themselves (and that is the case - it is their choice. Anyone can pick up a magazine in the checkoutline at the grocery store, regardless of economic status, race, etc. and read the ubiquitous headlines about diet and exercise solving the health problems that are rampant in our country) are costing ME money in the form of insurance coverage because they flood our medical system with self-created illness.

Maybe if we all stopped being so polite (please do not tell my mother) and read them the riot act and asked them to please hand us $20 everytime they decided to eat KFC instead of a nice big salad, to cover our insurance premium increases due to their selfish decision, it might begin to have an impact.

Whoa - I'm getting hot about this. Deep breath...

I have recommended it in the past but I get tired of hearing excuses. I decided that I should keep most of my "recommendations" to myself unless asked. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.