who here trys to get your freinds and family to exercise ?

>I have recommended it in the past but I get tired of hearing
>excuses. I decided that I should keep most of my
>"recommendations" to myself unless asked. :)

Ditto!

I don't nudge or push people, but when people ask me (like they always do) how I find time/motiviation/will power/desire... to exercise like I do, I simply reply, "I think exercise is the single most important thing you can do for your body." Then I give the analogy of letting a car sit and what happens. And I say that I like the way I feel when I exercise. That's it. I don't preach and I don't do anything more, except that when people tell me they are taking this class or that class, I applaud them and encourage them.

It works, too - I have a group of ladies who are all about my age (in their 40's) who started running in January. They ran their first 5k last weekend and are planning for a 12k (run what they can, walk the rest) in May and are hoping to complete a half marathon in October. They are doing it on their own (too embarrassed to run with me which is really funny as I'm slow), but they report to me every time I see them.

I also have a friend who now takes pilates regulary because she enjoys it (and she's always hated exercise). I figure anything is better than nothing.

Now if I can only get my very overweight friend to stop thinking that taking any kind of pills, supplements, etc are a good substitute for fruits and veggies, I'll be ahead of the game, but I think that's a losing battle. At least she does yoga once a week. It's SOMETHING...

>Now if I can only get my very overweight friend to stop
>thinking that taking any kind of pills, supplements, etc are a
>good substitute for fruits and veggies, I'll be ahead of the
>game, but I think that's a losing battle. At least she does
>yoga once a week. It's SOMETHING...

LOL, Christine! I had a friend like that, too. She was (and is) pretty overweight and so is her 11-year-old daughter now, pretty sad!

Anyway, I did convince her to do at least 15 to 20 min. of exercise every second day and watch her diet. 3 days later she gave me back the DVDs (not Cathe by the way) and she told me that I was a "nut job" because I exercise so much.

Every week she would come up with another fad diet or supplement, or diet pill. She even joined L.A Weightloss (among others), paid uddles of money upfront and quit after less than a week.

She used to drive me insane because her thought of exercise was lifting the beer bottle :eek::eek: All "weightloss programs" had to be modified to include her alcohol consumption.

My all-time favorite was, that she told me, she could drink as many Captain Morgan's with Diet Pepsi/Coke as she wanted on this new diet, because it had no carbs. Oky doky, then!

Some people just can't be helped I guess. Don't know what new program she is on these days, don't talk to her anymore. Too many alcohol related problems for my taste.

Carola

No. I used to but I gave up b/c I learned this comes from within--someone is not gonna get into exercise & stay into it unless they really want to. Sure I talk about it w/my close friends & family, but that's b/c it's such a huge part of my life--it's talk, never "you should try........" I never ask someone if they want to borrow a Cathe DVD or if they want to come to the gym w/me for some free PT b/c I got tired of their excuses.

My last training partner was a great example of how frustrating this can be. SHE asked ME if she could train w/me. She started out full force but then started skipping workouts (nail appointments, social events, yadda yadda yadda). Then it got to a point where she just did part of my routine which frustrated me even more b/c it's been developed over the last 20 years & each day has a specific purpose. Every part of my split is done to complement the other parts of my split. I told her she couldn't just pick & choose which body part she wanted to work on & which she didn't b/c she'd end up completely out of proportion. At that point she just bailed. :-(

So I stay to myself, do my thing at the gym & don't correct ridiculous exercises & improper form, & have stopped trying to get people to love something as much as I do.

RE: who here trys to get your freinds and family to exe...

My sister actually does my cast off's...she likes more beginner to intermediate type workouts and she is not as into it as I am, but she does it quite regularly. She is not adament about finishing a workout if she runs out of time, doesn't plan rotations, doesn't post obsessively on fitness boards (LOL!!!:7 ), but I definitely influenced her to where she now has developed the habit of working out at home. I have shared many workouts with my best friend in Michigan and she does tape workouts off of Fitness TV, has a step, some light weights, and a cardio machine (can't remember what though). My mom does it some and askes me questions when she needs advice. So, yes, I've gotten some family members into it, but it's more they ask me questions and show an interest and I've set them on their way, sharing my workouts, thoughts, etc...but do I go around recruiting people...no way!!! I'm sure I would get some raised eyebrows.}( :7
Angela:7

Nope! I'm interested in my own health and fitness, but honestly, everyone else is on their own!

I am fortunate enough to have mostly healthy family and friends, but even if that were not so, I don't try to impose my exercising on anybody else.

Only if my family/friends ask me about it! My DM complains about her weight and I tell her what I would suggest,but agian,goes in one ear and out the other!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.