who has tried P90x

Forgive me, I know we already have a thread going but there are endless posts and other things on there, so my only question is?

Who has tried P90x?

What do you think?

I already have a push-up/pull-up tower, what else would I need? I have green tubing and a couple of dynabands (red and light green). And of course I have tons of weights. Is there anything else I would need?

I'm looking at the workouts and the cardio dosen't look that hard, but I have imax 1,2 and KPC and plenty of other hard cardio.

Is this series worth it?

It looks interesting.

Thanks,
Kristie

yes it's worth it. :) the only other things you would need is a yoga mat and possibly yoga blocks. i've just never seen such quick improvement on a fitness program before. not in terms of weight loss or muscle gain, but in terms of increased flexibility and increased strength. i improve each and every time i do a workout.

yes it's worth it. :) the only other things you would need is a yoga mat and possibly yoga blocks. i've just never seen such quick improvement on a fitness program before. not in terms of weight loss or muscle gain, but in terms of increased flexibility and increased strength. i improve each and every time i do a workout.

ok......i started the origional thread...i split an order and i have the cardio dvds...i was most looking forward to the plyo...the moves are tough...i was dying..BUT.. the music is TERRIBLE and tony is an idiot!! i would KILL for cathe to design and lead a workout like this!! i will use it because it was so heavily sports drilled and a major sweatfest...and it will improve my cardio capacity..and my butt is fried too!!;)

ok......i started the origional thread...i split an order and i have the cardio dvds...i was most looking forward to the plyo...the moves are tough...i was dying..BUT.. the music is TERRIBLE and tony is an idiot!! i would KILL for cathe to design and lead a workout like this!! i will use it because it was so heavily sports drilled and a major sweatfest...and it will improve my cardio capacity..and my butt is fried too!!;)

that's interesting. i suppose everyone has different likes and dislikes in a fitness instructor. i absolutely adore Tony Horton and his style. and he is seriously easy on the eyes (as are all of the people in each workout) he is silly sometimes but i never get tired of it and he cracks me up. i think working out shouldn't only be about working hard, but it should be fun too. in fact, i think i may have just stumbled onto the reason for my diligence with this program. i never get bored. Tony makes it fun. he makes me laugh. i look forward to working out with him every single day. i don't feel like "i have to work out tonight". i feel like "i GET to work out tonight". it's like hanging out with one of your goofball friends. but he knows when to push you hard too.

when a workout is fun, i tend to stick with it. i like the music too. i normally don't notice the music at all, but with this music, it's easy to find the groove and push yourself along with it. maybe it's the musician in me, but i think the music they selected is great all around because it doesn't interfere with your concentration, yet it pulls you along with the tempo and the dynamics.

that's interesting. i suppose everyone has different likes and dislikes in a fitness instructor. i absolutely adore Tony Horton and his style. and he is seriously easy on the eyes (as are all of the people in each workout) he is silly sometimes but i never get tired of it and he cracks me up. i think working out shouldn't only be about working hard, but it should be fun too. in fact, i think i may have just stumbled onto the reason for my diligence with this program. i never get bored. Tony makes it fun. he makes me laugh. i look forward to working out with him every single day. i don't feel like "i have to work out tonight". i feel like "i GET to work out tonight". it's like hanging out with one of your goofball friends. but he knows when to push you hard too.

when a workout is fun, i tend to stick with it. i like the music too. i normally don't notice the music at all, but with this music, it's easy to find the groove and push yourself along with it. maybe it's the musician in me, but i think the music they selected is great all around because it doesn't interfere with your concentration, yet it pulls you along with the tempo and the dynamics.

I noticed that there are only 3 cardio tapes. Does it seem like there is not enough cardio? It seems like from the other threads that the only really great cardio tape is the plyo, the other two, kenpo and cardio are just ok. Do people agree?

It just seems like a lot of money to spend $150, for something where I might not use all the tapes. I don't feel like I need a nutrition plan etc. I thought about trying to split it with someone but I want plyo and the weight tapes so that might be hard.

What are some other thoughts??

I noticed that there are only 3 cardio tapes. Does it seem like there is not enough cardio? It seems like from the other threads that the only really great cardio tape is the plyo, the other two, kenpo and cardio are just ok. Do people agree?

It just seems like a lot of money to spend $150, for something where I might not use all the tapes. I don't feel like I need a nutrition plan etc. I thought about trying to split it with someone but I want plyo and the weight tapes so that might be hard.

What are some other thoughts??

I thinks Tony is great. I love his humor and he is very motivating. (Don't forget! You can use "cues only" in the audio selection and don't have to hear his comments.)
He makes you want to do better and I like that. I also think that the music is great and goes with the each workout very well. These are the most motivating workouts I done for a long time. It's like you are meeting with a bunch of friends for a workout. There is humor and alot of competition, but in a good way. They push you to 'want' to go to another level of fitness. At least they do for me.

Some say that KenpoX and CardioX are not that intense. But, they are made that way for a reason if you follow their rotations. KenpoX comes at the end of a really tough week, so you are NOT looking for another Plyometrics by this time, your body is tired. But don't be fooled, it is still a advanced workout. CardioX was made to be a Second workout of the day, this comes into the (classic)rotation on the second phase for those who want and are ready for even more. It was also made for people who cannot tolerate high impact type workouts. I have not done this workout yet, so I can't comment on it's intensity just yet. I do know if I want to do 2 workouts a day. I want one to be less intense.

I also agree about how these workouts will make you more flexible. This seems to always be missing in other workouts programs. You have 2 days of stretching! One day of Yoga and one of just stretches. It's amazing how much this helps your all around fitness.

I broke down and bought a yoga block, that's the only thing I had to buy for these workouts. The yoga is not for whimps.;-)

I thinks Tony is great. I love his humor and he is very motivating. (Don't forget! You can use "cues only" in the audio selection and don't have to hear his comments.)
He makes you want to do better and I like that. I also think that the music is great and goes with the each workout very well. These are the most motivating workouts I done for a long time. It's like you are meeting with a bunch of friends for a workout. There is humor and alot of competition, but in a good way. They push you to 'want' to go to another level of fitness. At least they do for me.

Some say that KenpoX and CardioX are not that intense. But, they are made that way for a reason if you follow their rotations. KenpoX comes at the end of a really tough week, so you are NOT looking for another Plyometrics by this time, your body is tired. But don't be fooled, it is still a advanced workout. CardioX was made to be a Second workout of the day, this comes into the (classic)rotation on the second phase for those who want and are ready for even more. It was also made for people who cannot tolerate high impact type workouts. I have not done this workout yet, so I can't comment on it's intensity just yet. I do know if I want to do 2 workouts a day. I want one to be less intense.

I also agree about how these workouts will make you more flexible. This seems to always be missing in other workouts programs. You have 2 days of stretching! One day of Yoga and one of just stretches. It's amazing how much this helps your all around fitness.

I broke down and bought a yoga block, that's the only thing I had to buy for these workouts. The yoga is not for whimps.;-)

i've been doing cathe workouts for several years and i think the cardio and the kenpo are great. as sunnyside mentioned, if you did them alone you might find them a bit light. but doing them in the sequence that is listed, they are appropriate. i'm doing the Lean rotation so doing KenpoX the day after doing Legs and Back is brutal. also, he continuously shows you ways to make things more (or less) challenging.

if you want MORE cardio, there is an option for Doubles. which i believe gives you an additional cardio workout three times a week. i know a few women doing this, but they are adding biking or running as their extra cardio rather than the CardioX workout.

the cost is for the whole program, not just the workouts. the nutrition book (with recipes). the fitness book. all very informative. i don't know if there are any plans to release the workouts individually, as they are meant to be part of the whole program.

i've been doing cathe workouts for several years and i think the cardio and the kenpo are great. as sunnyside mentioned, if you did them alone you might find them a bit light. but doing them in the sequence that is listed, they are appropriate. i'm doing the Lean rotation so doing KenpoX the day after doing Legs and Back is brutal. also, he continuously shows you ways to make things more (or less) challenging.

if you want MORE cardio, there is an option for Doubles. which i believe gives you an additional cardio workout three times a week. i know a few women doing this, but they are adding biking or running as their extra cardio rather than the CardioX workout.

the cost is for the whole program, not just the workouts. the nutrition book (with recipes). the fitness book. all very informative. i don't know if there are any plans to release the workouts individually, as they are meant to be part of the whole program.

I agree that if you do the workouts as indicated in the Classic rotation it is tough! I am still trying to figure out which sadist decided that KenpoX should fall in the rotation the day after Legs & Back. My tushie is so sore I can barely lift my leg for the kicks in Kenpo.

I love this set but when I miss my Cathe's I throw in KPC, SP&J or something to get my fill.

I need a yoga block as well. A board is more flexible then me...poo!

I agree that if you do the workouts as indicated in the Classic rotation it is tough! I am still trying to figure out which sadist decided that KenpoX should fall in the rotation the day after Legs & Back. My tushie is so sore I can barely lift my leg for the kicks in Kenpo.

I love this set but when I miss my Cathe's I throw in KPC, SP&J or something to get my fill.

I need a yoga block as well. A board is more flexible then me...poo!

I've been following the P90X classic rotation for 3 weeks now (I jumped in somewhere in the middle, so I need to do another round before getting to my rest week). I love it! As others have mentioned, it's not a tough cardio-based workout, but the cardio that is included fits in nicely in the entire rotation.

I don't think of Tony as an "idiot," though his sense of humor may not be to everyone's liking (which makes the "cues and music only" or "music only" options good). He's definitely not as goofy as he is in the "Power Half Hour" series. Bear in mind that I think that South Park is a hoot!

I find Tony to be very motivating. He pushes you by encouraging you to "Do your best and forget the rest."

I think I'm in my best shape ever. My strength has improved (even above and beyond what I had gotten to with Slow and HEavy and other Cathe workouts), I'm more flexible, and I feel like I'm working hard, just on the verge of overworking at times, but not reaching the"bad" zone.

I intend to stick with the program for the entire 90 days (which will be a bit more than 90 days for me, as I'm doing 3 1/2 weeks instead of 3 in the first part, and I may take an extra stretch or rest day here and there). I've loved what I've seen so far, and I hope to continue to see improvements.

As for what you need, it's possible to do the back workouts without bands or a pull-up bar. FOr the Chest/Back workout, which is almost all pull-ups for the back exercises, I found a substitution that worked well for me. I did heavy 1-arm rows for the first two back exercises (one side each time), then heavy pullovers (incline, lying on my Bodywedge 21) for the next two, then repeated that, upping the weights the second time around. Worked fine, and I felt the work in my lats on the pullovers.

No barbells are used, which is nice.
A mat (like the Home Depot squares) is necessary for the plyo workout.

I've been following the P90X classic rotation for 3 weeks now (I jumped in somewhere in the middle, so I need to do another round before getting to my rest week). I love it! As others have mentioned, it's not a tough cardio-based workout, but the cardio that is included fits in nicely in the entire rotation.

I don't think of Tony as an "idiot," though his sense of humor may not be to everyone's liking (which makes the "cues and music only" or "music only" options good). He's definitely not as goofy as he is in the "Power Half Hour" series. Bear in mind that I think that South Park is a hoot!

I find Tony to be very motivating. He pushes you by encouraging you to "Do your best and forget the rest."

I think I'm in my best shape ever. My strength has improved (even above and beyond what I had gotten to with Slow and HEavy and other Cathe workouts), I'm more flexible, and I feel like I'm working hard, just on the verge of overworking at times, but not reaching the"bad" zone.

I intend to stick with the program for the entire 90 days (which will be a bit more than 90 days for me, as I'm doing 3 1/2 weeks instead of 3 in the first part, and I may take an extra stretch or rest day here and there). I've loved what I've seen so far, and I hope to continue to see improvements.

As for what you need, it's possible to do the back workouts without bands or a pull-up bar. FOr the Chest/Back workout, which is almost all pull-ups for the back exercises, I found a substitution that worked well for me. I did heavy 1-arm rows for the first two back exercises (one side each time), then heavy pullovers (incline, lying on my Bodywedge 21) for the next two, then repeated that, upping the weights the second time around. Worked fine, and I felt the work in my lats on the pullovers.

No barbells are used, which is nice.
A mat (like the Home Depot squares) is necessary for the plyo workout.

Kathryn,

What are Home Depot Squares?

I start my first P90X rotation tomorrow - I was going to go with the lean rotation - but there doesn't appear to be any chest during the first three weeks, so I thought I start with the classic rotation.

Margie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.