Which is better jogging or cycle classes??

barbell99

Hello All :)

I recently started taking spin classes at my club and was wondering what everyone's opinion was about it. I have always been a runner (around 4-7 miles 3 days a week)with lifting weights on opposite days.

I noticed that between the two my legs are not only getting big (there is definition in them, but very bulky)but my feet and ankles are starting to ache when I wake up in the morning.

Anyway, I thought cycle classes may be the answer.

Will the cycle class keep my definition or will I loose it from not running? will I burn just as much fat as if I were running?

I ran the other day and I could not belive how sore I was after that, like I am not working those specific muscles when spinning. That makes me a little worried.

Hope someone can help me.

Sincerely,
Lonnie

Why not do both? I run and spin and find that the two activities complement each other perfectly. And it's good to do a variety of activities so that you keep your muscles from getting used to doing the same thing over and over. My opinion is that you will get great results from running and cycling.
Have fun!
Erica

Whether you burn more calories running or cycling depends on your exertion. You can burn more calories running vs. cycling if you run faster than if you cycle at a leisurly pace. OTOH, you will burn more calories cycling if you cycle at a higher intensity than when you run at a less intense pace.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, all things being equal, you burn more calories running vs. cycling.

I believe the only other exercise that equals running in terms of caloric expenditure is rowing (not sure, but I know there's something that burns more than running).

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

I also think you should switch between both. I know what you mean about soreness- I get sooo sore after a run if I haven't run in awhile, but spinning doesn't make me sore much. However, this doesn't mean spinning doesn't work your legs because it does! Spinning (or cycle class) is a great high intensity calorie burner that really hits your butt and legs. Just be careful not to overdo it since you can already feel aches. These workouts are both really tough, so make sure to stretch a lot (yoga is a great balance). I wouldn't worry too much about losing tone. Maybe add hills to your run to make your legs get a harder workout.

The one variation that favors running over cycling is the fact that it's weight bearing exercise and therefore, requires more work from your body. In cycling, the cycle picks up some of that work. But as these wise ladies pointed out, cycling is a beautiful crosstraining method for running becasse all that impact is hard on the body. I have never taken a spinning class but I hope to in the future becuase I have heard wonderful things about them. Runners have the best bone density and it gives a great burn but cycling is wonderful for the large muscles of the legs and spinning is very high intensity from what I have heard. Sounds like the best of both worlds!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice :) I will switch up my work outs then. I took another spinning class today, and man let me tell ya, you could wring out my shirt and get puddles!! It was awsome!! I understand the difference now and will work my body accordingly.

Thanks Again, and a happy work out to all.

Lonnie

In my opinion you can in fact get as much of a calorie burn from spin as jogging--but you have to work on your form. I have been doing spin for almost a year now and before I went off on therapy had been asked to get certified by my gym so I can teach (yippee! Can't wait, 8 weeks)
Anywho, in spin all it takes to burn up calories is to up your tension. Like upping your step height, it makes a difference. Also, spinning in a "tuck" position burns a lot more calories than spinning in "jog" position, and the hover is just a killer.
Jogging is just fab for calorie burn and a lean body, but it gets hard on the joints. I agree cross training is best, but myself have had huge gains in cardio capacity from spin. I can't lift weights anymore because of a back injury, and spin has thinned my thighs right up.
Spin is all about your instructor. I have taken classes that were truly worthless to me, but might be great say for a beginning exerciser. I am lucky to have learned from the best.
IMHO. :)

I completely agree about the instructor comment! If you have a poor instructor- like someone who's unorganized, takes too long of breaks between moves, or doesn't have good music (good music is soooo important!)- the class can seem forever! It stinks spending an hour on a workout that doesn't make you feel good when it's over.

Also, I read that running is one of the few forms of cardio that's good for your bones (mentioned in above post) which can ward off osteoporosis.

I also heard that running is good for your bones, but isn't it bad for your joints?? I never had problems with my feet or knees until I started running.

Spinning just seems like it is less stress on my joints, but a major calorie burner!

If you are healthy and strong it really isn't bad for the joints. My joints haven't deteriorated in any way but I do have problems with my feet so which are high arched. With the right shoes and a sensible approach, it's awesome. As for burning more calories spinning, it's possible but it depends on how much you weigh, how fast you run and how long you go and how vigorously you spin.

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 06:01PM (Est)[/font][p]A better question is "which is better....RUNNING or spin classes?" 'Cause jogging isn't nearly as intense when you compare it to a high intensity interval type workout like spin, which can be insanely tough. And if you have proper form spin is indeed a load bearing activity. Most of your weight is supposed to be over the balls of the feet and your butt is usually back over the seat, about an inch off of it. Little to no weight on the handlebars. It's reminiscent of squats. And if you are pushing down AND pulling up on the pedals the bike isn't picking up any appreciable amount of the work. Unless you are overweight or new to exercise I think slow jogs are a waste of valuable time. You gotta get the heart rate up and move it around to various levels in order to train the heart muscle. When I do run I do it on a treadmill... or dirt or grass and I go hard for shorter periods....like 20 to 25 mins. sometimes dribbling a soccer ball.
trevor

Hey Trevor,
What do you consider running and what do you consider jogging. I jog a 10 min. mile. Atleast I think it is jogging, not running.

I just went out this morning and jogged 4 miles, which felt like 4 days since I have been strictly spinning. Let me tell you, I was really hurting. My heart rate was off and it was hard for me to breath! Before spinning, I was jogging 7 or 8 miles with no problem....well, maybe a little heavy breathing :)

I still love spinning more! You just don't have to think. I just close my eyes, listen to the music and pedal my butt off (literally)!!

Lonnie

Hey Lonnie!
I guess any running where your heart rate is up at the upper limits of the work zone I consider to be running......as opposed to jogging where you are moving the feet but not much is going on as far as the heart goes. Know what I mean? :)
Depends on the individual I suppose. For me jogging is an 8 to 9 min. mile whereas I will run 3 miles at a 6 min. 30 sec. pace to get an intense cardio session in.
I don't do alot of running though...just occasionally.
Trevor :)

Wow, six min 30 sec!!! That is great. I could not keep that pace for three miles. That IS running :) Keep up the good work and ALWAYS keep moving :)

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie!
A 6:30 pace for a mile is hauling a** for me but I have a 15 yr old son who really puts it into perspective when he tells me it's a pretty average pace for the runners on his track team. Course, I then counter with the fact that I AM 36!!....and of course, ready to start geezing anytime now!

Hi Trevor, on that note actually, I wonder if you runners have some words of wisdom for me - I'm 29 and take tae kwon do classes where I am often times the oldest person there (I know 29 is not OLD but it is when you're up against kids and teenagers). Anyway, occasionally we have to do sprint races and relay races (these are supposed to be 'fun' hmmmmm) and I am ALWAYS the slowest one. I do a lot of cardio on the side - kickboxing classes, Cathe's tapes and have been doing her weight workouts since February. Problem? I'm still SLOW! What can I do to speed myself up? Is it just my age? Maybe its the fact that I rarely actually run....

If you're talking long term, I would go with spinning because of the injury factor that goes along with running. Running is murder on the knees, which is why you don't see a lot of old runners.

Hi Jillian!
In my opinion if you want to get faster in sprinting then you have to practice sprinting. I'd incorporate sprints into your workouts. Try to eliminate any wasted motion such as arms flailing side to side. Also I was taught to keep your fingers loose. When you clench your fists you are wasting energy. It's hard to describe, but you wanna drive forward with each step when sprinting. I try to take bigger steps to cover more ground also.
I don't run much just so you know. I did run track in school though.

Hi Trevor,

Thanks. Practice sprinting. I was hoping you wouldn't say that ;). After reading your post I realized that I do take smaller steps when sprinting short distances because I worry about not being able to stop and change direction to do the sprint on the way back. I'll give your suggestions a try. I think I will probably always be slow when racing 8 year olds but maybe I can beat the teenage girls...ha ha.

Jill

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.