Which Barbell????? York Lite or Ivanko(firm)

NicoleP

Cathlete
Hello Everyone,
I am about to make a very important purchase!! My first barbell! And I need your help! I cannot decide between the york lite or Ivanko(firm) barbell. So I decided to post it here!! Majority will make my decision for me:D Ha Ha. Thank you all a head of time!!

York!

Hi Nicole---Go with the York Lite. I used to use the Firm padded barbell, but after hearing raves of the York set on this forum, I invested in the barbell and plates. The barbell weighs only 5 pounds, which is great, and the plates are rubber coated, so they are kind to hard wood floors. The spring clips are easy to get on and off, too. I think the barbell is 5" long---it's not a "man" sized one, so it's easy to handle! Have fun. Suzanne

RE: York!

Hello ladies...

I just got a York lite also with the rubber weights...I agree with you Susanne...it is great...I like the size and the rubber weights are nice and easy on the floor as well...and the toes!

I would like to get a snap on pad for shoulder work though so that will be my next purchase.

Working with the MIS tape right now....has anyone used the push-up bars? What do you think. I hear it is easier on the wrists...which is one of the main reasons I don't do push-ups...(well, I lied, I hate push-ups!...)

Kathleen

Push Up Bars

Hi Kathleen,
I've tried push up bars before and they really are easier on the wrist. I had trouble with the set I was using though because I had to really concentrate on keeping the base of the handles on the ground. They were the exact same bars as what Cathe uses in MIS but I had trouble keeping them flat on the floor. Probably a 'stance' problem or something. For the most part, though, I liked them. It was also more comfortable because they gave you just a little bit of elevation but not too much, which felt good.

Hmmm, I'm going out and about to look into barbells today, maybe I'll pick up some handlebars again to give them another whirl. I'll be looking for that York set but I'll probably just end up ordering a 24 pound Body Bar instead. It'll be a good complement to my 18 pounder, I'm beginning to get really tired of wrapping my ankle weights around the ends!

RE: Push Up Bars

Hi Brin

I ordered my set through fitness first...they arrived in just a couple of days. I will have to try the body bars sometimes...I guess I am lazy but get tired of changing weights. I am in the process of moving into a house in town...down from my mountaintop in the Catskills...so am not too certain what kind of setup I will have. It is a two story house and the upper floor is a rental but thought...down the road...when I am financially a little more secure...it would be great turning the first floor into a workout area and living upstairs. It is nice having room to move. I like working out at home and there are no gyms in the area ... and it would be great to inspire some of the ladies at work to give it a try too.

I think I will try the handlebars. I want to at least make an attempt to stick as closely to the MIS tape as possible. I have to be careful with the "old knees" so am just a little conservative on some of the moves right now.

Thanks for the insight.

Kathleen

I made my decision! THANK YOU!!

Thanks so much for your reply's!! I always thought I would buy the firm(ivanko) barbell, but after reading all the posts about the york light. Really got me thinking??? After much thought and input from you I decided the york lite would be a better barbell for me.Hey Cathe even used this one!! So we know its good:D
Thanks again,
NicoleP

So how do you find one?

Hey guys,
I've been trying to find this York Lite bar but it's beginning to sound more like a mythical creature that doesn't exist! When I looked at the York website, it wasn't there. When I emailed the people at York about it, I got this reply:

"I'm not sure where you are writing from, but I'm pretty sure York Barbell USA does not make a Lite Barbell. I have never heard of it. Sorry I can't be of more assistance"

When I checked fitnessfirst.com, there weren't any barbells for sale. None of the stores in my area know what I'm talking about. I'm going nuts trying to find this barbell so if anyone knows how to get a hold of one, please let me know. Thanks!

RE: So how do you find one?

Sorry Brin

The bar I got is call the Troy Lite Workout System...it comes with the rubber weights but you can order just the bar also.

TLB005 Lite Workout Bar Only $17.50

TLS100 Lite set with bar, spring collars and weights $49.95

This is what I ordered Brin...it came to around $60 with shipping. I love the spring clips...very fast to change weights. I think maximum capacity is 80 pounds for loading it though so may have to switch to another bar later on for heavier work. Ordered this thrugh www.fitness1st.com or call the 1/800/421/1791 number. I arrived in a couple days.

Kathleen

Found it!

Woo hoo! I think I'm just going to order the bar and get some plates close to home. No wooden floors here so I don't need rubber coating. So excited!

http://www.fitness1st.com/Bars_and_Weight_Systems.html

By the way, while I was searching for this bar, I found some push up handlebars that looked much more stable and had a good wide base, they're by Weider.

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=233861&position=1

Hope the move is going well Kathleen. Thanks & happy pumping! :)

Uh oh, now what?

Hey everyone! I was just about to order this set from fitness 1st but I realized that it's the Troy Lite set, not the York Lite set! Are we talking about the same bar, is there a difference? I saw a dumbbell set at the Sports Authority that was designed for kids and had the wonderful rubber coated plates (that's what really sold me on getting the whole set) but I could've sworn that set was made by York. The picture of the plates for this Troy bar look exactly like the York rubber plates I saw in the store. I'm so confused :-hmmm !

RE: Uh oh, now what?

Poor Brin!!! I have the Troy Lite Set Brin...I don't know if there is a York Lite Set...like you I haven't seen it....maybe the other girls know. I like what I got anyway...FWIW...

: )...

Must've been a typo!

Thanks for all your help Kathleen. Do you think it was just a typo to begin with? Maybe that's why the guy at York thought I was a nut. I think I'm just going to assume it was a typo and get on with my life. Thanks again!

By the way, I've always loved the movie Ladyhawk too ~ I think it was really under rated! Maybe I'll run down to Best Buy and see if I can pick up a copy. Don't watch movies too much but that'd be one worth keeping around. It's also the kind of thing my DH would like, I wonder if he's ever seen it, hmmmm. I know where I'll be going after work today:)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.