Which are Most Knee Friendly?

exercise-lover

Cathlete
I received my box from the mail man before Christmas, but I had a houseful of company. It was torture having to wait. I'm now ready to start on them and thought I'd ask for advice on which ones are the most knee friendly (or at least easily modifiable to reduce impact and pivots)? Those of you who have been exercising all through the holidays, I hope you can help me on this. Which should I start with and which should I avoid all together? Help!

I've only ordered one, and it's Circuit Blast. Definitely not knee friendly - lots of plyo jumps. From what I've seen of the HIIT workouts, they too involve a lot of jumping. They appear to be somewhat of a "remix" of moves from Cathe's other workouts, i.e. IMAXs, Drill Max, some of her kickboxing workouts. I think maybe the boxing workouts would have the least amount of impact. Step might be ok for your knees, depending on what aggravates them. For me, I can do the jumping but step sends me into immediate knee pain.

I would say the boxing & kickboxing ones are more low impact. I haven’t done Fusion yet, so can’t say on that. I’ve heard Step Moves is pretty low impact, but again, I haven’t done it yet so I don’t really know. I think Athletic Step could be easily modified for your knees. I must warn you that the circuit workouts, & of course, the HiiT ones are pretty high impact, but you probably know that already from reading all the other posts.

I have had bad knees since I was 25 - I'm 49 now. My knees are so bad I can't even jump on a rebounder, too jarring, I can't hike (I can go up hill, it's too painful going down hill) and since 2005 I can't ride a bike. I am thankful I can do what I can do and I still get a good workout.

I modify any high impact moves. The workouts I have tried so far are:

Athletic step
MMA Kickbox
MMA Boxing - did this one today
Hiit - both the 30/30 and 40/20 on Tuesday

These were all fun even with my modification. I can't wait to try the rest.

btw, I get rid of w/o's, like Drill Max, when it was just too hard to modify. My SO wants me to get knee replacements so I can do more activities. I'm not ready for that yet.

This set has been pretty useless to me so far.

I'm like weener. I can't do any kind of jumping or stepping with impact. Pivots and twists mean knee pain too so a lot of the step and MMA has to be modified. I've had to modify more than I'm doing any actual moves. That takes all the fun out of a workout for me. :(

MODIFY! (long)

I'm making what is too-much impact for me work by modifying.

I just did Cardio Core Circuit the other day, and LOVED the workout. Well, MY VERSION of the workout.

I modified, but I didn't feel like a wienie doing it!

Before doing the workout, I knew I'd be modifying some moves (tuck jumps? NEVER!), but I decided to make it a challenge for me: see just how much I could modify to low-moderate impact while keeping it high intensity and keeping the emphasis on the core (in fact, some of my modifications aren't to make it 'easier,' but to add core involvement. And some moves I'd decided on a modification for, I didn't have to modify, so did as-is).

My criteria for modifications:
1) must be high-intensity and not just a watered-down version of the move. My goal was to feel like I had earned the rest between moves

3) must mimic the basic movement patterns of the original move (for example: instead of jacks and plyo jacks as a sub for a rolling core move, I do another type of roll). Lateral moves subbed for lateral moves, etc., so I didn't feel like I was doing a completely different move from the crew.

4) an additional challenge I gave my self: keep the movement in a 6 x 8 foot space (cuz that's how many puzzle mats I'd set up!).

5) bonus modifications: no 'running around the mat' moves (I just didn't wanna! And I also think my knees also don't like sharp turns.); use some equipment and props (especially my new Bosu sport); remove all push-ups (I do those in my weight workouts).

Tip: I found it rather empowering to write down my possible modifications ahead of time (sometimes with 2 options), thus giving myself 'permission' to modify, so that during the workout I felt like I was 'doing the workout' and not 'HAVING to modify'. (maybe no one else needs this little mind game, but it worked for me;)).

So here is how I did the workout (along with some other additional modification suggestions). All moves should be 'clean' with good ROM.

Squat digs: no ''air" on these (though I could have), instead, to keep the intensity (and actually ADD intensity, but YMMV) I did these close to doubletime (like Tabata squats).

Mountain Climbers: I did these with hands on sides of Bosu (platform side) to increase core involvment

Lateral jumps ("apple pickers"): I did these as-is, but thought about modifying by staying grounded and moving a med ball through a large ROM up and down while doing squats; or again doing Tabata squats

Knee-ins (core): I did these seated on the Bosu (round side)

Hop forward 2x, squat-thrust push-up, two jacks turning: I stood back from the Bosu (positioned to grab the platform for the squat-thrusts), jumped forward and back into place (rather than forward only), did a squat thrust (no push-up) with hands on sides of Bosu platform, stood back up and did 4 jacks (no turn) while moving back into place.

Sumo squats: as-is

Lateral slides: as-is (but I made the side leg lift more of an 'unchambered side kick": more power to it)

Triangle choke holds: as-is (but could be subbed with a Kettlebell 1/2 get-up, as the move seems simliar in some ways). Fun move!

Air Jacks: first round, I did these as lateral squats with 1 foot on a Valslide, moving that foot out and in. Second round, I did these as squats, with both feet on a Valslide, feet moving out and in. (Could also do as low squat jacks: go deep instead of high)

Scoot-knee front-knee side-knee front: as-is (but did the 'knee ups' more as 'knee smashes')

Split jumps: as-is (but could modify by doing 4 lunges in place, going onto toes at top, going deep at the bottom, then stepping to switch)

Butterfly sit-ups: did while holding a 4# medball

Lateral jumps with little tuck, then jog around mat: did the jumps--but had a wide carpet rather than a mat out, so just jumped side-to-side from one puzzle mat to the other--subbed a fast low squat (touch the floor) for the tuck, then jogged forward and backward (I like moving backward!): run forward for 8, back for 8 and forward and back again for 8 for the first 2 sets, then do 6 forward and back for the last set (to allow a bit of recovery time before the next move: no recovery between sets)

Grounded switches: I did these with a 90-degree turn instead of 180 degrees---will increase percentage as I improve! (but thought of doing them in place with no turn, and just going to toes)

Squat drop and roll: did the roll, then to a 90-degree angle squat rather than full stand, pause at top, then roll again (good for working the low end of the squat move)

Cross-body push-up: no push up. Hands on Bosu center of platform (I couldn't do the arm lift and use the BOsu at the same time, so I used this hand position to add a bit more core instability to work against) knees cross in.

T-jumps: as-is (but second time around, I started the move going backwards (my body LIKES backward movement!), which I think gives me 1 or 2 more backward jumps than forward;)

Skips around step: did these forward and backward:D, continuous with no break (they take a bit of a break)(I also did this with at least one other move--no break when they took one---but can't read all my notes and don't remember which one it was:confused:)

High kicks: did first time as-is, but didn't like my form, so second time (this is why I like the repetition!) I did as 4 front kicks alternating. Will work on a more satisfactory (for me) substitute. Needs a bit more oomph.

roll-back into 'dive' push-up: did roll back, with step back (as Cathe demonstrated), no push-up. But by this time, things were getting a little messy, LOL!

I really liked this workout: its got fun, motivating music; the crew is motivating; the outfits are great:), but also the modifications kept me thinking a bit (but not too much! like with complex choreography). I felt like I accomplished the goals of the workout (cardio challenge with a core emphasis), the time flew by, and my modifications were intense rather than wimpy (the hard-core jumpers might not think so, but YMMV)! And no knee or hip complaints after the workout, though I felt I'd gotten "well worked'!

Kathryn - I really like some of your modifications and had never thought of some of them. Thanks!
I also frequently just take the jumps out of some of her moves. I actually find that frequently more challenging anyway, as it takes any momentum out of the movement, so you get additional toning from whatever move it may be.

Kathryn - thanks for sharing all of your modifications! That is truly helpful. I have a BOSU and am also looking for ways to include it in my workouts. Your modifications using the BOSU look super! I am going to print out your modifications and add it to my notebook so I can start incorporating them into my workout.

I do think that some of your "modifications" are actually tougher than what Cathe does! And knee friendly to boot! Win win.

thanks again,

sarah

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.