whey protein

jistbrenda

Cathlete
Ok, so i bought some whey protein powder... i mixed a scoopful with water and .... ewwww yuckky!!! It was so gross i almost pu***. any suggestions how to use this stuff? I am trying to get more protein in my body but I want to lose wt. not gain it. plus i bought the protein bars from walmart not sure how good they are nutritionally.. but they taste good :9 I was wondering if it would be bad to mix it with rice milk. Any suggestions would be welcomed:) Also I noticed a tummy ache after drinking this.. is it like fiber, kinda bloating at first??

I'm new to whey protein myself, but my experience so far has been totally different. I use this stuff like sugar. Did you get flavored whey powder? I have vanilla & chocolate & they're delish!

Also I never drink it alone. It either goes into cereal, oatmeal, shakes or some other dessert-type food.

im new to the whole protein thing myself, but here's what i got from other cathe members.
put 1 cup cold water in blender with 1 scoop of choc. whey protein about 5 ice cubes and 1/2 bananna...blend....it's not bad and I haven't had any tummy aches.

The protein that everyone is raving about is ON WHEY and BSN Lean Dessert....I haven't tried the BSN yet, but it's on my list to buy

I drink mine after my weight training workouts.
Good Luck

I have the ON whey and Lean Dessert and they are both delicious. The ON I use it with just water and it taste good. I think it depends what brand you get. Some are just nasty. The Lean Dessert I mix it w/ plain yogurt and have it w/ my cereal and tons of berries. My DH thinks it's gross but I hate milk w/ cereal, gets the cereal all mushy. Plus the nice thing is w/ these 2 powders you can just use a jar to mix it up instead of blender. No lumps! To me it's easier to clean up.

I use 1% milk for a shake. Chocolate.
Since I started new strict diet I make a SMOOTHIE every morning as soon as I get up and usually one before bed..
I use 1/2-3/4 cup milk, couple strawberries and the powder in a blender-- it takes less than one mintue and it tastes like chocolate covered strawberries-- it's that simple!
When on hand I sometimes throw in some raspberries or a banana as well (and I actually put an organic, pasturized egg in there, but many people aren't comfortable with that).
If you're into supplements then that owuld be a good time tpo throw them in as well (otherwise Id never get around to taking them lol).

I get a stomachache with Whey, too - but I'm lactose intolerant. If you are not normally a milk drinker, you might have some issues digesting whey protein.

I have the GNC brand, which I haven't heard anyone raving about :(. The chocolate tastes good mixed into hot cereal, but the vanilla is just *ick*, so you might want to experiment with flavors. I'd love to try that Lean Dessert, but I need to use up the stuff I already have.

I am also lactose intolerant thats why i was wondering if it would be ok to mix with rice milk. I have the chocolate flavor. what is this lean desert? where do you buy it?

I buy BSN lean dessert at Vitacost.com. Better prices than anywhere else and reasonable shipping. I think others have bought from bodybuilding.com.

My absolute favorite combo right now is 1 scoop BSN Dessert Protein, Banana Nut Bread flavor, blended with a frozen banana and 1 cup skim milk (I also blend in a few ice cubes). MMmmm...can't get enough! :9

I like BSN (not quite as fabulous as everyone raves IMHO but decent) and Designer Whey (anything but vanilla). I've been known to mix skim milk, ice cubes, small banana, tsp of nut butter, and a scoop of chocolate in a blender. I also like to mix powder in with my greek yogurt (namely Fage).

PVL Whey Gourmet bothers my stomach. But whenever I have used only half a scoop with some yogurt it hasn't. So you might want to use some in some smoothies and see if that is better. You can gradually add more powder (up to a full scoop) to see if you can tolerate more than half a scoop this way.

I don't plan on buying any more protein powder, but really want to be able to use stuff I already have, since it cost me so much.

HTH,
Sandra

I've been drinking mine with vanilla soy milk or I put it in a little power smoothie that I make with fruit. I could never drink it with just water. I know some people do, but I'm with you on the ewww yuck factor. Smoothie's are my all time favorite healthy meal but I always make sure that if I'm drinking a sizeable smoothie that it acts as a meal replacement.

ok Janie, can you post me some of your smoothy recipes? Would it be ok to replace skim milk with rice milk? due to the lactose intolerance. I get up for work at 2:45 or 3:45 am, so i need something quick and easy before i head out the door. Or can you make smoothies nite before? would they be ok in the fridge overnite? Thanks to all of you for your input on this for me. :^)

Hey Brenda. Holy moly 2:45am and I complain about waking up at 7am?! You know I think the skys the limit with what you want to do. What I do is I put my smoothie stuff (see ingredients below) in the blender the night before without the protien powder. In the morning I take the blender out of the fridge put a whole scoop of protien powder, mix in some frozen fruit and blend for a minute then put it in my stainless steel thermos which keeps it cold for 6 hours. Super quick blend while I get the kids ready for school. I don't really have specific recipes but these are some ingredients I always keep in stock. I just mix and match whatever I'm in the mood for. Three things I always put in my smoothie Whey protien powder, a banana, soy milk.
frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, mangos
fresh bananas
yogurt (lowfat walaby organic vanilla)
peanut butter
MILO/Ovaltine
flax seed, wheat bran
Barleens Women's essential oil, flax oil,coconut oil
tofu
pomegranite juice,blueberry juice, carrot juice, passion fuit juice, soy milk (vanilla), almond milk.
Seems like an extensive list but remember I don't put all that stuff in one drink. Somedays its just blueberries, and yogurt. Other times its some peanut butter, with milo. If you have a Jamba juice or smoothie restaurant I would try a few there grab a copy of their menu and recreate them at home. There is no right or wrong, just remember these are not light in the calorie department and will even suffice as a meal. Hope some of these ideas help.:)

I think BSNs Lean Dessert Protein in WHIPPED VANILLA is the greatest stuff in the world... in my oatmeal. But I'm not nearly as thrilled with their Banana Nut Bread or Fresh Cinnamon Bun (which everyone else seems to love). Once I got addicted to the rich flavor of the WV, everything else was an also-ran. At some point, I'm going to need to try other stuff. I still have their chocolate fudge and a few chocolates and strawberries from other brands but the only time I ever use protein powder is in my morning oatmeal. Have yet to make a single smoothie and I don't want chocolate oatmeal. Ew.

>My absolute favorite combo right now is 1 scoop BSN Dessert
>Protein, Banana Nut Bread flavor, blended with a frozen banana
>and 1 cup skim milk (I also blend in a few ice cubes).
>MMmmm...can't get enough! :9

Okay, I have the Banana Nut Bread and bananas (and strawberries, too) and I'm going to use this recipe first. I think I've been avoiding making smoothies because I don't want to clean anything.

If I work out in the morning, immediately after waking, when do you guys suggest I drink a morning smoothie? Drink a little before (for energy) and the rest after, I presume? If it IS a good idea to drink a little before working out how long after drinking should I wait to hop on the treadmill or start lifting weights? Does the smoothie replace my breakfast? I AM trying to lose weight so calories are an issue. Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.