Where to put Workout Room

Basement.

Your second floor, even though it is new, is probably not made for jumping. Once in a while would be ok. However, I am assuming, since you are on Cathe's forums that you plan to exercise for years to come. :) I just don't think the structure is made to do that. Just my opinion.

Congratulations on your new home. Have fun!

Basement! I actually lived in our basement for a while - we finished off part of it. It the summer it was awesome because it stayed nice and cool. In the winter, it was still naturally insulated, so never got overly cold. I had a large, portable space heater we set up for heating purposes however. The bonus to that is that if you're only using the space for working out, you only heat it when you're in it, versus all the time.
If your basement is getting standing water in it, you've got bigger problems than where to put the workout room, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Puzzle mat flooring is a good, inexpensive option, expecially as a starting point. (it's also water resistant, and easily removed should something actually go wrong)
I'd say the basement is the much better choice of the two.

THANK YOU! The house is just being built so there isn't water, im just wondering if there will be. portable space heater sounds like the perfect solution if its ever too cold.

Another vote for the basement. I like the fact that it stays cool even in the winter. Five minutes into my workout I am just fine. We put down a snap-together, tongue & groove type of wooden flooring. I have had no issues with impact at all. Sometimes, if there are high impact moves, I will just use a mat. (the black mats that are made for underneath TM, bikes, weigh machines) I suggest you get mirrors too. It def helps with correct form and also shows if I'm gaining a couple pounds or so! :p I LOVE my workout room and Cathe sure makes it more FUN to go down into my basement. :D

Hi Debbie
Thank you and im with you 1000%. Mirrors are a HUGE must for me. Gotta see that form. Right now im in our garage and I have 3 huge ones - once we move I hope to get one of those HUGE wall ones, like at gyms. we'll see.
Thanks again :)

Hi Debbie
Thank you and im with you 1000%. Mirrors are a HUGE must for me. Gotta see that form. Right now im in our garage and I have 3 huge ones - once we move I hope to get one of those HUGE wall ones, like at gyms. we'll see.
Thanks again :)

Take your mirrors with you! We found a great deal on Craigslist and bought 6 large gym mirrors. (They broke one carrying it down to our basement!) Man, are those things heavy! Dave & I installed them on the walls ourselves. Thank Heaven for STS! LOL! I love having the big mirrors. It's already made a change in my concentration while doing my workouts, esp strength moves. Mirrors don't lie! Enjoy your new home. How exciting!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.