WHERE DO ALL OF THE SOCKS GO!?!?!?

Alright, I know that I am not the only person this happens to... why is it that every time I do a load of whites, I end up with three socks that have no match? I KNOW I put them into the washer (I counted them once, and made sure they were all in pairs), but some never made it out... Is there a moster in my washer eating them up? Is there a sock theif? I bet that if I pulled the tub out I would find a bout 200 stiff (moldy???) socks, money wasted buying 'em, precious time lost from trying to find 'em.

Does anyone else get frustrated or puzzled by this? Please say it isn't just me :+

Missy

LOL!!! Sometimes I find them inside other things, like t-shirts or pants. I find that if I shake everything out well when I pull it out of the dryer, socks come flying out!

hahaha! I was putting some fitted sheets on my bed a while back and when I was tucking one side in one of DD's tanks fell out of the corner, and that was after I shook it out! lol I have been really cleaning everything out and because we really do have too many things, and I can't believe the stuff I have been finding and WHERE I have been finding it! DS had some of my tampons he was conducting an experiment with under his bed (no, I did not ask! :p). I am so afraid to go into DD's room... she is so incredibly messy and I am sure that she probably has an ant farm in her closet. :+

Missy

The sock gnomes steal them! (But then return them once you've decided to get rid of the matching sock...or make a catnip sock out of it!)

I keep a zip lock baggie in laundry room because at least 1 a wash day goes to laundry limbo..... I truly cannot figure it out.
I actually did a load of JUST socks once... counted 22 before they went in and I swear there were 21 when I opened it up. Just one of those universal mysteries.....

OH-MY-GOSH! Just yesterday I was looking for black socks and found three black socks with no mates. I was wondering the same thing...

Sally

Missy, they come to MY house! Seriously, I cleaned out both of my DS's dressers this weekend and tossed about 1200 stray socks out of each! This is how I know I am the ONLY person in this house who bothers matching up socks when doing laundry!

A comedian (I believe it was Irma Bombeck) said that after about ten years they come back as a sweater.:p Other than connecting each pair with a safety pin or by some other means, I don't know what the answer is. Maybe someone could make $$$$ by inventing some simple little gadget that connects them w/o damaging them. Anybody?

MissL

>Maybe someone could make
>$$$$ by inventing some simple little gadget that connects them
>w/o damaging them. Anybody?
>
>MissL
>

Oh, if I only had the brains!!! ;)

Traci, we must have the same machine lol

Marie, I am on my way to get my warm, soft, fuzzy sock back! :p

Missy

This has always driven me crazy and I solved the problem. I no longer sort and put away the socks. I passed the job to my boys and when they say "Mom, these socks don't match any other socks." I reply, "Well, you need to go look for the matching socks." Buys me some time to myself while they rummage through the house.:7

AAAGH, hilarious! I am going to try this!!! I do have a feeling that if I promise DD a buck in return she will find ALL of the missing sox!

Missy

You can solve the entire problem by only buying one type and color of socks. Then they all match!

well, then DD can't choose. they would all be pink with purple and blue flowers; although, I could definitely imagine DH wearing a pair with his work clothes... I love it!

Missy

I swear they go where all the pieces and parts of my son's toys go. One day we will be cleaning & find a mountain worth. Ugh.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

I have to admit I've thrown a couple of pairs in the trash - unintentionally. The mind just goes sometimes.

OMG, you are soooooooo not the only one!:+

I HATE doing whites for just that reason! I am constantly left with unpaired socks and I can't stand it! Especially my son's cause his socks are so tiny they are even EASIER to loose track of!:eek:

Seriously, folks, if you have unpaired socks and are thinking of throwing them out, make them into catnip socks (just put some catnip in the toe and tie a know in the ankle part---trim the ankle part as necessary) and take them to your local shelter or give them to a cat friend of yours. (If you want to mail them to me, I'll take them to my shelter! LOL!)

Oh socks are the bane of my existance!!!

We have a family of eight and here's what I do. Anytime we find socks lying around (usually without the matching sock in sight), we put it in the "sock box". When I can no longer scrounge socks for working out, I am motivated to dump the sock box on the table and sort and match socks. Really, though, there must be a better method.

Maggie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.