Where can I find low priced equipment?

cmayes71

I know with Cathe I will need a step and a barbell. I have lots of dumbells. Does anyone know where I can purchase these inexpensively? Thanks.

I don't know where you can find low-priced equipment but I don't have a barbell, I substitute dumbells for all the videos and my very handy husband made me a step from a scrap countertop. It isn't adjustable and is very heavy but it won't break!

I just showed him a picture of a step and told him how wide and long I wanted it. He made my FIRM tall and short boxes too.

Hopefully someone can tell you where to get a step because you do need a full size one. You don't NEED a barbell although I imagine it would make the exercises more effective. I don't want any more equipment cluttering up my space so I probably won't get one unless I find a cheap one at a garage sale.

I don't know that they are cheap... but you could get the same step (The Step Company) as Cathe's at www.fitness1st.com for $70 + shipping. I think this is the cheapest price for the step I have found so far. I have also ordered Troy Lite Barbell (the same kind Cathe uses in some of her videos, e.g. Power Hour) from them. The barbell is about 5 ft long and 5 lbs. You could also order weight plates from them which is rubber coated -- really nice on the floor.

A cheaper way to get barbell is from Play It Again Sports. I found that they have 5ft, 15 lb barbell for $20. It's heavier, but then, you don't need as much plates on it. I'm thinking of getting another one for upper body (lower wt) and lower body (higher wt). I hate changing plates! There is also a Bollinger Slip Lock you could get at www.sportschalet.com -- they make changing plates faster.

Just FYI, you could subsitute dumbells for all Cathe workouts (that's what I did for a long time) until you have the money... if money is the issue.

Haslina

Thanks for the replies. My husband does not understand why I purchase workout videos etc. He thinks it is a waste of money, so I try to buy a little at a time. The Cathe DVDs are more than I usually pay for workout DVDs but I'm sure are worth it. When he sees results he will change his mind and might even join me.

My husband always asked me why I needed so many. He used to give me a really hard time about spending money too. You are right about how your husband will see your results. I went from a size 14 to a size six and he doesn't say a word anymore when I tell him I bought/traded more videos, not like he used too.

Money is tight but I told him I need a variety to stay motivated and I will be useing these for the rest of my life. The results were gradual so he didn't notice the drastic changes at first. He was watching old home videos and looking at old pictures with our 3 year old and ever since then he has been much more supportive. He'll never join me though! :) Hope all goes well with you.

I got my step (just like Cathe's) from Academy - $70 and no shipping costs. My barbell set came from there too, about $35.

Susan

I got my Step Co Step from Fitness Resource for $59.99. I don't know about shipping as I bought it from the store itself. They have a website, so you could check out buying one from there if you don't have a store near you!
www.fitnessresource.com

Jeanne :)

Hadlina, does Play It Again Sports have a web site for buying, or is it a store you went to? The reason I ask is that I only have a huge 6-foot (15 or 20 lb.) barbell, and I feel like if I move the wrong way when I use it I might wipe out anything or anyone in that vicinity, or put a hole through the wall! haha I went to Sears but they only have the barbell sets, and I don't need any more plates--I have a ton of them.
Thanks for the other info also. I also really hate changing plates so I will try the Bollinger Slip Lock to make it quicker!
Denise

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-02 AT 05:32PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-02 AT 05:20 PM (Est)[/font]

Denise,

Actually I called them in town, but you could try find one closest in your area -- www.playitagainsports.com. I noticed that www.fitness1st.com does not sell the Troy Lite Bar separately - they used to. That's how I got mine (I think they were about $17). You might want inquire if they would sell just the barbell. Another option is www.paragonsports.com -- they have Ivanko Aerobic barbell (a little shorter than Troy Lite), and it's padded. Some people like it padded, but I think it's a little 'big' for upper body work i.e. bicep curl, etc. Just a matter of personal perference actually. But I did buy a removable barbell pad for my barbell for lower body work.

Let me know what you'll find out.

Haslina

Edit in: I could not find the Sliplock collars at Sports Chalet! Here's another thread for it:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?s=a647d03d36c54a4f7f13878932635b00&threadid=5982

I'm not sure whether this is still good either.

Here's a site that sells 5' barbell:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/bars&handles.html

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to give me all that great info! Time for me to do some searchin'! I'm sure I'll find what I need thanks to your help! Also, I agree with you about the padded barbell--it would be great for lower body work, but doesn't seem like it would feel natural for upper body work. My weight training gloves are a little padded and that works great for me. And as you said, there's always the option of getting the removable barbell pad.

I'll let you know, and thanks again for the direction!

Denise

Hi and good luck on your equipment search. I live in a rural area that has very little to offer as far as shopping venues, so I have to shop around online. I posted the thread for the Bollinger Sliplock Collars on Ebay. The seller is Ed Brink and he ships really fast. I bought three sets and several ladies on the VF Forum have purchased from him too.

I purchased my padded bar through www.orthotechsports.com (see link at bottom). My order came to $24.43 which included shipping. I thought that was a great deal. I have a regular bar that has the threaded ends for the spinlock collars, which I hate. I hope to replace it soon with a regular bar.

http://www.orthotechsports.com/depa...ton=0401&Current_Dept=590&CurrentProduct=4514

Aerika J.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.