When you were little/what did you want to be?

When I was little, I wanted to be tall. I'm still little. But...at least I'm OK with it now. Thanks to Petite Sophisticate.:)

Wow - I'm looking through other's comments about how they were dissuaded from their dreams by their parents. I too have felt that the lack of "support" from my parents kept me from pursuing what I wanted to be. I wanted to become a veternarian and was told how hard it was, that you have to go to school for so long. They never actually told me I couldn't do it, but my own lack of self-confidence took over because I felt they were saying I couldn't do it. Now that I'm older, I know I'm smart enough to have been able to do it - but I definitely didn't have the drive when I was in school and would have given up.

I didn't discover my strengths until I was in my 30's, and really, at this point it's unrealistic to think about going back for that kind of degree. There are a lot of things I wish that I had had the self-confidence to do when I was younger. I would have liked to join the Peace Corps. Now I'm married and a mother, so that's out of the question. Probably if I had mentioned it to my parents, they would have supported it. Or maybe not...thinking back to the way I was back then.

Now I tell my daughter that she can do whatever she wants, but I hope that she stays out of the corporate life. That just sucks you dry. I would like HER to join the Peace Corps, but won't push for it because I don't want to be one of those parents who tries to fulfill their own discarded dreams by pushing them on their children.

I do plan to go back to school in a few years (after our debt is paid off) and get my master's degree. Probably an MBA with a Human Resources concentration. It's not what gets me excited though. I thought about going back and getting a degree in Speech Pathology, but then I checked the salaries of the pathologists who work for the agency I work for and they make less than I do. So what's the point of that?

I will concentrate on my dream for retirement. Buying a farm with my husband, having a couple horses and maybe running a nice dog boarding business.

I always wanted to be a teacher. By the time I got to college, I decided not to become a teacher because the money was so pitiful. I worked for a couple of years in marketing and then decided to go back to school to get a degree in teaching after all. I taught high school German and LOVED it. I felt like a natural -- so at home standing up in front of the kids; it brought out a lot of silliness and creativity. I quit after I had my first child. Now I am happy being a mom, which is something I wanted to be above all.:)

I wanted to be a zoo keeper! Still do, actually! I love love love animals!:)

~Wendy~

We don't stop laughing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop laughing...Put more laughter into your life.

I wanted to be a ballerina ( and I was a dancer for so many years), then a teacher or an attorney. I decided to be an attorney and some day have my own children and sort of "do both!" Here I am halfway there with my career all set and I could not be happier. The children will come some day too, i am sure. For now, BF has two daughters, one that I have a great relationship with, and I think I have done well with her so far!

A veterinarian from ages 5-15.
Then, a pharmacist (family business)
In college, a biologist. Dad says no jobs will be in the area.
Changed the major and am an RN. Wish i would've stayed with the pharmacist major.

My DD who is 11 tells me she wants to be a poet. I tell her she will be an amazing poet. Gave her a personal journal for her poetry at christmas.

Timber-
Good luck to you! It's not so easy being a female attorney and having kids unless you marry someone who is happy to be the primary caretaker or has a job with more limited hours. For some reason (namely, their wives), men have no problem doing both, but women often wind up leaving the profession. It's a really sad commentary on our society I think, but that's what I've noticed. I'd love to see more women do both successfully!
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.