claridge

Cathlete
Do you look at

sugar content
salt content
carbohydrate content
fat content
artificial addities

or does it ALL depend on what your goals are?

in terms of weight loss or muscle building

Everyday there seems to be "MORE" things to avoid in your diet than not!

Marion

:)

I look at all of it. If it has saturated or trans fat, it goes back on the shelf. If sugar is in the top ingredients (or any form of sugar), it goes back. If I can't pronounce and ingredient...you get the picture.

I don't really care so much about salt. I don't add it to my food, so I don't worry so much about occassionally eating something with a lot of sodium. My blood pressure is good.

I mainly look at the fat. And like Donna I stay away from trans fat. Most things I would read the label on already don't have much sugar, but being a new Vegan, I check for hidden animal products in the ingredients also....:)...Carole

I look at everything, usually in this order:
animal products (if there are any, I don't buy)
presence of partially-hydrogenated oils (I don't buy)
fat %
sodium (in canned soups, especially)
protein
carbohydrates and fiber vs. sugars

The foods I buy usually don't have artificial ingredients and preservatives and unpronounceable additives, but when I scan the ingredient list of something I usually don't eat, if the list is too long,or if there are chemicals in it, I usually don't buy.

This might seem to take a long time,but it doesn't, because you only have to do it once (unless the product has been "improved" or I haven't eaten it for a while, and the ingredients may have changed to include animal products). Also, I don't buy a lot of processed foods, so I'm not reading a lot of labels.

Yes, it does depend on what your nutritional goals are. My nutritional priorities are no sugar of any form, high fiber, lower fat, NO trans fats, and preferably a higher potassium to sodium ratio. The first thing I do when I look at a product is read the ingredients. If sugar or any of its pseudonyms, or trans fat ingredients are anywhere in the list I put it back on the shelf and don't even bother looking the nutritional label. If sugar and trans fats are not in the list, then I look, in this order, at the nutritional label:

1. fiber (if it is a product where fiber is even a potential ingredient).

2. calories per serving (is it a reasonable serving size for the amount of calories?)

3. sodium/potassium ratio. People generally need 3 times as much potassium as sodium, and the two ingredients in balance with each other are important for maintaining healthy blood pressure. Since I don't have blood pressure problems, I don't worry too much about this ratio, but when I see a ratio on a label whereby the potassium outweighs the sodium content, it adds to my conclusion that the food is healthy.

Sandra

I pretty much just shop at Whole Foods and that sort of place. I buy almost no processed food at all, and when I do, it's from a health food supplier, so I don't end up reading a lot of labels.

Mostly I look at the fat and sodium. I hate when the ingredient list is so long with items that you wonder what they are. I guess because I do look is why no one wants to shop with me. It takes too long. I have done this for so many years. The less additives to make the item more presentatable the better. That is another thing for me. If I want to keep track, if say, make my own salad dressing or recipes, it is really hard to track what I am eating so I have just given up on that since I do adjust most recipes or do my own thing. I would love to be able to this wih ease.
Diane Sue

I look at the whole thing -- first, the ingredient list because I don't buy things that contain hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup. Then, in descending order I look at the fat grams, fiber, sodium, and protein (depending on what kind of food it is). Also, I make sure that if it's a grain product that it's truly a whole grain. If the word "enriched" is anywhere on the package, I probably won't buy it. I live in Europe now and when I go back to the states I doubt I'll ever be able to eat the bread there again -- the difference in the grains is unbelieveable.

Also, here's the cheapskate in me coming out, but if I'm buying a frozen meal I usually try to get the most calories I can for my $$$, with the most protein and least fat. If I'm gonna spend $$$ on a frozen meal to eat for lunch, I want it to fill me up (and a 210 calorie frozen entree certainly won't do that).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.