When Can I Resume Exercise After a C-Section?

mbschneider

Cathlete
Hello, I delivered my first baby @ 3 weeks ago via an emergency c-section. Prior to pregnancy and throughout my entire pregnancy I have been an avid exerciser (typically 6 days per week, combining cardio + weights). I am wondering when I will feel well enough to resume an exercise program. Any thoughts? Secondly, my belly is still very bloated. I am able to put on my pre-pregnancy pants but I can't button any of them! Are bellies larger after a c-section? Do you think all of my swelling has gone down now that I am 3 weeks post partum (in other words,am I looking at my new belly that now will only go down again with lots of crunches)? I would appreciate hearing the stories of anyone who has delivered via c-section. Thanks so much! MB

Hi MB -
I have had two c-sections, the first in Aug'04, the second 3 weeks ago. After the first, I started to just walk with my daughter in the stroller around the 3rd week postpartum. But I took it slow at first walking maybe 20-30 mins then adding to that every time I walked until I was walking for 60 mins. Two days before the 6-wk mark I resumed regular workouts, doing beginner/intermediate level and increasing my fitness level from there. I did about two weeks of low impact, lighter workouts before I started increasing my fitness level to more advanced, longer workouts. Of course, that was me and it may differ with you. Just listen to your body (you've heard that before, I'm sure!). Your belly will shrink, just be patient. It took about 12 weeks for me to get my abs back into the shape they were before I got pregnant but then they got even stronger as I continued to exercise. Also, I reached my goal weight the day after my daughter turned 9 months old.

I hope that I will bounce back like I did before, but I am going to give myself extra time to do it. Like you, I'm an avid exerciser as well as a group fitness instructor so getting these workouts in will be priority but with two at home now, it may be more challenging to fit a full 60 min session in 5-6 days a week. Although this c-section seemed to be a little harder to heal from I still plan on doing the same thing I did with #1. With patience (and extra attention to my diet than I gave it before!) I expect the same results.

Congratulations on your new baby! Enjoy every moment as they grow so quickly.

Diana
Nora Evelyn 08/23/04
Lucas Christopher 05/21/07

I had a c-section on Dec. 6, so it's been about 6.5 months now. I started walking around the neighborhood with the baby in the stroller at 4 weeks, and started video workouts again at 6 weeks, per doctor's orders.

My tummy shrunk a LOT on its own. At first, the weight came off slowly, but then I started losing about a half a pound a week. I still have about 4 lbs. to go, but I've heard it's tough to lose those when breastfeeding, which I still am.

I still can't wear a lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes, though I can wear the same size in different styles. My belly is just squishy still. I'm not sure what will happen, but I have faith that if I keep working on it, it will go back down.

Everyone keeps telling me to give myself more time, so I'll tell you the same! It took 9 months to get here, give yourself at least that long to get back.

Hi,

I would just do easy walking. At about three weeks, I felt great (and I wanted to do some light weights and some very light ab work). But my doctor put the realization in my head about how major of a surgery c-sections are. She said "your scar might only be 4 or 5 inches long but under the skin you were pretty much cut hip bone to hip bone and you need to heal." YUCK!!

Anyways, eventually my tummy did go back to normal - after first child completely, my second child left me with a little loose skin but my muscles underneath are fine.

I waited about 4 weeks after both of mine, being careful to listen to my body.
Good luck!

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.