What's your motivation/matra?

These are some of my favs...

"You can do this!!!!!"
"It's more mental that physical"
To quote Cathe "you can do anything for one more minute, two more reps, three more lunges, etc"
"Keep going"
"Push through it"

"Don't quit!!" and FINISH STRONG!!!!!!

Wooohoooo! Now I'm all psyched up!!:eek::eek:

Pam

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Gotta tell you.....while swimming my laps today (I'm a runner who's learning to become a swimmer, lol....training for a few tris) I had this phrase in my head with a little twist: "swallow water 4 laps, swim 18". :D

Persistence, Perseverance, Patience. You're a winner.

As well as my signature, I KNOW I can. I KNOW I can.

I like these quotes......

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right." Author unknown

"Health is a value that money can't buy; therefore value it and be thankful for it." Izaak Walton

"You're not that girl anymore." I'm still overweight, but I think of all those years of crying during gym class, having kids call me fat, and never being able to wear what I wanted to. I also say this to myself when I want to eat something really horrible.

"Nothing taste as good as feeling fit (and thin) feels"
- A friend said this to me once and it has stuck with me over the years.

"QUIT BEING A WIMP. YOU CAN DO THIS."
- I yell this at myself in my head during 99% of my workouts. :)

:) This may sound cocky, but I tell myself, "if an ordinary person can do it, then I can, because I'm extraordinary." But it applies to non-fitness stuff as well...

I like the following quote. Not necessarily for exercise motivation but for life in general:

"Don't be afraid your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin." Grace Hansen in a book called "Dare to Believe"

I love it! Perfect for the risk-averse worrywort like me. Thanks for posting this.

Oh, Clare, I still love Susan Harris!

What works best for me is imagery. Pictures. Videos. Madonna. Mick Jagger. Sting. Anyone with long, sinewy muscles and great abs who is close to my age. Even infomercials for silly exercise products do it for me because everybody looks so fit. (Not that I believe for a moment that the silly exercise product got them there!)

Last edited:
Hottiescientist - I just read your Turbofire review and now I want Turbofire! I've been on the fence about it, plus I swore I wasn't going to buy any more DVD's this year, but your review put me over the edge. Like you, I couldn't stand CLX, but I do love Turbo Jam, so I'm sure I'd love Turbo Fire, especially if the music rocks. Thanks (I think) for enabling me....:confused:

Nancy - I'm a worrywort too! Glad you like that quote!! I have it as a sticky note on my laptop screen.:)

Love the Teddy Roosevelt quote!

"Just Do It" is something I say to myself regarding exercise and other things that I need motivation for. Also, I recently read "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield, and based on this book I'll tell myself "The Resistance doesn't win today." (Probably makes more sense if you've read the book!)

Finally, if I'm sweating and hurting during a workout and hating it, I'll tell myself "Do it for your sister, because she can't" -- this one really gets me back on track. I have a sister who was in a bad car accident 8 years ago. She broke both her legs (and one arm) in multiple places, and they have healed so she can walk short distances, but it is painful and slow going. She is on permanent disability, cannot work, and basic things like a grocery shop are painful for her. Needless to say, if I start to feel sorry for myself for all the low-end squats, sweating, etc., this mantra gets my mind back on track!

Wow this thread really took off! Awesome guys!

There are so many good ideas here that I can't quote them all. I just wanted to share with you my mantra for today. I was doing IMAX3, which has always been super super tough on me mentally and I still have trouble finishing. Right when I was hitting the 4th combo (the hardest one for me and my knees right now) my roommate came home. She has PCOS and DOESN'T exercise. I'm not sure how big she is, but I've borrowed some of her clothes for Halloween costumes and they've fallen off. She's tried to be active with me but she can't keep up and gets frustrated. I've had discussions with her about not reading magazines on the treadmill--one of her favorite things while her clients are getting PT--and really pushing herself sometimes but she says it isn't fun.

So today my thought was "Give her an example. Show her how good you can be." When that wore out I went to "WORK WORK!!"

Three I have on my wall:

No, not done, didn't hear that! Kick Punch & Crunch

I need your energy, I need your focus, I need your commitment, & I need it now! Imax 2

Get your game face on! Kick Punch & Crunch

New favorite:
Your focus needs more focus Karate Kid
:)

I second the Yoda one, but if I'm running up a steep section of trail it's "when you get the notion, put your back wheels in motion" - do you recognize this song? a club gem from the late 80's or early 90's.

I have a bunch (I need lots of inspiration some days!!) but here are the ones I used today:

"I don't have to be perfect, I just have to make progress"
"If not now, then when?"
"The hour is going to pass one way or another. Why not make it count?"

And one from my favorite IRL instructor - in the middle of the toughest sections, she'll shout out "THIS is why you came to me today - this is what you're here for. THIS is one that counts!" I hear her voice in my head while I'm charging up hills on the arc trainer or gasping through the last reps...these are the ones that count.

I have a couple that I use:

Yes you can!
It's mind over matter!
You are stronger than you think!

Those last two almost sound contradicting but they all seem to work when I just don't think I can do one more low-end.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.