What's your fitness "secret"?

melanalyus

Cathlete
I love reading how fitness folks step "outside" the box and find crafty ways to increase their physical fitness... either with unique changes in diet, or fitness.

I like to do step aerobics using 2lb hand weights (the ones designed for kickboxing). I quickly noticed a tightening/firmness in my arms.

What are your crafty secrets?

I use my 4lb kettlebell that came with the Kettlenetics kit with alot of my ab workouts. It adds just enough extra resistance without bothering my back. I really feel it whenever there are twists or long lever moves.

I love trying new classes. Right now I'm loving BTS Group step, and Capoeira. Nothing makes my butt tight and lifted like capoeira.

Food: Going raw (80% or more raw foods) last March was the only thing that's helped me lose the 10 pounds I put on in the first two years of living where I do now. (I moved here in fall 1990, and since 1992, I'd gone up and back down to that 'new' weight, but could never get rid of it).

Fitness: I love to add fitness 'toys' to the mix when I do workouts to make them feel fresh and new again, or just to change them up (sometimes making them more challenging, functional or core-focused): weighted gloves, Bosu, balance discs or cushions (I used one the other day to sit on doing bicep curls), med balls, kettlebells (for lat rows, those sumo squat/dumbell-pick-up move in 4DS and other moves)...pretty much anything goes!

no secrets really. i try to add fun things like bellydance or regular hip hop video workouts. i try to drink more tea,take my vitamin and fish oil capsules. i go to the y but i don't swim much anymore. think i am allergic to their chemicals i break out really bad,but i did enjoy swimming and doing exercises in the pool when i did go.

my typical routines always includes cardio with running(usually HIIT and sprints),kickboxing, barre,kettlebells and yoga.

kassia

Kassia- what hip hop workouts are you doing?

mostly anything jen galadri. i have both her 10 minute solutions(so 10 min here and there is fun) her crunch workout which is more of a mix of flavors. i just picked up 10 minute solution hip hop dance mix and that is really fun. i also have julie arney quick fix hip hop workout. i have tried her others from netflix(when i had it) and they are lots of fun. i also have yoga booty ballet workouts and hip hop abs is one of my favorites from them followed by go-go. and its great exercise but you don't feel it b/c you are focused on the fun!

i also taped a few fittv show, all star workouts. i haven't tried them yet but there was madonna grimes, jen galadri, and michelle lemay.

i have carmen electras set(don't ask, dh thought i would like it) but i only like her hip hop workout and the vega strip workout b/c it has the hip hop feel to it.

another fav is latin dance, i don't have many of them b/c its hard for me to follow along and i am trying to get the ones i have down before purchasing more.

they also gives me some moves i can do on my own when i just wanting to be silly and dance along while cleaning house(usually when i play music when nobody is home LOL).

kassia

clotheminded i thought of something else while at work today. petra kolber, fun fun workouts dance styled but defiantly cardio. she has plenty of inexpensive titles although her newer ones are still up there but her earlier releases are pretty inexpensive(some under $15). i just got her 10 minute solution one in a trade and it was a blast too do. not really hip hop but a really fun dance style cardio workout. i have her doable dance grooves and 321 dance. i used to have step workouts on VHS but no more vcr so i miss them but they had a dance flair to them as well.

kassia

I just remembered something else! I like to chew gum when I workout. Anyone else do this? I don't feel as worn out when I chew.......for runs, step, kickboxing.....anything. ;)

I just remembered something else! I like to chew gum when I workout. Anyone else do this? I don't feel as worn out when I chew.......for runs, step, kickboxing.....anything. ;)

Funny you mentioned chewing gum Melanie. Chewing gum helps me concentrate when I'm learning a new step routine!

Circuit workouts using light weights do wonders for me. Also, FUN workouts that make me wanna move are crucial for maintaining my exercise consistency. :)

I go through phases, right now I like Stride gum (it's sugarless too). I keep remembering my gym teacher telling us to NEVER CHEW GUM & EXERCISE. lol

I don't think mine are secrets in the sense you mean, but my strength gains are much improved now that I make myself take rest days and active rest weeks, and eat something healthy after lifting...

The gum idea sounds interesting. Why does it help? Aveggiegirl, you said it improved your concentration?

Last edited:
That's so funny. I always chew gum too! I feel like it's an outlet for some of the discomfort, especially when really pushing myself on weight work.

It's really the only time I do chew gum. I keep a pack in my home gym, pop it in when I start the workout and spit it out when I'm done.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.