What's too much exercise at 50?

scoopless

Hi gang,

I'm 51, almost 52, and I'm really trying to stay in good shape. In fact, I'm trying to be in the best shape of my life.
Here's my question. I'm doing the following type of workout each week, (just an example workout)

LIS
Drillmax
LIC (cardio only)
KPC
Legs & Glutes
Musclemax - upper body
off

Some days I'm very tired. I on the verge of not feeling good. Am I just out of shape? Any one else out there in my situation?

Good God woman! That's awesome!

I don't think I'd take more days off but I would definetely throw in atleast one yoga or stretch only day.

Anyone else?

Kathy,

I'm 50, heading towards 51, and I do pretty much a similar schedule, but I add a 3 mile run to it every day. I'm doing okay with it. I'm not too tired most days, but if I find myself feeling too sore, I skip my run one day a week.

I really don't think age has that much to do with it, just what you're used to and what your body can tolerate!

I recently turned 50 myself.

How much is 'too much' at any age is very individual, but it's true that as we age, recovery and rest become more important.

Your schedule does look tough. Maybe it works for you, but feeling "very tired" and "on the verge of not feeling good" sounds like possible overtraining. Even professional athletes like Martina Navritalova (sp) say they need more recovery as they get older. It's just a fact of life.

I'd like to think that as we age, we not only gain knowedge, but have the wisdom to use that knowledge, and that applies to fitness in that we learn to workout smarter, not necessarily as intensely. That may be changing the sequencing of our workouts (to make sure that we give each body part more rest than when we were in our 30's for example), varying the intensity of our workouts more, including balance and flexibility training by doing some functional fitness type workouts and stretches/yoga, modifying and not trying to keep up with what we 'think' we should be able to do or what other people can do(doing our best, but not pushing ourselves to do what we maybe could have done at 18 with no problem), or even backing off a bit as we get signs that we may be overdoing.

I also think it's important to have specific recovery time, or to 'periodize' your workouts, so even those who can workout 'full tilt' most of the time would benefit from a recovery week (doing lower intensity workouts, more stretches and restorative yoga, some functional stuff).

If the sample schedule you posted is how you work out most of the time, I'd say you'd benefit from a recovery week. Maybe 2 moderate-intensity cardio workouts, 2 functional fitness/core workouts, 2 days of yoga/stretch, and one day completely off.

Im 61 going on 62 in august
for the longest time i was doing the gym 3 times a week for classes and did 1 and half hours and on my home days would do cathe on line for hour a day
now for about 6 months ive gotten out of the habit and find that im exhausted when i come home from work and im lucky to do 20 mins a day
would like to increase but think much of it is habit and commitment
I still have the ability to do more
But i do less of jumping jacks and sumo (well i never really did those) they are rough as you get older and have less bladder control LOL

Kathy,
Just wanted to say "hi"! As someone who just turned 51, it's great to see more people my age on the boards! I think the advice you've received is excellent.

I'll add that I'm very tired these days myself, but my doc says I'm in excellent health, and I'm sure it's just because my career has become more stressful. I know that during this stressful time I can't do as much as I used to. But I also have every intention of doing more once things settle down, so I really don't relate the slow-down to my age.

I suppose I can add that I haven't felt comfortable doing anything high-impact since my twenties. I have a vey low risk tolerance, and I've always played it very safe. Again, I think this has more to do with my personality than my age. I tried cycling with my DH for awhile, and my knees still haven't fully recovered, so I suspect I have naturally weak knees, and I tend to avoid anything that might injure them further.

Sorry for the novel. I really just wanted to say "hi"! :p :7

Hi Kathy! I am also 50 and am in the best shape I've ever been in, but it is not something that happens overnight. Listen to your body, that is probably the hardest lesson I've learned (and am still learning). Add in an extra rest day, and don't forget a rest week every 8-12 weeks or so.

Hi there! Another recent 50 yr old adding to the mix here! It's a wonderful age to be and like a fine wine, we ladies who are into the fit way of life just improve with age. What is too much exercise doesn't have that much to do with age really. I'm a runner and just completed my first marathon. There are several other runners and excellent athletes on this board who are also around my age.
Anyway, the only thing I really have to add here is that I hope you have gotten or are going to get a physical with a good internal medicine or family practice doc. Get a thorough chemistry panel (blood work) including a thyroid function screening.

All the other advice given is wonderfully sound and intelligent, rest days are just as important as the workouts.

Take care!

ShellyC

And just to add it another very important variable, make sure you are fueling yourself for your routine. I find if I haven't been eating enough protein or carbs for some of my harder workout days they I feel sluggish.

And then there is the amount of sleep you are getting also. This has affected me lately as I go through the hot flashes that wake me at night, or have to let my aging dog out since he can't hold it all night anymore. That makes for a more difficlut workout for mee also.

Cheers to another who is keeping in good shape as we age . . .

(I just hit the big 49 a couple of months ago so will be joining the 50+ next year). :7

I will be 62 in November and once I reached mid fifties I had to change my routine and intensity due to injuries (sciatica and knee issues) from lots of high impact (plyos, scissors, twisting knee movements) - I can do any of Cathe's if I modify - I don't feel like I have to follow exactly anymore (which I am guilty of in the past, causing problems for me). I use a 4" step (instead of my 8" which I used for years) and still modify. As far as lifting weights, I always preferred light weights with lots of reps - that is how I feel the burn. If I lift too much for my small frame, I don't feel the burn, instead I feel pain in my shoulders, back, neck. I also do more of Leslie Sansone and love to do four limb workouts even with Leslie. With all those changes, I still look the same, maybe even smaller. I am quite tiny, 5' 1 1/2" and about 93 pounds.
maryann

Hi all,

Wow, I am so pleased to get such good information from my fellow "young ladies". I took a second day off last week and felt soooooooo much better. I really needed the rest. Mentally, I have a hard time resting for one day, let alone two days a week but I realize that I need to listen to my body. My DH says my motto is, "anything worth doing is worth overdoing".

I saw Jack LaLane being interviewed not long ago. Not sure how old he's getting to be (he's been in that spandex suit since I was a little kid watching him on black & white TV, and I'm 47!) He's in pretty darn good shape! Guess we can't let aging stop us from our Cathe workouts. x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.