What's going on?

Zozo

Cathlete
I have recently started the sts/shock cardio rotation. I decided to change my diet, because I want the best results possilble, and from a previous thread of mine, I was given advice to add a greater variety of vegetables into my diet. Before this rotation, I'd workout 75-90 minutes a day, 7 days a week. And I would not be hungry, or not excessivly so. I was not tired, and I had plenty of energy. But I know I didn't eat as healthily:
This is what my diet WAS Like:
Breakfast: bran flakes with milk
Lunch: Toast with humous
Dinner: Salad and egg mayonnaise
Evening: Hot Chocolate and a biscuit

I have modified my diet to try and get more nutrients, but now I could eat my weights, never mind lift them! I am so hungry it is unbelievable!
This is what I have been doing:
Breakfast: bran flakes with milk
Lunch: Ryvita (crispbreads) with humous and an apple
Dinner: Salad: peppers, spinach, rocket, watercress, tomatoes, walnuts, tuna and egg (balsamic vinegar as dressing to replace the mayonnaise)
Evening: Hot milk, banana

I drink tonnes of milky tea, but no sugar.

I drink tonnes of semi skimmed milk: about 2 litres a day (i know, a lot!) but I can't eat much fat because of a stomach problem. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. I am sure that my diet is more healthy, but I am sooo much more hungry. I can't eat loads at one sitting, again because ofmy stomach, and I can't change my diet too much for the same reason. Would it be better to go back to my original diet? I am seeing results from STS already though, but I can think of nothing but eating. I have never had that before. I usually eat at meal times, and only at meal times, because that's all I've needed. Now, sitting at the computer, I am so hungry I think I might devour it.

Any advice?

Great question, STS makes me ravenous and I don't know why. I haven't gained any weight though, and the muscle definition is noticeable.

Great question, STS makes me ravenous and I don't know why. I haven't gained any weight though, and the muscle definition is noticeable.

Did you modify your diet on account of the hunger? Did you eat more?

And I'm relieved it's not just me!
:)

It looks to me like you are simply not consuming enough during the day. Try eating 5-6 small meals and focus on protein and fiber because they take longer to digest and will keep you feeling fuller longer. Keep what you've been eating and add a midmorning snack of maybe a piece of high fiber or high protein bread with 1T. natural peanut butter and for afternoon, try 1c. of cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg. Your body needs constant fuel to keep your metabolism up. Besides you'll be amazed at how you'll actually lose more weight since your body won't be in starvation mode trying to hold onto every last bit of fat. You'll also have much more energy and won't feel hungry.

My day consists of:

Morning-protein shake after workout
Midmorning - 2pc. high protein bread w/ 1T. natural peanut butter
Lunch - 2c. romaine lettuce with goat cheese, 1T. lite ranch dressing and few sunflower seeds, hard boiled egg
Mid afternoon - Protein bar and banana
Dinner - 1pc. salmon with baked sweet potato
Evening snack - yogurt

I too just started STS/Shock cardio rotation and am working on losing baby weight. When I delivered on October 12 I was up 36 pounds and now I have 8 left to get me to prepregnancy weight. Good luck.

Sounds like your metabolism has kicked up! That's a good thing!

Remember, muscle burns more calories than fat, and you're building a ton of muscle right now. Add a few hundred calories a day and continue with the healthy approach that you've been taking.
I bet you see your body respond nicely!

Thank you so much for your advice!
I LOVE the idea of having yoghurt as an evening snack! I don't eat yoghurt really, but not because it hurts my stomach or because I don't like it, just because I never think of it! I know anything creamy makes me full, so I will DEFINITELY try that :)

As for the morning, I can easliy add some sort of small snack. I will try that. Peanut butter is out, as that makes me ill, but I'm sure I can find something else high protein to have :)

I've been told that I need more carbohydrate, but I'm not really big on carbs, so I much prefer your reccomendations.

Here's to stopping the rumbling ;)

Thank you so much for your advice!
I LOVE the idea of having yoghurt as an evening snack! I don't eat yoghurt really, but not because it hurts my stomach or because I don't like it, just because I never think of it! I know anything creamy makes me full, so I will DEFINITELY try that :)

As for the morning, I can easliy add some sort of small snack. I will try that. Peanut butter is out, as that makes me ill, but I'm sure I can find something else high protein to have :)

I've been told that I need more carbohydrate, but I'm not really big on carbs, so I much prefer your reccomendations.

Here's to stopping the rumbling ;)

Who told you that you need more carbs? From your description above, your whole diet is carbs, except the milk, and even that has carbs. Why are you drinking so much milk? That's a lot of calories from a liquid source, which isn't as satisfying to the stomach as calories from solid food - the stomach doesn't recognize it as food so you stay hungry.

I agree with the small meals - lean protein, healthy fats and complex carbs at each of your small 5-6 meals should keep you satisfied. I also add in raw, plain veggies at pretty much all meals to keep me full, add nutrients and allow me lots of fiber.

People who see me eating tell me that I need to have some 'carbs' to make me feel full.. which didn't make sense to me, as surely simple carbs only make you feel full for a short amount of time. So I'm glad, before I upped the carbs, someone's advised me otherwise! :)

I LOVE milk, but because it is the MOST filling drink. I drink it in tea, coffe, on it's own, on my banana :S On its own, I think it might be a good plan to try and replace a couple of glasses of milk with something SOLID... I will give that a go. And I will also up my protein.

Thank you for the help!
And I will try raw veggies, I DETEST raw carrots, but I can try other vegetables :)

:)

I eat more when doing STS. I add more protein to my diet. I eat 2,000 calories a day easily when doing the STS rotation, and 90 per cent of it is good quality food.

More quality fat (go whole milk, coconut oil, real butter, try some nut butters) and protein! Seriously.

Wendy, I totally love your diet plan. I'm a super picky eater, and it always seems like the healthy options are gross to me. I may try yours :)

It might be the apple and banana. I know that seems odd. But, fruit makes me hungry. I did notice that you can't tolerate fat, thats too bad. I also think the milk may be the problem. Can you have a quality whey powder shake instead? It would be lower in carbs./sugars.

It might be the apple and banana. I know that seems odd. But, fruit makes me hungry. I did notice that you can't tolerate fat, thats too bad. I also think the milk may be the problem. Can you have a quality whey powder shake instead? It would be lower in carbs./sugars.

That is so helpful, thankyou! :) I had thought I was going crazy today, filling up on apples, and feeling HUNGRIER! It's seriously driving me bonkers at the moment, I am fantasising about food. I dreamt tons last night, and the whole time I was in a supermarket!

Anyway, I think you are reight about the milk. As much as it pains me to say (I really can't live without the stuff) I've decided ONLY to have milk in tea for a while, and cut out the milk on my banana, or the milk on my apple (i know :() And the milk seperately.
Have you any advice on where to find a whey powder shake? I don't really want to have to order on line.. is there a particular brand you think I could try, I'm not sure what to look for.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.