What's for dinner?

nancy156

Cathlete
Along the lines of the grocery shopping thread, what's everyone making for dinner? I have a hard time with the "what's" for dinner. I don't mind doing it (because I like to eat) it's the "what" that drives me insane. Sometimes I feel like I do circles in a grocery store, probably because I do.

So I'll go first. I'm trying to be more "vegetarian-like" lately, so in our house tonight's dinner is roasted red peppers with roasted onions and roasted eggplant. (I know how some of you feel about eggplant, but roasted they're great, IMO) I brushed them with some olive oil that I had just sauteed garlic in and threw them under the broiler. It added up to be two cookie sheets worth of vegetables. While waiting for the veggies to roast, I added breadcrumb to the oil and garlic I had just sauteed and toasted them on the stove (which is delicious - it gives a nice crunch to the vegetables and so much added flavor) and then added this to the cooked vegetables. I then throw the vegetable mix (with the breadcrumb added) on top of brown rice and serve it with a huge salad. Everyone loves it. Some add grated romano cheese.

Help me out here....I'm so tired of the "what". Tomorrow's menu (I think) will sing to the tune of tofu with mixed vegetables with leftover brown rice and a huge salad.

Thanks!!!! Nancy

I made Sooooooooooooosan's Pasta Fagiole from the Cathe cookbook, which has become one of my all-time favourite recipes:) It's absolutely delicious, nutritious and really quick and easy to make.

Thanks Sooooooooooooosan!!!!:)

My mouth is watering reading your post! I'm making (as I type) shrimp fra diavolo, salad, and garlic bread (w/too much butter!). Can't wait to eat it!

Me? Cook? Yeah right.

Either hubby is cooking or we are going out. LOL. Yes, eating out is my vice. But it is just so much easier (said in a nasaly whine);-)

>Along the lines of the grocery shopping thread, what's
>everyone making for dinner? I have a hard time with the
>"what's" for dinner. I don't mind doing it (because I like to
>eat) it's the "what" that drives me insane. Sometimes I feel
>like I do circles in a grocery store, probably because I do.
>
>So I'll go first. I'm trying to be more "vegetarian-like"
>lately, so in our house tonight's dinner is roasted red
>peppers with roasted onions and roasted eggplant. (I know how
>some of you feel about eggplant, but roasted they're great,
>IMO) I brushed them with some olive oil that I had just
>sauteed garlic in and threw them under the broiler. It added
>up to be two cookie sheets worth of vegetables. While waiting
>for the veggies to roast, I added breadcrumb to the oil and
>garlic I had just sauteed and toasted them on the stove (which
>is delicious - it gives a nice crunch to the vegetables and so
>much added flavor) and then added this to the cooked
>vegetables. I then throw the vegetable mix (with the
>breadcrumb added) on top of brown rice and serve it with a
>huge salad. Everyone loves it. Some add grated romano
>cheese.
>
>Help me out here....I'm so tired of the "what". Tomorrow's
>menu (I think) will sing to the tune of tofu with mixed
>vegetables with leftover brown rice and a huge salad.
>
>Thanks!!!! Nancy

How do you get your husband to eat vegetables?? That is the prob in our house. I love pretty much everything and he hates pretty much everthing.
x(

Leftover Teriyaki Chicken (with mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, broccoli and water chestnuts) that I made last night. YUM!!! That is one of the perks of being single...leftovers after a big cooking day :7 .

Wendi

Hmmm....Sounds like everything I like but....I like everything!

My husband eats what I put on the table because he'd starve otherwise. He doesn't cook at all but that may change soon (although I doubt it) because I can see he's becoming just slightly upset with the lack of meat lately. We'll see what happens with that. It should become interesting.}( I sometimes see him sitting in front of the food network channel but he never picks up any tips, unfortunately.

I love pasta fagiola too, Shelly. I make it with some escarole in it. It's great!!! I also make it quite often and make a huge pot so I don't have to cook another night. I leave the pasta out of the soup so that it doesn't get mushy the second time around and then you can put in as much or as little as you like as you're eating. I love lots of grated cheese on this too.

Ok i AM REALLY BORING.
I am making a frozen Digiornio whole wheat thin crust pizza. I put the pepperoni on DH side and put mush onions and hot peppers on my side. I cook every day and I don't feel like it .
It is 8pm and i just got done working out and i am really hungry.
Maybe a salad too.
Egg plant sounds scrumptous.
I made spaghetti squash the other night and it was really good.
I am hungry for blackned tuna with grilled veggies......
Sounds like tomorrow night.... To the store after work.
MAybe tomorrow, mmmmm.

A Vegan meal here....Vegan Planet pg 318 Black Bean Chili with Cilantro Pesto....the pesto is to die for...:)...and a very large salad with romaine, spinach, red onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and anything else I can find. Olive Oil and vinegar dressing.....:)

carole tht recipe sound delicious! I must have missed it.

Last night was eggplant tomato sauce slow cooked over whole wheat pasta and a large green salad. and fresh strawberries later.

Tonight my family is having BBQ slow cooked chicken thighs, sweet potatos and romaine salad. I will sbustitute BBQ seitan for the chicken.

Wednesday is rosemary roasted potatoes topped with fish fillets and baked, and asparagus and salad

Thursday is large "Taco salads" built with chicken for the family and pinto beans for me, salsa, avocado, tomatoes, green onions, vegan sour cream, cheddar cheese a(soy for me, light cheddar for the family)

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Last night we had leftovers of a fantastic pasta recipe from cooking light. It has penne pasta, roasted red peppers, fresh asparagus & mushrooms, diced tomatoes, cayenne pepper, marjoram, oregano, blah blah blah (a whole bunch of great spices I can't remember right now). We also threw some grilled chicken in there. It was awesome.

Live with sincerity, love with passion, and dance like you mean it.

Debbie

Last night was chicken with artichoke hearts, garlic, and tomatoes. Broccolli and sweet potatoes and of course a mixed green salad.

Tonight is catch as catch can - DD has gymnastics, I have a board meeting and DH is on his own. It'll probably be subway for DD and me. DH will mostly likely take his mom out to dinner - he's good that way.

There is a place called Dream Dinners here that I go to every so often. They chop, dice and prep everything. All you do is throw the ingredients into a zip lock bag. The price of one dinner is ranges from $15-25, but it feeds 4-6 people and I know we can't go out for less than that. It's great because I always have five or six dinners in the freezer for a quick dinner solution. Plus I can modify the ingredients to cut the fat and increase the fiber. They even provide pasta and rice side dishes although I usually skip those since I prefer the multigrain pasta and wild rice. They only provide the plain white stuff - yuck.

Where can I get Cathe's cookbook?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.