What would you do?

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi everyone :D
I hope to join you later this week with exercise classes.:-jumpy Just thought I'd pose a question to you; the educated ones, as Cathe proudly calls this wonderful group.
Question: you have a client in your class (me)or perhaps yourself, who is coming back to workout after a 2 week layoff from an injury (inflammed, irritated and strained piriformis and sciatic nerve); what would you suggest they start out with their first few days of workout.
Doc says I should heal 100% by following his instructions of no lower body workouts all during my layover, which I am faithfully doing. I almost know all of Cathe's upper body sections by heart. I could whisper cues to any first time instructors who is extremely nervous...just joking...LOL

I am an over-achiever and push myself hard to the limit, so just wanted your advice, just as a guage to go by, that you might have your clients do...say one who had been training for the Olympics? :D :D :D

Wanda

Some ideas

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-01 AT 10:35PM (Est)[/font][p]Really, it depends on the specifics of your injury. Once your physican clears you for physical activity, ask if you can have a few sessions with a physical therapist. PT will help you get restarted safely.

Some other suggestions:

Start back with slow, low impact work in short durations. After a few weeks off your tendons and ligaments need some time to regain their strength and suppleness. Be careful as you start back to exercises.

If your body aches, take the next few days off and try again. Be keenly aware of your activities and listen to your body. What specific things cause you soreness: lateral movement? impact? twisting?

Be careful and be healthy.

Honey

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.