What would you do with 4 "Rotten" Bananas?

Boingo1

Cathlete
I have 4 overripe bananas. Wondering if there's some yummy somewhat healthy recipes out there for banana-whatever! :)

Best. Banana. Muffins. EVER. I don't make them vegan most of the time- regular milk works fine. :) Sometimes I sub some applesauce for the oil, sometimes not. They turn out fine either way.

From the Garden of Vegan
1 1/3 c. organic whole wheat flour
1/2 c. turbinado (or splenda works)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. sea salt
3/4 c. ground flax
2 organic bananas, mashed
1/3 c. olive oil (or sub applesauce in equal amounts)
1 t. vanilla extract
2/3 c. organic rice milk (or soy or almond milk or milk, even skim is fine)

optional 1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl stir together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, combine bananas, oil, vanilla, and rice milk. Pour liquid ingredients with the dry and mix together gently until "just mixed". Spoon into lightly oiled muffin pan (or muffin cups) and bake 15-20 minutes. Yields 12 muffins.

Freeze them

I buy tons of bananas!!My family loves them but usually I have one or two at the end of the week that are overripe. I cut them up and put them in little plastic bags and pop them in the freezer. Then i either cut them up (frozen) and put them on peanut butter toast or I make smoothies with them . aliitle milk ,splenda, frozen bananas,oj ,ect. after workout its perfect! I put whatever fruit is not going to get eaten in the freezer,recently i had a bunch of cantelope. Most fruit freezes really well.

I heard this on Mancow's morning madness:
Mash them up, put them in an old bra and wear to bed...suppose to make the girls firm and perky. :eek:

Let us know if this works will ya?:D

Mash them up, put them in an old bra and wear to bed...suppose to make the girls firm and perky. :eek:

Let us know if this works will ya?:D

LOL!
I've heard of banana boobs, but with a totally different meaning:eek:
Oh, that sounds sooooo sticky!

I'd either use them for smoothies or banana bread/muffins. Just did that for lunch today, as a matter of fact.

ITA with breads, muffins, smoothies. Also, you can make them into homemade "Frosty Paws", if you have a dog.

"Frosty Paws"

Blend it all together and freeze in paper cups, muffin tins, whatever.

Also tastes good enough to drink yourself. :)

ITA with breads, muffins, smoothies. Also, you can make them into homemade "Frosty Paws", if you have a dog.

"Frosty Paws"

• 32 fluid ounces yogurt
  • 1 banana, ripe, mashed
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons honey
Blend it all together and freeze in paper cups, muffin tins, whatever.

Also tastes good enough to drink yourself. :)

Me Vs. the dogger. I wonder who'd win? We'd both love this!

Nan

Peel, break into pieces, freeze for at least 2 hours (in a zip-lock bag or freezer container) and use to make a smoothie, like the following:

1 frozen banana, 1 cup frozen or fresh fruit, 1 handful spinach (or, if you have a powerful blender like a Vitamix, 2-3 leaves kale--the smaller amount if you're not used to green smoothies). About 1 - 1 1-2 C. water (to make desired thickness).Blend until smooth. AddTaste and tweek (if it tastes too 'green,' add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. If it doesn't taste sweet enough, add more banana or some agave nectar.)

Banana "ice cream": peel and chop bananas, freeze overnight. Put in food processor with other fruits if desired (or just plain for banana ice cream). Mix until smooth.

(P.S. What do you mean by "overripe"? A friend of mine considers bananas with any brown on as "overripe," but bananas should have brown 'freckles' to be most digestible. Green bananas are unripe.)

Sooooo...

I did this (in the freezer now):

Frozen Banana Cream

1 Serving

This is an old restaurant trick that has been around for years. Use
this delightfully simple "sorbet" wherever you would use ice cream.
Try it sprinkled with chopped nuts, or on a bed of pureed
raspberries or strawberries.

Start to finish: 5minutes

1 very ripe banana

Peel the banana and cut it into chunks. Put the chunks, uncovered,
on a plate in the freezer, and freeze for at least an hour. (They
can stay overnight.) When you're ready to serve, take out the banana
and put the frozen pieces in a blender or food processor, and
process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container as
needed. As the bananas thaw slightly, the texture will become smooth
and creamy.

AND I made Patti's muffins!!! YUM! My kids came home from school and gobbled up 2 apiece! Thanks!

The bananas were just about BLACK, so , yeah, they were over ripe.

No dog here, but that concoction looks deadly for ME! Dogs must love it though!

And OMG, the banana in the bra trick!!! Interesting!

Interesting.
I just recalled another use for a ripe banana : a small amount of it, mashed up, makes a good...um...lubricant (and I'm not talking cars).:cool:

Interesting.
I just recalled another use for a ripe banana : a small amount of it, mashed up, makes a good...um...lubricant (and I'm not talking cars).:cool:

wouldnt the natural sugars be likely to give you a wicked yeast infection?????

Chris: Glad you liked the muffins! My 3 and 2 year olds love them! I make them in the mini muffin pans and they disappear fast. I think DH is responsible for eating at least half of them. :)

I freeze over ripe bananas as they are, in the skin, just stick em right in the freezer. they defrost on the kitchen counter in just a few hours. the consistency is loose and you can basically squeeze it right from the peel if you just cut off the top. it is a little weird, i know, but the PERFECT cosistency for adding to banana bread, muffins, etc. and this way i always have over ripe bananas on hand for these kinds of treats!

wendy

Banana Bread

I use them to make this bread that my kids love

BANANA BREAD

3-4 ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1/2 c lowfat vanilla, banana or plain yogurt
1/4 c softened unsalted butter
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mash bananas in a lg mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except flour, and beat together using a hand mixer. Then add flour slowly a little bit at a time.

Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake @350 degrees for about 1 hr. Enjoy!

Bananas with the brown freckels on them are my favorite way to eat them! Thats when they taste the best! :D

A smoothie to try:

-1 banana
-1 cup unsweetened almond milk OR 1 cup Fat Free milk
-1 scoop whey protein powder (chocolate flavor)
-5 or 6 ice cubes
-Blend and ENJOY! Its SO good!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.