What would you do if you were me?

lindsey

Cathlete
Alright...so I know the BEST option is to not tan at all...but...

I am getting married in September and REALLY REALLY do not want to be pasty white for my wedding. I will hate myself in the pictures. I don't feel I need to be dark, but just want a little color.

The last few years I was addicted to a tanning bed and told myself I was going to stop now. (which is another reason it will be hard to see myself pale in photos.)

I have tried to spray on/lotion tans, but I feel like they make me orangish. So it will be awful in a ivory dress. Well today I went outside and sat in the sun for 15 minutes wearing SPF 15 sunscreen. It seems that I got a little color, but didn't burn at all. I was thinking about doing it about 2 times a week.

I also think this will get my skin a little bit more used to the sun so I do not just scorch myself sometime this summer when im outside all day.

I was just wondering what would you do?

Do you think this is the best option or should I try something different?

As someone you would probably refer to as pasty white I choose to be proud of my heritage and delight in the fact that I am far reducing likelihood for skin cancer. And if all else fails, I might use a dab of Famous Dave's on my pasty self.

If being outside gave you some color then stick with that. I'm not opposed to the tanning salon a few times before the wedding either.

It's a one time deal with wedding pictures so why not look your best and then be good after the wedding in relation to sun.

That's just my opinion.

I'm not opposed to tanning salons either--it's a personal choice. I love to go tanning (but don't lately because I'm trying to be frugal ;)). It's the only time when I am completely alone and no one bothers me. My phone goes off, I close my eyes and take a 10 minute nap in the "sun" (aka tanning bed). I usually do it on my lunchbreak at work--and I come back to the office so relaxed and happy! If you go once a week or so just to get some color for your wedding, I don't see why that would be bad. (That's just my opinion, though).

Also, I got enabled by mnay here (who shall remain nameless ;)) to try Famous Dave's self tanner. And I LOVE IT! It is not orangey or streaky. It's awesome. And it doesn't wear off or stain anything. Try it--you might love it. I got it off of Famous Dave's store on Ebay. It's a tiny bit pricey but worth it IMHO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAMOUS-DAVES-SE...ryZ31773QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

I understand the threat of skin cancer is a very real one.

I try to make healthy choices in my life MOST of the time BUT I am not one to live in a bubble or in fear of what could happen down the line every time I choose to do something that is not absolutely healthy for me.

That being said, I think what you are thinking of doing is fine. I would do it in a heartbeat. :)

Go for it...and if the threat of skin cancer in your future doesn't scare you, how about the inevitable age spots that come from lying in the sun?

I came of age in a time when we didn't have the great spfs or fake tanners that we have now or know about the dangers of tanning that we know now. Or that "liver spots" had nothing to do with your liver and that they were preventable. I wish I had known then, but, instead, we were told that we looked "healthy" with a tan, when what we were doing was damaging our skin. (Oh, and then there are the wrinkles you'll get a lot earlier than if you don't tan.)

Just some things to think about.

There is something also called a spray tan around here costs $35 and someone sprays the tan on you and is not harmful to your body.

I would go to a spa or salon (a good one) and get the spray on color. I know someone who did that and it looked great. It looked very natural. It's not that expensive (and hey, it's for your wedding anyway). You can find a place now a go a couple of times to see how dark you want to go and how you like the look. That way, no surprises later, and so skin cancer or burning risk either.

<I try to make healthy choices in my life MOST of the time BUT I am not one to live in a bubble or in fear of what could happen down the line every time I choose to do something that is not absolutely healthy for me.>
I say that every time I have a margarita. :9

Thanks Teresa for a little consolation for us pasty peeps.

>I came of age in a time when we didn't have the great spfs or
>fake tanners that we have now or know about the dangers of
>tanning that we know now. Or that "liver spots" had nothing to
>do with your liver and that they were preventable. I wish I
>had known then, but, instead, we were told that we looked
>"healthy" with a tan, when what we were doing was damaging our
>skin. (Oh, and then there are the wrinkles you'll get a lot
>earlier than if you don't tan.)
>
>Just some things to think about.

I am living proof of the above. I had the most beautiful alabaster skin as a teen. My parent's friends have told me how much they admired it. I was never a sun worshipper, but the exposure I did get was enough to turn my skin a sort of dull, medium shade, and new "liver" spots are appearing monthly! x( Ah well, I've got lots of company. We all get to be young for about a minute and a half. :(

ETA: If you haven't seen it, look at the footage of Princess Diana on her wedding day with her porcelain skin and antique ivory gown. It's hard to imagine a bride more beautiful than that.

Nancy, I have a friend who is in her 40s and she rarely tanned as a teen, was into the whole goth pale skin look in the '80s, and has been deligent about sunscreen ever since. I wish you could see her. There are NO WRINKLES or age spots. I can't get over it. Her skin is so smooth and, I don't know...translucent? I'd give anything for skin like that.

I have the pale/reddish Irish skin with freckles. Even if I wanted to, I can't tan. I invested in my own air compressor so that I can use the spray tan. I love it. Ive tried all sorts of different brands, and Dave's Famous Tanner (I use the spray tan) is the best. My boyfriend sprays it on me every other week, and it just gradually fades away and then I get sprayed again. Its great.
I don't expect to be real tan, I just like to have a little color so I don't stand out.
I'll show you myself without the tan, and then with the tan.

What about one of those lotions that you can use at home that isn't a tanner but enhances the color? that way,you can't turn orange but you get a bit of color too?

I use the L'Oreal one on my legs, since no matter what I do, they rarely get any color anyway, and I really like the result. The smell is pretty okay too (Note: beware of the one made by Dove - awful smell!) I've never had swipe marks or brown areas or anything like that when using it.

>I say that every time I have a margarita. :9

How many times do I have to tell you....if you want me to drink with you then you need start makin' the martinis for me girl!;) :p :7

>I would go to a spa or salon (a good one) and get the spray
>on color. I know someone who did that and it looked great. It
>looked very natural. It's not that expensive (and hey, it's
>for your wedding anyway). You can find a place now a go a
>couple of times to see how dark you want to go and how you
>like the look. That way, no surprises later, and so skin
>cancer or burning risk either.

I agree.
And maybe use a bronzer for your face (I don't like the idea of breathing in the spray-on stuff). Laura Geller's (Gellar?) stuff on QVC looks good (though I've never used it).

And definitely try these things out beforehand, to check for color, depth of color, and possible rub-off!

i say stick to moderate tanning outdoors. if you got some color with spf 15 then you should be able to continue to darken your tan by the time of your wedding. if after that you want to return to white you can. i'm a tanner. i know the risks and have tried all the sunless tanners out there. i just always have issues with patchy fading even with exfoliation. so i figure everything in health is all about moderation so this is how i tan. its a personal choice only you can make.

Um yeah Ms. Pasty Fellow Irish chick....you have beautiful skin (at least from what I can tell from your pic)

I tanned as a teen and then stopped. At 23, I was a tan-less bride, but I think I looked beautiful. Do not fear being pale and in a white dress. :)

Either way (provided you don't burn), I think you'll look fantastic.

I think the professional spray on tan someone mentioned is a really good idea, especially if you try it out a few times beforehand so you can know exactly what to expect. It took me a long time to finally accept my freakishly pale skin, and I can happily say that I'm able to think of it as porcelain rather than pasty these days. But- I can totally understand your state of mind right now.

My uncle died of melanoma at 44 last summer. It's a hellish way to go to say the least, and my dear aunt is now a widow at the age of 40. I don't want to freak you out or guilt trip you, but just assure you that even at your whitest and pastiest, I'm sure you'd make a beautiful bride. Congrats in advance!

Another thought: make sure you not only try out the spray tan ahead of time, but take some pictures. Sometimes a fakey look really shows up in photos.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.