What workout shoes do I need?

ETA: sorry I just realized this was in Ask Cathe....maybe my response will bump your question!

I've been all over the place on footwear But I have never used the same shoes for lifting weights and step.

I have been lifting weights barefoot for awhile and really prefer it.

Currently, using wrestling shoes for step. I haven't used them long enough to say whether I will continue using them. So far so good.

I tried to find volleyball shoes but never could find any that I could try on. I have heard of others using them for step.

Looking forward to hearing others input.

ETA: sorry I just realized this was in Ask Cathe....maybe my response will bump your question!

I've been all over the place on footwear But I have never used the same shoes for lifting weights and step.

I have been lifting weights barefoot for awhile and really prefer it.

Currently, using wrestling shoes for step. I haven't used them long enough to say whether I will continue using them. So far so good.

I tried to find volleyball shoes but never could find any that I could try on. I have heard of others using them for step.

Looking forward to hearing others input.
Thanks for the info ! I did some more research on here and online and for step I went with Hoka one one tivra they are very light and have lots of cushion and support . I used them once so far. I got the Nike in-season TR 9 training shoe that Cathe wore in one of her videos lol so we shall see how those work when I get them on Monday .

Thanks for the info ! I did some more research on here and online and for step I went with Hoka one one tivra they are very light and have lots of cushion and support . I used them once so far. I got the Nike in-season TR 9 training shoe that Cathe wore in one of her videos lol so we shall see how those work when I get them on Monday .

Oh I hope those work for you! Finding the right shoe is so individual!

I look forward to hearing what you think after a bit. I have to say it takes me about that long to figure out if I like (or don't like ) what I'm using.

I have purged several pairs of other shoes along the way that didn't work for me.:-(

I'd love to hear how these worked for you, Joyce. I've been using Rykas (Devotion XT) and liking them a lot for my Cathe workouts, but they don't seem to last very long. Not a huge deal since I love an excuse to buy new athletic shoes, but still curious what you find out!

I, too, definitely recommend barefoot-style (or straight-up barefoot) for lifting. You don't want really any heel rise when you're doing heavy squats, DLs, lunges, etc, otherwise your form is compromised and you risk injury to knees, back... Really anywhere up the chain.

Keep us posted!

Jenniebean16, Funny you mention that ...but ever since I went to barefoot and incorporated knee strengthening exercises, I haven't had to wear my copperfit knee sleeve during lunges or squats.

I had attributed it to the extra exercises..and they certainly helped ...but maybe the no lift shoe/barefoot is also helping.

I'd love to hear how these worked for you, Joyce. I've been using Rykas (Devotion XT) and liking them a lot for my Cathe workouts, but they don't seem to last very long. Not a huge deal since I love an excuse to buy new athletic shoes, but still curious what you find out!

I, too, definitely recommend barefoot-style (or straight-up barefoot) for lifting. You don't want really any heel rise when you're doing heavy squats, DLs, lunges, etc, otherwise your form is compromised and you risk injury to knees, back... Really anywhere up the chain.

Keep us posted!

Lady Vol Fan that's awesome!! I tend to have some occasional knee and hip issues myself, so I am very picky about form and shoes. From my time as a gym rat/personal trainer/bootcamp coach, I can definitely attest to the barefoot approach being extremely helpful for the ol' joints! I'm sure the other exercises helped as well, as you said.

Joyceknox,
I'd like to here how the shoes worked for you. I have been using Ryka's, but am looking for more cushioning and support in arch for high impact. Am considering Nike Free tr8, but no one has them at stores so I can't try before I buy. Hope to here from you, and anyone else with recommendations!
I have never tried doing weights barefoot, but I am gonna give it a go after all the talk about it!

Joyceknox,
I'd like to here how the shoes worked for you. I have been using Ryka's, but am looking for more cushioning and support in arch for high impact. Am considering Nike Free tr8, but no one has them at stores so I can't try before I buy. Hope to here from you, and anyone else with recommendations!
I have never tried doing weights barefoot, but I am gonna give it a go after all the talk about it!
Hi sorry took forever to respond ! I am in love with the Nike tr8 they are light and I am able to do lunges perfectly With these sneakers which for me was a plus . The Rykas feel stiff too me and I don’t use them that often !

I use Nike cross trainers. I haven't attempted to use weights barefoot. I usually do cardio before or after weights so I just wear the same shoes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.