What weights do you use?

kathy65

I have 3,5,8,10, and 15 lb dumbbells, A bar that weighs 15lbs on its own and 2 of each 10, 5 and 2.5 lb plates. Also a 10 lb and 20 lb kettlebell and a 5 lb weighted ball. And a step with 6 risers. what do you use/

Last edited:
I Have 1, 2.5, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 15lb weights a Body Bar that goes up to 40 or 50lbs, weighted gloves, and a 7 inch step that goes up to 12 or 14". However, I've mostly been using my 3, 5, and 8lb weights lately. Cathe is a showoff :p:p

I am in NZ so our weights are in kilograms not pounds, but I've added the pound conversion. I've been adding to my home gym for a number of years now and have a lot of equipment.

I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 kg Dumbbells (2.2-15.4 lbs), a 9 kg dumbbell (20 lb), these are the ones I use most often. I have a pair each of 0.5 kg and 1 kg ankle/wrist weights (1.1-2.2 lbs), a 3 kg and a 4 kg kettlebell (6.6 & 8.8 lbs), and a 3 kg (6.6 lb) medicine ball. I also have a pair of adjustable dial up dumbbells (similar to BowFlex) that range from 5 kg to 40 kg (11-88 lbs) but the heaviest I've used so far is 13kg (28.6 lbs) on these.

For Barbells I have a Don Oliver Barbell that goes up to 17 kg (37.5 lbs) which I use the most, a standard barbell and an EZ Curl barbell that both weigh about 6 kg (13.2 lbs) on their own and take the same sized weight plates. The weight plates I have for these 2 barbells are 4 x 5 kg (11 lbs), 10 x 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) and 10 x 1.25 kg (2.75 lbs).

As for Steps/Benches, I have 2 weight benches, one has a barbell stand attached, a preacher curl attachment, leg curl attachment and storage for the weight plates, and can be inclined and declined, the other is just a standard bench that can be inclined and declined. I also have 2 aerobic steps + a high step and a total of 13 risers, so I can set up a step with 12 risers (6 risers each side) if I want to.

I have a stability ball, various resistance bands, tubing and loops, and 3 ActivMotion bars, 1 x 8lb bar and 2 x 4.5lb bars of which one is a glimpse bar. These are weighted bars partially filled with steel balls that roll from side to side and can help with balance, form correction and core stability.

I have a lot of other equipment too but these are the main weight related ones. :)

I Have 1, 2.5, 3, 5, 8, 10, and 15lb weights a Body Bar that goes up to 40 or 50lbs, weighted gloves, and a 7 inch step that goes up to 12 or 14". However, I've mostly been using my 3, 5, and 8lb weights lately. Cathe is a showoff :p:p
I hope to be able to up my weights. I can't lift the 50 lb bar to get it on my shoulders yet for squats :(

I am in NZ so our weights are in kilograms not pounds, but I've added the pound conversion. I've been adding to my home gym for a number of years now and have a lot of equipment.

I have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 kg Dumbbells (2.2-15.4 lbs), a 9 kg dumbbell (20 lb), these are the ones I use most often. I have a pair each of 0.5 kg and 1 kg ankle/wrist weights (1.1-2.2 lbs), a 3 kg and a 4 kg kettlebell (6.6 & 8.8 lbs), and a 3 kg (6.6 lb) medicine ball. I also have a pair of adjustable dial up dumbbells (similar to BowFlex) that range from 5 kg to 40 kg (11-88 lbs) but the heaviest I've used so far is 13kg (28.6 lbs) on these.

For Barbells I have a Don Oliver Barbell that goes up to 17 kg (37.5 lbs) which I use the most, a standard barbell and an EZ Curl barbell that both weigh about 6 kg (13.2 lbs) on their own and take the same sized weight plates. The weight plates I have for these 2 barbells are 4 x 5 kg (11 lbs), 10 x 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs) and 10 x 1.25 kg (2.75 lbs).

As for Steps/Benches, I have 2 weight benches, one has a barbell stand attached, a preacher curl attachment, leg curl attachment and storage for the weight plates, and can be inclined and declined, the other is just a standard bench that can be inclined and declined. I also have 2 aerobic steps + a high step and a total of 13 risers, so I can set up a step with 12 risers (6 risers each side) if I want to.

I have a stability ball, various resistance bands, tubing and loops, and 3 ActivMotion bars, 1 x 8lb bar and 2 x 4.5lb bars of which one is a glimpse bar. These are weighted bars partially filled with steel balls that roll from side to side and can help with balance, form correction and core stability.

I have a lot of other equipment too but these are the main weight related ones. :)
I am jealous! I want to go to your house! Only about 14,000 km :(

I hope to be able to up my weights. I can't lift the 50 lb bar to get it on my shoulders yet for squats
I have decided that I will never be able to safely lift much more than 45lbs up and over my head in order to place the bar on my shoulders. So, rather than a weight rack, I bought a weighted vest. It is great. It has twenty 1lb weights that fit in little pockets so I am able to gradually increase the weight. Very handy for STS Meso 3..

Committing to Cathe workouts does require a lot of space and equipment! I have set aside a small room in my house as a workout room and over many years have gradually acquired all the Cathe basics - Smart TV, DVD player, step bench with 5 risers per side, spin bike, barbell with lots of various weight plates, Fit Tower, weighted ball, mat, bands & loops, tubing, gliding discs & rags, dumbbells (3-35lbs), weight rack (super handy for keeping the weights all neatly and safely organized, quickly accessible and contained in a small space), stability ball, weighted gloves (1 removable lb/glove), ankle weights, and even dixie cups, towels (it can get mighty sweaty! ;)), a foam roller and a shelf for all the DVDs! ;):D It may seem like a LOT but I use the space almost daily and find it to be like a retreat for me - my own space to take time for myself and unwind. Not only is it great for my mental health, I figure that the investment is still less than that needed to join a gym year after year!

Last edited:
This is a very timely post for me as I’m considering increasing my dumbbell collection.

Like Jane my gym space is fully tripped out.

Currently I own 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,15 & 20 pound DBs in sets. I’m considering asking for a set of 25 and maybe 30 pound DBs for Christmas. The 20s are really too light for most chest and back exercises. We made our own weight rack. We each have gloves and boxing gloves.

I have two of the old Firm BBs. They each weigh 10 pounds unloaded. I have 4 - 2.5# plates, 4 - 5#, plates, 2 - 10# plates, 2 - 25# plates. I can maneuver 40#s pretty easily. I haven’t tried more yet. (I’m coming back from injury.) I have an 18# vest, thanks for the suggestion to use it!

KBs as follows: 4,6,10 (pair), 15, 18, 20, 26.4

Assorted med balls pairs 1-5 & single 10 pounds

Full assortment of bands and tubing

Cathe fit tower, folding weight bench, old heavy Tai - Bo bag, full step, two square tall steps, 14 risers, 3 assorted Firm wooden steps

Treadmill, Spin bike, recumbent bike, light & heavy hula hoops, Swiss ball, 48” rebounder, Gratz Conversion Cadillac/reformer fully decked out, Pilates pro chair, assorted half domes, foam roller, mats, Egoscue tower, boxes, etc. Jump rope.

My Fluidity bar is folded as I decide whether or not to part with it.

TV, DVD player and a very organized but obscenely huge DVD and book collection on a bookcase.

Almost forgot the sauna, massage room and rest room. I’m probably still forgetting something.

That’s it! Believe or not, it’s all in our bedroom. LOL! Just kidding!

We have an addition on our home, which I used with clients pre-COVID and hopefully will soon use for clients again. I love exercise and movement. I feel blessed to be able to indulge myself. Our addition is our favorite room in the house.

OK, so in addition to the weights related equipment I also have a Fit Tower, a Balanced Body Allegro Pilates Reformer with box and jumpboard (most expensive item), a Malibu Pilates Chair, a spin bike, a boxing bag, squat racks, a Lymphaciser rebounder (most recent purchase), a slide board, a Power Press push up board (allows me to do push ups with various hand positions), Yamuna foot wakers, a Yamuna Pearl ball for body rolling, a Vibration machine, Boxing gloves, Gliding discs, 2 foam rollers and a vibrating foam roller, various sized spiky balls (one that also vibrates), yoga blocks, a yoga band, a Pilates ring, various mats, a balance trainer (similar to a Bosu ball), a wobble board, a hand-held percussion massager, 3 massage cushions (one for the car, one does Shiatsu style and one does a mix of Shiatsu and vibration), and an inversion table. I think that's about it. Also lots of DVDs.

All this is mostly spread between my living room and dining room. Some items that I don't use very often are stored in my spare bedroom e.g. squat racks and 2nd aerobic step platform, and my inversion table is in my office.

I live alone so I don't have a lot of living and dining room furniture.

I also recently sold some equipment that I was no longer using including a Reebok Core Board (prefer the Bosu type balance trainer) and an old style Total Gym (which I got for Pilates style exercises before I bought my reformer).

Even though it is a lot, like Jane, I work out nearly every day and I believe it is more cost effective than a gym membership. Also, now with Covid, at least I know I am the only one touching my equipment.

I do normally go to a Pilates class once a week but the studio is closed at the moment thanks to Covid. I usually use the Cadillac table, the Balanced Body Pilates chair (which I can do more on than the Malibu Chair), the ladder barrel and the wall-mounted spring board at the studio. I can go through any exercises with my instructor that I am having difficulty with and get my form corrected and the mirrors at the studio are really useful.

If I ever get the finances I would like to develop the space under my house and make a work out room but for now my living and dining rooms will just have to do.

I don't have a couch just a long line of dumbbells ranging from 1 lbs all the way to 35 lbs (and I really want a pair of 40 pounders). I also have 4 1.25 lbs. magnets so I can do, for example, 22.5 lbs. when the 5 lbs. jump is too much. My barbell weighs 15 lbs and I have enough plates to go up to 70 lbs but would like a bit more for doing deadlifts. I've been lifting with Cathe and the crew for a about 10 years now and I was really proud of myself when I realized I could roll back with 35 lbs in each hand and do chest presses. I have the basic stuff otherwise: step, high step, all bands and loops, and the fit tower.
I can do the 50 lbs over my head for squats but it generally isn't enough weight--your legs can handle so much more. That is why in Slow an Heavy Cathe does pre-exhaustive work. For super heavy legs work out I go for a ruck on my local trails. Unfortunately the event I do every year was "virtual" this year, so I couldn't participate. I'm still progressing with the weight though: 90 lbs of sand--the uphill is easy, the downhill is super tough! Sometimes the simplest stuff is the hardest!
I've slowly built up my workout equipment and Cathe dvds over the years because of a tight budget. My two biggest wishes are now a spin bike and a Cathe roadtrip. Unfortunately being on my own makes it tough money wise, so someday . . . .

I have decided that I will never be able to safely lift much more than 45lbs up and over my head in order to place the bar on my shoulders. So, rather than a weight rack, I bought a weighted vest. It is great. It has twenty 1lb weights that fit in little pockets so I am able to gradually increase the weight. Very handy for STS Meso 3..

Committing to Cathe workouts does require a lot of space and equipment! I have set aside a small room in my house as a workout room and over many years have gradually acquired all the Cathe basics - Smart TV, DVD player, step bench with 5 risers per side, spin bike, barbell with lots of various weight plates, Fit Tower, weighted ball, mat, bands & loops, tubing, gliding discs & rags, dumbbells (3-35lbs), weight rack (super handy for keeping the weights all neatly and safely organized, quickly accessible and contained in a small space), stability ball, weighted gloves (1 removable lb/glove), ankle weights, and even dixie cups, towels (it can get mighty sweaty! ;)), a foam roller and a shelf for all the DVDs! ;):D It may seem like a LOT but I use the space almost daily and find it to be like a retreat for me - my own space to take time for myself and unwind. Not only is it great for my mental health, I figure that the investment is still less than that needed to join a gym year after year!

I'm a bit envious....On that note I Might have to report you for running an illegal gym :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.