What type of shoes?

Deb...

I have always sworn by either Reebok DMX walkers or Nike Air walkers. They are light-weight, yet have super cushioning capabilities. The Reebok DMX's actually have an air channel running through the sole of the shoe, and the air moves back and forth as you step, cushioning each foot fall. The Nike Air walkers are like stepping on pillows. I like them especially for any kind of impact step or intensity aerobics. I have chondromalacia of the right knee, and have found that wearing the Nike Airs during exercise makes me much less likely to suffer post-exercise pain and swelling.
Plus, the comfort factor is very important to me. I like the feeling of having my feet surrounded by thick cushioning. It makes them feel protected, especially since my home workout surface is carpeting on top of concrete (ugh!).
Don't be dissuaded by the fact that both the Reeboks and the Nikes are labeled "walkers". They are made for the power walker who needs lots of striking cushioning both rear foot and fore foot.
My former spouse (God rest him) was a podiatrist, and he swore by anything Nike made, but he also liked RockPorts. So you may want to check them out as well.
I say, go with what makes your feet feel good. Whenever I buy a new pair (since the Reebok and Nike people are always introducing new lines and types of shoe) I not only check for fit and comfort, but I jog in place, walk up and down the aisle of the shoe store, jump in place and do a few "step-like" moves, to check for the consistency of the cushioning and how stable my foot feels while moving around. Everyone's foot is different. In fact, I couldn't wear Nikes for years because they came in a "B" width and my foot is a "D" width. My poor little toe always seemed to get squashed and would burn after any length of time wearing the Nikes. However, since Nike started making their women's walker shoes in different widths, I have to say they are one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I've ever owned!
Have fun trying on shoes!
Hugs,
Lynn Finn

Lynn-
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I defintely will check out both types of shoes. I'm defintely into comfort!!
Deb

I'll put in my two cents as fitness instructor. I am taught to recommend a shoe for a specific sport unless you plan to cross-train. Walking shoes may be more comfortable but are just that - for walking. The points of impact for stepping, hi-lo aerobics and kickboxing are different than walking. I would highly recommend at an "aerobic" shoe or cross-trainer to give better support and protection from potential injury.

I believe Cathe uses Ryka, which I also teach in for step classes. Nike makes good shoes - they tend to run a little narrower I've found. Reebok, Asics and New Balance also produce great cross trainers.

For my Cathe workouts, I like Ryka's. Right now I am using "Cirrus"..I found them on sale on www.roadrunnerssport.com for $10 off the regular price. I use Reebok's DMX for my Firms. Alternating will, hopefully, keep the life in my shoes a bit longer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.