What type of barbell to get?

C

candice

Hi,

I've started using PS (LOVE IT!) and plan to start on CTX soon too. I already have MIS and Body Max. I hate my barbells though. They are the old plastic covered kind that measure the weight in kilos. I want some nice ones that measure in lbs. (so I can add 1,2,5,10 pounds easily,etc.) and that are easy to change so I can up poundage or drop it during the workout. I also don't want to spend a huge amount! :) So, any suggestions? (I have Sports Authority and #####'s Sporting Goods near me).

thanks!
Candice

HEY! I recently got an Ivanko padded barbell from paragonsports.com for $24.99, plus quick collars from the site as well. The bar weighs 10 lbs unloaded, and the collars are awesome. A lot of people suggested the bar bell to me on this forum, and I'm glad I took their advice! Good luck, and let me know what you decide to do!

I second that!

I have had 3 different kinds of barbells, and the Ivanko is my favorite! It's HEAVEN for lower body work with all of that padding! I still have my easy curl bar for when I don't want to switch back and forth when I'm doing both upper and lower body in the same workout, but I much prefer my Ivanko. You can get plates at any Walmart or sporting goods store ( with the 1" hole ) so you only have to pay shipping for the 10 lb. bar. It's wonderful!!

Erin

Thanks Ladies!

I think I will order these - but I want to be sure that the Bollinger Kwick Collars fit the Ivanko Aerobic Bar - is this correct?

thanks,
Candice

Hi Candice, do you have a Play It Again Sports near you? They have terrific prices on used barbells & plates (and dumbells, ankle weights, etc). They have a store locator on their website:

http://www.playitagainsports.com

I got my weights, bar & plates and a weight bench there for a great price

marnie

Yup! Those are the collars I got. And it's the black Ivanko Aerobic bar. They shipped it to me promptly and I haven't used my old barbell since I got this new one! It's great! I would definetly get it. Now I have a question for you! Do you use dumbells, too? And can you give me some advice on strength training videos? Which are your favorite? I strength train twice a week, and I've always used the Firm. I love Cathe for cardio, (IMax, Step Heat, Cardio Kicks...) but haven't tried her strength tapes. I ordered power hour but haven't done it yet. I can devote about an hour to working out 5 mornings each week, and I do power yoga once during the weekend. I do cardio 3 x and strength 2 x each week. What is your schedule? Do you follow a rotation? Let me know what you like and what works for you. Enjoy your barbell! Thanks!

Thanks, I just ordered the barbell & collars! Can't wait to get them!

I do use dumbells, too. Usually when the barbell is too heavy and I want to quickly drop weight down, or if the person in the video picks up dumbells, then I will too. My favorite weight training videos are Cathe MIS and the Cathe PS series. I have Body Max but only did it once & then got pregnant, and I haven't done it again but I remember liking it. I think it is over an hour, though. I also have Circuit max which I am going to try for the first time tomorrow - I like the idea of combining cardo + weights, to get both out of the way in one day! I haven't really done any rotations yet but I've been experimenting and eventually I will come up with a rotation(s) that I like. I try to do cardio 4x and weights 2x, but with the PS series it's hard to fit in the cardio, so I'm wondering if hitting each body part hard only once a week will still work. Oh, I also got Cathe's CTX series but so far have only tried the cardio sections (loved them tho!). I think next week I will do all of those CTX (there are 6 of them). I used to do the firm and did get good results, but I am more into Cathe now. Her cardio kicks butt, and I do enjoy the weight work she does. Now and then I may throw in a firm(the classics are the best, I think!) to mix things up a bit. Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy power hour(I've heard good things) and you may want to give MIS a try!

Candice

Hi, Candice, I had been using the Firm padded barbell which is a short padded barbell which weighs 10 pounds. I have long arms so I got it into my head to try a longer bar and ordered the Troy Lite bar and padded weights from http://www.fitness1st.com I used the bar yesterday and I liked it very much! I paid $66 including shipping. It's a 5 lb bar and comes with 35 lbs of plates ranging from 7.5 to 2.5. Cathe uses it on CTX. The plates are rubber. Very nice!

Bobbi

This was a very helpful thread, thank you! Can anyone tell me how LONG the Ivanko barbell is versus the Troy Lite? I've been toying with getting one or the other for too long, it's time to take the plunge. Are they 4 feet long or 5 feet?

TIA,

Elisa

The Ivanko is 4 feet long. I believe the Troy Lite is 5 feet, but I don't have that one, so I'm not positive.

Erin

Thanks, Erin. One more question, then. Is 4' a long enough enough bar to put plates on and still get a wide enough grip when required? I have four foot body bars and I can't see where there would be room for 2 or 3 plates on each end and enough gripping room. What do you (and other Ivanko users out there!) think?

TIA,

Elisa

HEY! I LOVE my Ivanko! There's enough room for sure. I have a longer barbell as well and the Ivanko is definetly better... shorter, more comfy, easier to handle! And if you get the quick collars you've got it made! I am so glad I purchased it thanks to people on this forum!

For me it is.

I have no problem with being able to grip the bar wide enough. When I have my hands all the way out to the edge of the padded section, my arms make that perfect goalpost that Cathe talks about as the goal when at the bottom of a chest press. And there is plenty of room for plates as well. My Ivanko is right up there with the BEST fitness investments I've ever made! :)

Erin

RE: For me it is.

Wow, thank you all! I found the bar at the Paragon Sports website and also at the Ivanko site. Ivanko doesn't seem to have prices on line so I e-mailed them and am waiting to hear back. Could I ask what weight plates you have and how many of each? I thought I would start with four 2.5# and maybe four 5# so I can increase by increments of 5# or 10# max and have a max with the 10# bar itself of 40#. Does that sound like a good plan?

TIA,

Elisa

Yes, Elisa!

That sounds like a good plan. When I started with my very first barbell, my weight plates , plus the bar, added up to a total of 40# and it worked very well for me for a long time. Have fun!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Yes, Elisa!

The Troy Lite is 5' long. I have been using the Firms padded barbell which is short but my arms are long so I wanted a new one and I love it!

I just ordered the Ivanko aerobic bar based on your helpful comments. I couldn't find it on the Paragon website though, I called Ivanko directly and was directed to a rep in my area. I did have a question as I am very new to weight lifting. I am going to use the bar to do MIS, can the bar with the foam padding be used for the upper body work? I noticed that Cathe removes the foam padding on her bar bell when she starts the upper body work.

Thanks.

Virginia

Yes, you can

It may make your forearms and hands a bit more fatigued at 1st until you get used to the larger diameter of the padded bar. I was used to my body bar when I bought my Ivanko barbell, so it wasn't as much of an adjustment for me.

Good luck! I know you'll love it!

Erin

RE: Yes, you can

Dear Erin,

Thanks so much for your reply. I can't wait to get my new Ivanko barbell and start using it!

Virginia

Hi Virginia
Can you tell me where you purchase your ivanko aerobic bar?I called Ivanko but no response.I checked out paragon website and they don't have it.Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Patty

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.