What modifications can I do for squats due to low back issues (herniated discs)

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!

First of all, I just want to thank you for your DVDs. You have truly changed my life, and my physique. I feel like I know you since I see you about 5 times a week :)

I recently purchased STS and am concerned about the heavy weights for squats. I have very bad discs in my low back (had surgery at 26 and have put off another surgery for the past 2 year and am currently 38). I do squats in your videos, for example I match you pound for pound in Butts and Guts. But to go heavier, will put me at risk of injury. I have remained surgery free (and most days pain free) by making smart choices, working on my core and stretching.

What advice do you have for me in terms of modifications to get the same results as STS would provide? I have no other limitations in terms of intensity, and high impact is no problem.

I am also going to put this question out to the masses on the general forum, to see what your cathletes have to say.

Thanks for your help. Have a great night!

Susan

I also have herniated discs in my lower back and opted not to have surgery. For squats, I no longer use heavy weights. I use moderate (or sometimes light) weights and do them against the wall with a stability ball. I was shown this version in PT and it works great for me.

Shelbygirl

Interesting post; I also have a herniated disc (and DDD) so I really like the ball/wall squat idea. Thanks!
I've been doing regular squats and lunges with no barbell but holding moderate dumbbells, and counting on Cathe's other workouts to work me out with a variety different exercises.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.