What is your Target HR Zone?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I just want to make sure I am figuring my target HR zone out correctly.

I have always figured my MAX to be 220 - age = MAX HR

I then choose my minimum target to be about 75% and my max target to be 90%

Am I doing this correctly? And does my TARGET change depending on what type of exercise I do? For instance, I seem to only get in my target zone doing HiiT-type exercises (and even then, I am at my low end). Doing steady state cardio rarely even gets me in my zone and doing cycling has never gotten me in my zone.

Even though I am not within my zone, I feel like I am getting a very good workout. When I do cycling, my HR does not get high at all but my legs are certainly building muscles and burning. Doing steady state exercises I will stay below my target but it is at about the same % the entire workout. For Hiit, I will hit my zone (low end) by the end of each exercise blast.

I really believe I am trying my all and have raised my stepper, always do moves with propulsion (rather than low impact), etc. So I don't believe that I am not giving it my all.

Perhaps my zone is too high? I never feel winded and my RPE is only moderate even in my zone. When I do get within my zone (during Hiit), I can still talk (albeit with a few deep inhalations) and recover fully within a few seconds (max 10 seconds).

Thanks for any input.

Hi,

The 220 minus your age thing is really just a guide. If this type of training interests you, you should take your resting heartrate for a few mornings before you get up and use a chart that shows you how to calculate your target using your resting rate (you can also use max rate, but I think you need to be in a lab for that one). I read a book by Sally Edwards about heartrate training (you can google her name and get lots of articles explaining). It's been years and I don't remember the specifics. But I remember that based on what I learned from her, I really want to be over 140 and the low 170's is my usual max. I'm happy and comfortable in the 140's. I'm working harder and have more trouble talking in the 150's and I'm toward the middle of a Hiit or Insanity workout closer to 160. I get to the 170's when I am sprinting or really, really pushing myself. That happens rarely.

I have a hard time finding exercise videos that get me above 140 and keep me above it for most of the workout. Circuit workouts (alternate cardio and weights) don't work for me because the cardio never gets me up high enough in the time they do the cardio and then the weights bring me down too far to ever get back up. Cathe's Imaxes, Body Max, Athletic step, Hiit and Core Cardio get me there. The rest of her workouts don't. Amy Dixon's Breathless Body, Insanity, Asylum and Cardio Coach workouts are great for getting me in my zone also.

That said, I think perceived exertion is important. And if you feel like you are challenging yourself, then you probably are. The numbers are good as a guide, but don't let it frustrate you.

I have always figured my MAX to be 220 - age = MAX HR

I then choose my minimum target to be about 75% and my max target to be 90%

And does my TARGET change depending on what type of exercise I do? For instance, I seem to only get in my target zone doing HiiT-type exercises (and even then, I am at my low end). Doing steady state cardio rarely even gets me in my zone and doing cycling has never gotten me in my zone.

Even though I am not within my zone, I feel like I am getting a very good workout. When I do cycling, my HR does not get high at all but my legs are certainly building muscles and burning. Doing steady state exercises I will stay below my target but it is at about the same % the entire workout. For Hiit, I will hit my zone (low end) by the end of each exercise blast.

I really believe I am trying my all and have raised my stepper, always do moves with propulsion (rather than low impact), etc. So I don't believe that I am not giving it my all.

Perhaps my zone is too high? I never feel winded and my RPE is only moderate even in my zone. When I do get within my zone (during Hiit), I can still talk (albeit with a few deep inhalations) and recover fully within a few seconds (max 10 seconds).

Thanks for any input.

Your target depends on what you are trying to get out of your workout. I would aim for at least 70% of my max for a steady state.

For interval workouts I try to work at 80% or higher during the exertion portion. I try not to let it dip below 70% during the rest portion.

If you aren't seeing the numbers be high enough on your HRM, then you may not be getting the workout you were hoping for. The result is good, it adds activity to your day but it won't increase or improve your cardiovascular capacity.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.