What is your favourite step workout?

amyleew

I have been doing step for a few months now and I have Basic Step & Body Fusion. They were a bit too easy so I moved on to Step Blast and I LOVE it! I am ready to try a new workout now but I find Rhythmic Step a bit complicated... I don't think I am co-ordinated enough for that just yet but I will get there.

So here is my question... what is your favourite step DVD? I would love some suggestions on what to get next!

If you want a dvd with step only, I LOVE IMAX2. Of course, it comes with Cardio & Weights also. The intensity is up there with IMAX2, but the choreography is no more complicated than Step Blast. I also love Cardio & Weights step portion. Not too difficult at all. LIC, BM2 and 4ds all have great step routines. LIC and BM2 are easier to learn, IMHO. 4ds has 2 great 30 minute step routines, are a little more complicated, but oh so fun!

Hope that helped. You can't go wrong, really. They are all great!!

Last edited:
My favorite Cathe step DVD is Rhythmic Step. I also like High Intensity Step and Low Intensity Step from 4 Day Split and Step Blast.

You might want to try Low Max which I would say is about the same complexity as Step Blast. But IMAX 2 is also a good one to move on with. I would say it's moderate choreography compared to Rhythmic Step which is complex.

Marcy

I vote for LIC and BM2 for step, love the music and love the routines. They are circuit DVD's but there is premixes for just step. The most bang for your buck would be BM2. Cardio Fusion is good to but it may take a bit to learn because the moves aren't broken down which is great when you know the moves.

Since you have Step Blast, have you tried the cardio premix of Step, Pump & Jump? It starts out with Step for about 20min. and is sooo fun the the music is fabulous, then you do a floor aerobic routine that is fun also. This pre-mix is probably my most favourite one. BM2 and LIC cardio premixes are great too!

After Basic step I went on to LIS which was like a mini IMAX 2 for me. IMAX 2 is good one too. But for me Step Blast, and the HIS from 4dS are my two favorite for fun. I love the music and love the combos.

Carmen.

I love rhythmic step - but since you find this a bit complicated, then I would say not to go for the 4DS step routines. They are only 30 minutes so I think she moves quickly through the routine and she does a fair bit of the routine where you have your back to her. I love these step workouts, so I am basing my opinion of them not being something I would recommend to you on the fact that you think rhythmic step is complicated for you.

Having said that I would agree that low max is a great one as are the IMAX 2 and 3 workouts. Good calorie burns and fairly straight forward choreography-wise. I haven't yet done my new Shock cardio athletic step though - that might be one for you. I've seen a lot of positive posts about this one, fun and easy to do (choreography-wise) from the get-go.

PowerMax!

Hi amyleew!
If you're looking to ease into Cathe's choreography, I highly recommend looking into some of Cathe's earlier videos where she teaches the moves more slowly. Bear in mind that the outfits and music are dated so take a look at the video clips and see if that's going to bother you. I've been doing all of them since they first came out so I'm used to it - plus I had the same sort of outfits myself :D!

The Cardio Hits DVD would be my first recommendation. It has PowerMax, StepFit and Step Works plus a short ab section. PowerMax and StepFit are 2 of my all-time favorites and I think Cathe breaks down the moves enough that they are easy to learn. Step Works moves a little more quickly.

For something even more basic, you could try the Classics Vol #1 DVD which has Step Jam, Step Heat and Step Max, all of which have simpler choreography than the workouts on Cardio Hits. I still do Step Jam and Step Heat regularly. I find Step Max too basic to do anymore on the step but I enjoy doing it on the Bosu.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.