What is your favorite circuit workout?

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I recently hurt my shoulder so I need to ease back into upper body weights. My chiropractor recommended just doing 1 set of each exercise instead of the normal 2-3 sets, but he doesn't understand that I just do what's in a DVD ;)

I was geared up to start STS May 1st, but I need to postpone it a week or two and I figured the best way to ease into it would be circuit workouts.

What is your favorite circuit workout (Cathe or non-Cathe) and why? I am looking forward to your opinions!

Thanks,
Susan

Drill Max, CardioSupersets or Afterburn have some light shoulder work that could ease you back in. Good luck!

Love drill max, boot camp, high step challenge...if there is any shoulder work involved just lower your weights. I injured my shoulder a couple of months ago and you really have to be careful with shoulder injuries. The shoulder is very vulnerable and it takes awhile for it to heal. You have to be careful when you do push ups and plank work too. I hope it heals quickly, but don't rush back into heavy weights until it feels close to 100%. You don't want to risk making it worse. Good luck!

Cathe:
Drill Max (LOVE it!!!)
Low Impact Circuit
High Step Challenge

Non-Cathe:
Ultimate Body Shaper (Stephanie Vitorino)
Body Target 60 (Stephanie Vitorino)
Circuit Zone (Tracey Staehle--fyi, I think she swears in this one)
All versions of Get Ripped 1000 (Jari Love)

I love Drill Max or High Step Training for workout days when I have over an hour for a workout, and Circuit Blast when I have to get everything in under an hour.

Also, I just wanted to follow up on Jenn's note. I am sure you are going to listen to your doctor on getting back into things, but listen to your "tweaks" as you do so. The shoulder injuries are tough; I had one that took a really long time to heal. I still have to be careful on certain lifts - arnold presses, flies and, like Jenn said, things you might not think of as shoulder-type exercises like push-ups and, for me, oddly, the bow-and-arrow move in step aerobics. (I don't know why, but something about the way I do that gets it every time). Good luck and good healing!

High Step Circuit (not training, circuit.) is a good one. Its not as intense as the newer workouts. I also like Jackie's Power Circuit, you could try it on netflix before you buy.

I hope you feel better soon.

LOVE Drill Max! I would just be careful and not do the dive bomber push ups. You should probably do a substitute move on that one.
Circuit Blast is nice too! I also love Lean Hot Body by Patrick Goudeau and Paul Katami's Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4. You'd probably have to modify any parts that are plank like or push up intensive though and go lightish on the weights.

Susan,

I was going to post on our check-in thread, but I will do it here just in case I forget. I'm trying to think of ones that might suit you...

NMTZ is a good overall body circuit w/o. You can use light weights (3lbs) since it's high reps.

I like Circuit Blast. One of the easier Cathe circuits w/o's IMO.

Jari Love's GER 1000. Step/floor cardio 3 min alternating with weight work 3min. High reps, so once again you can go very light w/the weight lbs.

Bob Harper's Inside Out Method: Pure Burn Super Strength & Cardio Rev. You can use very light weights but there are lots of plank exercises involved :(.

Basic Step/Body Fusion (Cathe). Body Fusion is super easy but you get a good circuit workout w/step cardio. I believe each body part is worked once or twice max.

I'm keepin' my fingers crossed you heal quickly. You will be back to kicking butt in no time! See you at the check-in ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies. All of you that recommended I stay away from (or go easy on) the push ups are totally right on. My shoulder is always the part of me that feels fatigue when doing pushups vs. my arms or chest, so I know I need to go easy.

My chiropractor assumed it was just a strained tendon, and I am happy to say after 3 visits, I feel back to normal. I plan on sticking with pure cardio tomorrow with full arm movement (I have done a few cardio workouts but didn't use that arm at all).

I will move onto a few circuit workouts (on Thursday, Saturday and Monday) and see how I do. If that works, I will move into more Total Body strength (high reps, muscle max, etc) for the rest of next week. If that goes well, then I will move onto STS. I am hoping that's gradual enough.

Colleen Funny you mention those dive bombers in Drill Max. I haven't done that DVD in 2 years as last time I did it, my back went out during those dive bombers. Almost had to have my 2nd back surgery. I think it might be time to get over my fear of that workout and DO IT since everyone loves it, but I think I will forever skip the dive bombers.:)

Thanks again everyone. (Natty - I'll see you at check in later tonight or tomorrow.)

Yeah, those dive bombers are killer!! I could totally see someone's back going out from those:(. I do attempt them but I can only usually do 1 or maybe 2 on a really strong day and then I immediately sink to my knees and wind up doing modified push ups:eek:. I think we just have to do what we can while still respecting our limits and staying safe! No harm in modifying as long as we keep moving! ;) I can't really think of any other moves in Drill Max that would strain the shoulder too much so maybe give it a whirl again when you feel up to it!:D

Hi Susan,
I see that my favs are listed -
Bootcamp (original/Muscle Endurance),
High Step Challenge,
High Step Training,
and
Circuit Blast.

I've done Bootcamp and Circuit Blast TONS of times - I think they are fun and the time goes by fast.
High Step Challenge and High Step Training - I've only done each of them once because they are new additions to my collection but I remember thinking how much I enjoyed them.

Glad you didn't have to have a 2nd back surgery, but I am sorry to hear that you even had to have one!
I stay away from dive bombers, anyway, because they kill my shoulders.
I swear, chiropractors are awesome; mine is the doctor that has helped me the MOST - none of the other doctors were any help at all.

Keep your shoulders/back healthy:)

My favorite is Cardio & Weights. It's not among her toughest workouts, but it is so much fun to me and I love the ab work at the end.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.