What is Happening to the world??

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I was at Wal Mart and I was so shocked to see just how disrespectful people have gotten, I have been mowed over just about by women in a hurry and didn't say excuse me please, just pushed everyone out of her way, that is happening all the time now. The other day, some old man was mad and shoved carts out of his way instead of saying " Excuse me please" I nicely said " I am so sorry" and moved my cart and he just glared at me, so I said "what ever happened to saying Escuse me plase?" and another pet peeve is that hardly anyone says good bye on the phone anymore. I am seeing so little respectful and curtious people around anymore. I am curtious because I don't want to offend anyone, but the again that is just me. Has anyone else watched any of this??

Yes, 'please,' 'thank you' and just plain common courtesy (not so common anymore) seem to be things of the past.

I have been doing almost-daily walks for the last 3 weeks, as a way of cross-training, and yesterday, I could tell that college students are back in town. While I avoided most of the traffic from them, I was still forced to see beer cans and fast-food trash thrown on the sides of the road and on people's lawns. P#@$ me off! Like they think that the world is their own personal garbage can and someone else is going to clean up after them.

Then last night, I heard someone in the street outside, and two drunken girls were trying to find a short-cut, it seems, through our dead-end street. I went out on my front porch to glare at them, and tell them they were trespassing on private property as they cut across a neighbor's lawn.

I like to use my philosophy of "kill 'em with kindness". lol The ruder somebody is to (or around) me, the NICER I get! lOL

Gayle

>And another pet peeve is that hardly anyone says good bye on
>the phone anymore.

I haven't noticed that, but if you watch TV or movies, people hardly ever say 'good-bye' (or 'see you later,' or whatever) to end a phone conversation. Always seemed odd to me, but I would never think that people would do that in 'real life.'

I have actually had people I work with get upset with me when I say "yes Maam or No maam....they say that they are not old people. I try to explain that it is just out of respect or my being polite but they do not get it. These are the same people that I never hear say thank you or please.

I keep thinking if I continue to use my manners it will rub off on them. One can hope right??

I was recently moved to a new position in my office (and talk about rude, I wasn't even asked or included in the decision to move me, even though it was a HUGE change to my job - and I am still expected to do the same job as before). Basically, my company wants to do more with less, so they fired the sales admin who was doubling as a receptionist and decided that I would take her place, and remain an executive assistant to the VP in our office. Nothing like assisting someone from all the way on the other side of the office - any exec asst's out there know how hard that is to do. At any rate, I now sit in a high traffic area of the office and went from having no interruptions to getting interrupted just about every 10 minutes. Talk about a hinderance to getting your job done. So, anyhoo, I had to start closing my office door during certain times of the day when I had routine tasks that needed to get done - especially in the mornings when I run all the office reports. Those reports should take less than 30 minutes and they were taking 3 hours with all the interruptions. Well, one day, I had closed my door and was working away, and this girl just walked right in and started talking to me about something that was neither urgent nor necessary for me to be involved in. No knock, no "Hey, are you busy?", no asking my permission to come in - nothing. Needless to say, the reception she got from me persuaded her never to walk in when my door is closed again. When did it become okay to just barge into someone's office without knocking?

I have stopped shopping at Wal-Mart for this very reason. I had turned into that lady who was mowing you down. Why? Because if you don't then you will never get anywhere in that store. Everyone there is rude from the cashiers to most of the customers. It was driving me insane. So I told DH, I am going to grocery shop somewhere else and I don't care if I spend more money. It is for my sanity and keeping me from telling off the wrong person. I have not been back to Walmart.
LD

>I have stopped shopping at Wal-Mart for this very reason. I
>had turned into that lady who was mowing you down. Why?
>Because if you don't then you will never get anywhere in that
>store. Everyone there is rude from the cashiers to most of the
>customers. It was driving me insane. So I told DH, I am going
>to grocery shop somewhere else and I don't care if I spend
>more money. It is for my sanity and keeping me from telling
>off the wrong person. I have not been back to Walmart.

I can totally see this. My ONLY problem with Wal-Mart(alright..outside of the fact that all of the Wal-Marts I have ever been in look like flea markets) is that the employees are rude and that the customers act like animals. Employees, I get just because no one seems to have good customer service anymore(I'm not saying this right, just that it seems to be widespread), but the customers? I just don't understand why people are treating each other this way...to save a few dollars?

My experience has been, no matter where I go, I treat someone with respect and manners. And, sometimes, I will have a kid who's very much "city" and then I be kind to them, this kid acts surprised then I, alot of times, see a very caring person come through. Like a previous post stated, kill them with kindness. One person can make a difference in this world.

IMO, it's all in how you choose to view people.

If you mine the world for disrespect, rudeness, and cynicism, that's what you will get. By the same token, if you look for the good in people, you'll find it.

I don't view ALL people the same way, I give great respect for others and I do recognize respect from others, But there are the few that have no respect for others, and yes I see animals all the time at Wal-Mart. You get people who rudely take up the WHOLE isle to talk to friends or family while you sit by and wait or go the long way around to get what you want, Like I said I don't view all that way nor wish to. but can't help noticing others bad manners

I think the manners of society have slipped as a a whole.

The grocery store/ walmart grievances are also amplified in that they build the stores with narrower aisles. If you "park" a cart to look at an item or God forbid, cost compare you block an aisle. It's not just walmart all of the stores are doing it.

I think we will live to regret the always on the go, always connected lives we are building for ourselves. People do need to decompress.

Yes. Politeness seems to have flown out the window & it's now every woman for herself.

I always joke w/people & say my mother raised me wrong--she did me a great disservice by bringing me up to be respectful to others & to be polite no matter what.

What can I say except don't stoop to their level--personally I refuse to. I can only hope that if I treat others w/kindness it'll rub off on at least one person & they'll pay it forward.

> When did it
>become okay to just barge into someone's office without
>knocking?
>
Um..how about "never"?
Or how about those people who knock, but don't wait for an answer before barging in. Not knocking to ask permission to enter, but knocking just to let you know they ARE entering. I find that rude as well.

Leslie...

What you describe is the reason I won't leave my house on the weekends.

Heck, even on the weekdays it's a struggle to go anywhere but work and back.

Just can't handle it! So I know what you mean!x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.