What if I don't want muscle on thighs

feelgood

Cathlete
Cathe, we're always told squats, lunges etc. for legs and butt. I can appreciate those with muscular legs and I want this for my upper body but not my legs, I want "straight", thin legs. Should I just stick to cardio/step or will I hinder my progress by not doing leg workouts with weight? thanks

Well that very much depends on your own body. A lot of people find step workouts make their quads bigger than they'd like. Personally, I found it slimmed my thighs. As far as weighted lower body workouts go, yes you could do a workout like Legs & Glutes without using any weights but you're unlikely to suddenly sprout footballers legs unless you a. use heavy weights or b. are genetically predisposed to look that way.

And last but not least is the point that Cathe and her crew have great looking legs, IMHO. We all know they use heavy weights, so do take them as evidence that women can lift heavy weights and have fabulous legs.

There's a lot more that can be said but I'm sure you'll get plenty of great advice.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

yes, I had said that I do think their legs look good, but that's just not how I want mine to look. I already have a lot of muscle there, I just don't know how to decrease without losing tone do they look flabby or something. I'm afraid to not work them and I'm afraid to work them more cause I want to decrease size. Maybe I'll just try less leg workouts and less step and more running.

I've never tried a rotation with the Slim Series workouts from Beach Body because they're incredibly boring, but most people find that these workouts really slim out the lower body. They are high rep low weight workouts. I think the heaviest weight used in these workouts is 5 pounds and maybe 8 for some exercises.

Feelgood, I could have written your post myself, as I feel exactly the same way! I did a 4 week slim training rotation with SlimSeries and really did see my lower body slim down, unfortunately as someone else stated, they are very boring workouts.

The Slim Series from BeachBody is 6 workouts and you do one each day of the week. It is basically the same type of exercises you normally do (squats, lunges, biceps curls, triceps, etc.) but you do about a trillion reps with 3 - 5 pound weights while staying in the "fat burning zone" (kind of like the Firm but with more reps). If you go to BeachBody.com and click on Slim Series you will see it. HTH:)

Perhaps private messaging someone about another company's workouts would be more appropriate than posting the suggestion on Cathe's forum. Just a gentle, polite reminder :)

I'd like to see Cathe's response to this. I have had my lower body seem to "bulk up" with heavier weights and I tend to stick with very light weights for my legs and butt or no weight. I am confused and frustrated. I also want a muscular upper body, but smaller legs and but...but I want definition, tone and a lean look with thinner thighs. Help us..please.

I, of course, don't know Cathe's thoughts on this, but I would think Cathe is secure enough that it is not that big of a deal to suggest other workouts here. I can understand if we were to keep on and on, but it was just a suggestion. I used to be an aerobics instructor and I had no problem whatsoever referring my students to other workouts/instructors if my classes were not what they were looking for.

I have found that cycling really slims and shapes my legs. I lift legs fairly heavily (equal or greater than cathe on every leg workout) and although my thighs are what some women would call "large" :p they have great muscle definition. But i digress... try cycling... the more i do it, the tighter my legs get. So they decrease in size.

good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.