What equipment do I need?

zippity

Cathlete
Hello, I'm new to this site, and very excited to start STS...I was wondering what equipment I will need to do these workouts? I saw a thread about an STS power tower, but what else do I need? I'll be doing Meso 1, 2, and 3.

Weights, bands, balls, etc...Will I need a "step?"

I've got:
Dumbells up to 40lbs each
pull up bar
squat and press bar
elastic resistance bands
TRX suspension bands

So, I've got a fairly good home setup, but I'd like to go ahead and get any other items I'll need 'cause I'm pretty eager to get started!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:
You have an awesome set-up. I do the heavy lifting (squat rack) etc. with a leverage system and plate weight.

Dumbells up to 40, I hope there are 8's,10's, 12's and 15's in there or you can use the platemates (below).

You are going to need something to slide on, like a frisbee. I use my TRX for that! It takes a little balance and figuring out how to loop the one stirrup over and then lowering the other nearly to the floor. This is only going to work if you have it anchored from the ceiling though. And it takes some time to get good at switching fast enough.

I would get some platform for lunges, the mini-step top or anything that is 6 to 8 inches high.

I'm assuming you have a barbell.

Micro-weights. I bought Platemates (Amazon.com) which are magnetic weights. I got 2 sets of 2.5's for my dumbells and it also worked on my plates for the barbell.

I do not have a full step, but have a full bench, which is much more comfortable for lifting.

Thank you very much!

I don't have a frisbee or platform...they're added to my list.

I've got a barbell...

I've got small dumbells and weights in the increments you mentioned. I'll have to look into those micro weights, they look interesting.

I just ordered the 36 dvd STS set...very excited to get started!

Good luck, you'll find its quite a system. You'll figure out how to set up your workout and make it flow. What I do is print out the workout sheet for that day and go over the weights and equipment I need to set it up, so there wasn't any confusion or running for something. Learning the Calendar and how to change my workout sheets was easy to figure out. That's the one feature I used every single time, after each workout I would change whatever I needed (weight wise) so it reflected on the next workout when I would print that out. The first meso moves fast, so you need to have your stuff ready. The second Meso moves a bit slower, longer rests, and the third Meso is something like a 2 to 3 minute rest inbetween sets. My personal favorite is Meso 2, but they are all awesome especially when you see the results.

Thanks for the tips, DirtDiva!

Worksheets are really essential for tracking progress; I picked up that good habit doing another workout series...

I found a "step" in the back of my storage room, so now I"m just waiting on the mailman...

No, I don't have a stability ball...well, I did, but my seven year-old son liked to play on it and popped it! :eek: Will go get a new one tomorrow!

I do have resistance bands-three different sizes...I keep them hidden from the seven year-old...

Thanks for the help!

If you don't already have the STS AB Circuits DVD, there was a promotion on QVC that featured the DVD plus a stability ball. It was a good deal so maybe see if it's still offered.

Thanks for the recommendation! I purchased a stability ball today.

Got the DVDs...Wheeeeeee! Fast shipping!

I'll read the users manual tonight and hopefully get started tomorrow!

Thanks for the recommendation! I purchased a stability ball today.

Got the DVDs...Wheeeeeee! Fast shipping!

I'll read the users manual tonight and hopefully get started tomorrow!

Can't wait to read how you like it. Which stability ball did you order? I need a new one.

Can't wait to read how you like it. Which stability ball did you order? I need a new one.

I love it!!!!!!!!!

So far, I've just started on the 1RM tests, and they are great workouts in their own right! I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, and I'm realizing I've got to break them down into segments-So, I'm matching the exercises with the meso 1 moves; yesterday I did the 1 RM tests for meso 1 video 1, and 2. I really, really love the variety of moves and exercises! Also, when once or twice I wasn't familiar with the particular move, I went to Cathe's you tube channel and looked up the exercise-extremely helpful!

Today's a cardio day; I'll either do Bob Harper cardio conditioning (great workout, btw) or an Insanity workout.

Oh, almost forgot...I just went out and purchased a stability ball. It's okay, but the next one I get will be from here.

Last edited:
I love it!!!!!!!!!

So far, I've just started on the 1RM tests, and they are great workouts in their own right! I'm only about 1/4 of the way through, and I'm realizing I've got to break them down into segments-So, I'm matching the exercises with the meso 1 moves; yesterday I did the 1 RM tests for meso 1 video 1, and 2. I really, really love the variety of moves and exercises! Also, when once or twice I wasn't familiar with the particular move, I went to Cathe's you tube channel and looked up the exercise-extremely helpful!

Today's a cardio day; I'll either do Bob Harper cardio conditioning (great workout, btw) or an Insanity workout.

Oh, almost forgot...I just went out and purchased a stability ball. It's okay, but the next one I get will be from here.

I was thinking I should just order one from her site. I use a stability ball at the office instead of a chair too. We plan on doing the 1RM tests too. So, we test each exercise to how many reps with can do with a certain weight and put that in to the calculator? Then it prints out?

I was thinking I should just order one from her site. I use a stability ball at the office instead of a chair too. We plan on doing the 1RM tests too. So, we test each exercise to how many reps with can do with a certain weight and put that in to the calculator? Then it prints out?

Basically, yes. I've done it a little differently: I printed the 1rm sheets (eight pages!) that list each exercise, then wrote down the pounds lifted and reps completed for each exercise. Then, when I'm done with the workout, I go to the computer and enter the data to calculate 1RMs.

Almost forgot; I found my old incline bench, dusted it off, and now it's in the middle of the bedroom-My husband's been chuckling about the gym equipment setup in the bedroom!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.