What does your POST-workout meal consist of?

luvmylabs

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I know that some of you drink smoothies after workouts. What do you put in them? If you don't do smoothies, what do you eat after a workout? Is it the same for cardio AND weight workouts, or does your post-workout meal differ depending on if you did cardio or weights? I really need some ideas.

Thank you ladies and for any help you can give. :) :)

Because my workouts are basically my "morning" (start at 4 pm) before heading off to work, I eat 1c. (cooked) oatmeal, 5-6 egg whites (cooked), 1 TBS flax seed, and 1 TBS of wheat germ. If I am off, then I eat some chicken breast and veggies. I'm not a smoothie kind of person.

I don't drink smoothies after every workout, but when I do, I put in 1 cup of light vanilla soy milk, 1 scoop of whey protein, a couple of ice cubes, and some combination of fresh or frozen fruit. Sometimes I just have a glass of skim milk (for some reason, I seem to crave milk after I run) and a healthy snack. Generally, my post-workout drink/meal is just based on how I feel and what I'm hungry for.

~Cathy :)

I work out between when I get home from work and dinner. Last night it was chicken parmesan and a little whole wheat spaghetti.

Whey protein with water/crushed ice. I work out in the am ( 4:30-5:30) then after shower etc usually have oatmeal with flax seed, skim milk, unsweetened applesauce and cinnamon. Yum!

When I work out at the gym, I'll get an Elvis smoothie at the cafe afterward, which is just banana, peanut butter, water, ice, whey protein powder, and a shot of vanilla syrup. When I make a banana-pb smoothie at home, I use soy milk instead of water, and vanilla extract instead of vanilla syrup. Deeeeelicious!

Most days, though, I just have cereal, soymilk and a banana after a workout.

This might sound kinda nasty, but I take a can of tuna in water, sliced tomato, some chickpeas or broccoli and mix them all together with a little safflower light mayo, add some fresh ground pepper and dig in!

I try to get a smoothie (easily digestible) with a 4-to-1 carb-to-protein ratio right after a workout (which is what many recommend). I use Vega meal replacement or some combo of hemp protein powder and other ingredients.

I usually make a protein shake with 1 scoop of (whey gourmet) protein powder, 4 oz. water, 4 oz. 1% milk, few ice cubes and half a banana (or other fresh fruit if I'm using vanilla powder).

>I try to get a smoothie (easily digestible) with a 4-to-1
>carb-to-protein ratio right after a workout (which is what
>many recommend). I use Vega meal replacement or some combo of
>hemp protein powder and other ingredients.

How does the Vega taste? I've been wanting to try it. I have been using whey protein powder in my smoothies, but I want to switch to hemp. I am reading Brendan Brazier's The Thrive Diet, & just last night I read about the 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio recommendation. Right now my smoothies have more protein than carbs, & I think shifting things to the 4 to 1 will be better for me.

>cookies}( :9 x(

washed down with Coke. Does it count if the protein powder is on the counter if my line of view while snarfing?

Debbie

I'm not gaining weight. I'm retaining food.

Absolutely. And if you lift it up and down a couple times, you can consider it part of your weight training for the day.

>Absolutely. And if you lift it up and down a couple times,
>you can consider it part of your weight training for the day.

see, that's why I heart you Robinellers. We can toss the container back and forth. Get some core work in there, too.

Debbie

I'm not gaining weight. I'm retaining food.

You guys are killing me with your cookies and Coke post-workout meals!!!! :7

*runs off to buy cookies and Coke to have after tomorrow's CC PP workout* }(

Snickers to herself. (Get it, snickers, like laughs, to herself)
Laughing is good for your abs. Oh boy, more cookies, coke and snickers.

Hey, if I jog to the store to buy my cookies, Coke and Snickers, does that mean I need to eat more cookies, Coke and Snickers???

>How does the Vega taste?

It tastes somewhat 'healthy', and for me it took some getting used to! I think it's the chlorella that does it. Some people say they like it right away. The first time I tried it, I just used water with it, and that's NOT such a good idea. I like the chocolate and the plain best, and mixing in a frozen banana and/or some fruit helps. I've even tried the chocolate with some frozen blueberries, and it was good. You can buy sample packs of it from www.veganessentials.com before committing to an entire container.

Vega also just came out with a Smoothie Infusion that is lower in protein than the original Vega, but actually tastes good.

For hemp protein, I like Nutiva best (www.nutiva.com), and their smoothie mixes are good as well. I sometimes use them as my post-workout drink. Orders over $30 are free shipping from their web site, and the prices are lower than what you will find in stores. Also, you can get a three pack for less (one of each smoothie flavor---I suggested they do that, and they did!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.