What do you do to make Christmas more fun for the kids?

The way I look at it, there is so much in our society that rushes our kids to grow up too fast. I am trying to keep the spirit of Christmas alive for my kids for as long as possible.

If you don't believe in Santa for your kids, please start another thread about that (and the whole idea of lying to your kids...this thread isn't about that!). :)

We wrote letters to Santa and asked if some of the elves can come to visit us (elves I got through a recommendation on this forum years ago www.elf-magic.com )

It worked! And we got 2 elves who run into all kinds of mischief! They leave us little notes and remind us to be good. Sometimes they leave messes and we have to clean it up (Once they put away all the dishes overnight, when Mom was too tired to do them and just went to bed)!

The elves are a TON of fun and the website has ideas of what to do to with your elves. They come alive at night, beacuse we sprinkle magic flakes on them when we put them into their elf beds.

**We also do the Advent calendar and count down to Jesus' birth. This comes with discussions and some small gifts, too. This year we are making our own out of recycled paper bags and old Christmas cards.

**At Thanksgiving, the kids receive money from my brother and they have until Christmas to give it away to someone anonymously. It can be as simple as the red kettles for the Salvation Army (when they are little), but as they get older they are expected to be a little more creative. Last year my DD (8) wrote a note to a classmate and we arranged for the letter to arrive with the money in the hands of the needy classmate (completely anonymously).

**We do the whole cookies and milk for Santa, too, but also make food for the reindeer (or the elves leave it for us), and then sprinkle it on the lawn (The reindeer can smell it for miles!!). Then on Christmas morning, we go outside and see that there are hoof prints around the food! We also see Santa's bootprints around the fireplace!

**The elves bring us a new pair of pajamas Christmas Eve and we get to wear them (for nice pictures Christmas morning!!)

**We have a specific Egg dish each Christmas morning. That is sooo yummy!!

**Santa's gifts are never wrapped. They are the ones just sitting out (all put together, all the batteries in, all that crazy packaging gone already)...Mom and Dad just sit and watch the kids play with the gifts, drinking coffee or tea!

**Do I probably overdo Christmas a bit? Yes, but I try to keep a balance between the fun and the basic idea of giving for others (which we do more of, too, but my post is already pretty long!!)

What are some of your ideas to keep Christmas special for your family??
**edited for typos!! oops!

Jenn :)

Last edited:
Jenn those are great ideas! My little ones are unfortunately getting to the age where they are questioning, especially since the older kids on the bus are telling them that Santa died. Isn't that nice. My DS who is 7 came home crying one day. My heart broke.
As far as our traditions, we also get new Christmas PJs that the elves leave us under the tree upstairs. The kids love it and I love to see their faces! We make cookies every year(then try not to eat them) and we leave carrots outside for the reindeer. We have a huge breakfast Christmas morning after we open presents and read our letters from Santa. Of course no one is allowed to open their presents until the dog finds his under the tree:)
To give to others, we always give toys to charities like Toys for Tots and food to the shelters and needy families in the area. Of course the kids are questioning why we have to give toys to kids if Santa brings toys to everyone! Too smart!
I love Christmas. It is the best time of the year! I think it is so important to have traditions in your family. Thanks for the thread and maybe some new traditions in our house:)

Jenn...I love your thread. I have to tell you the funniest elf story. A few years ago, I was teaching for a school in Texas. Our school secretary, a fabulous woman, decided to write letters to her two daughters (as if Santa were writing them). I can't remember her reason for saying it, but she told them (or Santa told them) he might leave one of his Christmas elves for a little while while he went out and delivered presents.

Her daughters received the letters, enjoyed reading them...end of story, right? Not! A few weeks later, her oldest daughter (who was 5 or 6) was starting to lose hair. Not in a major way, it was just that her thick hair was becoming thinner, the mom was noticing more hair in the hairbrush, etc. When she took her in for a check-up, the pediatrician was asking her some questions. And it ALL came out. She had been worried to death FOR WEEKS about that elf! Why did Santa have to leave him at their house? And, my two favorite questions...where was the elf going to sleep (please NOT in her room) and who was going to fix it's hair before heading out the next day (please NOT her)!

Needless to say, the mom had a lot of 'splainin to do. She maintained their love of Santa, but I think they wrote a letter to him kindly declining any elf visits.

So hilarious and I hadn't thought of it in years until your elf story. Thanks for that and for keeping Christmas MAGICAL!!! Love your thread!

:)Elizabeth

PS...Her lovely hair was fine...no major damage done!

Last edited:
I love this thread!

My daughter is only 2 but here are the things my parents did with me and my sister that I plan on passing along:

Santa always drops a present coming into the house and when he leaves (he never comes in or goes out the same way)

Christmas eve we go to church, come home to hot coco and cookies then open 1 present

The biggest (and best) gift is totally unwrapped and set up

We only get 3 presents from our parents - to represent the 3 gifts from the Wisemen, Santa can give as many as he wants LOL

We always have a small present nestled in the tree when we take it down

This one I really still do for my parents sake: every Christmas morning I get up at 4am, drive to their house and "wake" them up (they are up of course because they know we are coming lol) just like I used to do as a kid. I know one day that I won't be able to do it but for now it's tradition!

My daughter is only 2 but here are the things my parents did with me and my sister that I plan on passing along:

Santa always drops a present coming into the house and when he leaves (he never comes in or goes out the same way)

Christmas eve we go to church, come home to hot coco and cookies then open 1 present

The biggest (and best) gift is totally unwrapped and set up

We only get 3 presents from our parents - to represent the 3 gifts from the Wisemen, Santa can give as many as he wants LOL

We always have a small present nestled in the tree when we take it down

This one I really still do for my parents sake: every Christmas morning I get up at 4am, drive to their house and "wake" them up (they are up of course because they know we are coming lol) just like I used to do as a kid. I know one day that I won't be able to do it but for now it's tradition!

Marnski...I love the 4 a.m. thing!

thanks! most people (my husband included) think it's crazy but it makes me feel like a kid again and takes my parents back in time - I think it's worth losing the extra sleep!

I think it is wonderful! And I love that there are people like you and Jenn who find special traditions to carry on in your families. :)

I LOVE the 4am thing too! I wish I had thought about that when we lived closer to my parents. They did used to come over when the kids were really little but not until after they opened their presents:( The things you wished you could do over. Now we are 1000 miles away and wish each other Merry Christmas on the phone:(

We have many traditions in our house. For our own boys (who are now 14& 16) as well as my daycare.

The usual going to see Christmas lights, certian events in our area including a parade. A number of yrs ago we started making gingerbread houses. Each boy teams up with one of us & we swap off each yr to make it fair. We try & see who can be th emost creative. It is loads of fun. Then after Christmas they take them out & use them for target practice - I know very hickish, but they love it. I usually video tape it :eek:.

Daycare we have an annual cookie decorating day & they take them home to share with their family. Santa comes to visit one afternoon & pass out toys to them.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this time of yr!!

We always hand make an ornament every year and do a photo ornament too. This year we are making felted birds and clothespin ornaments. We always make sugar cookies, and we go and chop our own Christmas tree.

We have a big yard (6 acres.) so we get a live Christmas tree and decorate it and put it on the front porch. Its less of a fire hazard outside, then in the spring it gets a new home in the yard when its warm enough to be transplanted into the ground. I also do a lot of baking. I don't have any kids of my own so I guess that makes me the big kid. Also, I love watching silly, schmaltzy Christmas movies on tv.:eek:

We have a big yard (6 acres.) so we get a live Christmas tree and decorate it and put it on the front porch. Its less of a fire hazard outside, then in the spring it gets a new home in the yard when its warm enough to be transplanted into the ground. I also do a lot of baking. I don't have any kids of my own so I guess that makes me the big kid. Also, I love watching silly, schmaltzy Christmas movies on tv.:eek:

RapidBreath...thanks for your post about your brother taking care of you and your family (on another thread)...it's good to know their are men like that out there!

But speaking of schmaltzy Christmas movies...our family watches Christmas Vacation EVERY year. And always roll on the floor laughing like we've never seen it!

Any other schmaltzy movies y'all want to toss in the thread?!?

:) Elizabeth

Well...It's A Wonderful Life, of course!! Prancer. And Miracle on 34th Street (both versions)

"Your Honor, every one of these letters is addressed to Santa Claus. The Post Office has delivered them. Therefore the Post Office Department, a branch of the Federal Government, recognizes this man Kris Kringle to be the one and only Santa Claus."

We love to watch the 25 days of Christmas on ABC Family. There are tons of schmaltzy movies on there!! Some of them remind me of the days when we watched those after school specials on ABC!! :)

I also love Christmas Vacation!! Great movie!!

Cousin Eddie: "If that cat had nine lives she just spent 'em all! "

I woke up totally in the Christmas spirit today and I think that it is here to stay!! Thanks for helping to feed my need for Christmas!!! :)

Jenn

I remember as a kid, as soon as lights were up, whenever we were driving, my mom would point out the lights. "Lights on the left! Lights on the right!" We eventually would all scream at the sight of christmas lights, lol. We also would leave out cookies and beer (lol) for Santa. Also, all of the presents from Santa were wrapped in tinfoil, and had really pretty curly-q handwriting. Love all of these ideas!!!

I have to let you all know that this will be our first Christmas together...The guy, the 3 girls and I...Thanks for all of the ideas! We're trying to create memories that are OURS and not pulled from the ex's...Though they are teenagers, some of these are too cute to pass up on!

I know I've called him my DH, but we aren't married (yet)...For Santa gifts on Christmas morning the girls will be getting a new sundress, flip-flops and beach towels/totes...In their stockings are going to be gift vouchers for a trip to Hawaii...We're getting married in March, and they don't know yet! OMG has it been hard to keep THAT a secret!

Thanks, Ladies!
MJ in MN

No new ideas to add, but thank you for the inspiration. I love the excitement of Christmas - so much fun :D

I remember as a kid, as soon as lights were up, whenever we were driving, my mom would point out the lights. "Lights on the left! Lights on the right!" We eventually would all scream at the sight of christmas lights, lol. We also would leave out cookies and beer (lol) for Santa. Also, all of the presents from Santa were wrapped in tinfoil, and had really pretty curly-q handwriting. Love all of these ideas!!!

Nicole~ I have the same memories and I do it now with my kids but never thought about it until your post!! Made me laugh out loud!! I LOVE pointing out all the lights and saying, "Look! Look!!" :)

I know I've called him my DH, but we aren't married (yet)...For Santa gifts on Christmas morning the girls will be getting a new sundress, flip-flops and beach towels/totes...In their stockings are going to be gift vouchers for a trip to Hawaii...We're getting married in March, and they don't know yet! OMG has it been hard to keep THAT a secret!

Thanks, Ladies!
MJ in MN

What a great gift/surprise!!!

Erica

Jenn...I love your thread. I have to tell you the funniest elf story. A few years ago, I was teaching for a school in Texas. Our school secretary, a fabulous woman, decided to write letters to her two daughters (as if Santa were writing them). I can't remember her reason for saying it, but she told them (or Santa told them) he might leave one of his Christmas elves for a little while while he went out and delivered presents.

Her daughters received the letters, enjoyed reading them...end of story, right? Not! A few weeks later, her oldest daughter (who was 5 or 6) was starting to lose hair. Not in a major way, it was just that her thick hair was becoming thinner, the mom was noticing more hair in the hairbrush, etc. When she took her in for a check-up, the pediatrician was asking her some questions. And it ALL came out. She had been worried to death FOR WEEKS about that elf! Why did Santa have to leave him at their house? And, my two favorite questions...where was the elf going to sleep (please NOT in her room) and who was going to fix it's hair before heading out the next day (please NOT her)!

!

Okay, this had me laughing out loud. I plan to share with many friends. Really funny.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.