What Cathe Workouts Can I Do After Hip Replacement??

mackenzie

Cathlete
I just found out I need a hip replacement. I am trying to get a handle on what type of workouts I can do after the recovery time. (I know, I will be asking the orthopedic doctor on Tuesday as well.....) I know I won't be able to do any of the Hiit workouts, Imax workouts, Cross Fire, To the Max, etc. I love spinning. It is my hope that I will be able to do all of my spinning workouts, lift weights (with lower body modifications) and most of Cathe's low impact workouts.

Can anyone give me some advice, pointers, etc.

I'm really bummed about this. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't have any suggestions, I'm afraid (although Cathe's new workout where she promises an Upper Body version of Cardio Leg Blast might be good) - but I just wanted to wish you all the best. You may find you can do MUCH MORE than now, once you're recovered.

Oh....please keep your chin up and try not to be bummed out. Any surgery is tough! But I can tell you....as an RN I've heard countless people talk about HOW MUCH BETTER they felt after getting joint replacement. My own father in law walked like a 1000 year old man. Once he got his hip done he wanted his shoulder done, other hip etc.

I'm betting that you'll feel better after adequate recovery and while modifications may be needed for your workouts you'll still be in the game! The advantage that you have is that you are already a Cathlete. Exercise is a part of your life, THAT shouldn't change. Good luck and be well.

I'll bet you'll go thru rehab after the surgery with PT. Physical therapists are just excellent resources to guide you on the types of workouts you will be able to do. Then you can look at what Cathe has that fits their instructions. I'll bet you are going to do GREAT. Keep us informed. Try to stay positive. Best wishes.

I had my hip replaced three years ago and the only thing my doctor doesn't care for me doing is distance running. I actually talked to him about specific exercises when I went to get it checked up last week. He said even high impact aerobics were ok. I do all kinds of Cathe workouts (HIIT, step, STS, etc) I am careful with squats and dead lifts and certain stretches, but I don't have any limits. Other than he doesn't care for me running -although he didn't ban it he advised strongly against it due to wear on the hardware. Obviously it depends on your doctor, type of hardware and particular situation but you might be surprised!

~kristi

One of the Cathletes I met at the 2013 roadtrip has had a hip replacement and she does just about everything of Cathes. I will ask her to respond to your ? If she has time.

Hey there, I had hip replacement 2 years ago. I was 59 then. In preparation for my surgery, I did the full STS rotation for my upper body. It was too painful to do the leg part, but I'm glad I did the upper body because It made me stronger to move myself around after surgery. It took me about 3 months after surgery to be able to do a lot of aerobics--step in particular. But I really enjoyed kickboxing though and I also used my elliptical trainer. I'm sure the spin bike would be ideal. The only problems I still encounter is the flexibility on the replacement side, but I've managed to return to the high impact I was doing before. The other little problem I have is my balance isn't as good on that side. Don't know when your surgery is, but I wish you the best! It's not an easy process and you have to have patience (which isn't one of my virtues!). I had no choice but to have this procedure and I'm sure you're feeling the pain too. Good luck and don't hesitate to message me if you have more concerns.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE ENCOURAGING RESPONSES!

Werkout kween - I to have decided to do the full STS rotation before my surgery so I can be in tip top shape when it's time for the recovery phase. Of course I am modifying the lower body workouts. I just can't do some of the lower body exercises. Too painful and lack of mobility!

My surgery is scheduled for November 3rd. The more information and understanding I have about this process, the more encouraged I feel! Especially with all the information from people that have gone through this process. I have come to realize that I don't have to give up on Cathe's higher impact workouts at all! Maybe for a while, but not forever!

I finally have a peace about all of this and I am focusing on what I CAN do not what I CAN'T do!!!

I am no longer calling this my hip replacement down time, but a much needed vacation!

Excellent! No your life isn't over! I'm very glad to even be able to do planks. It was impossible to put any weight on that leg in that position. Good luck! Keep us posted!

I know exactly what you are going through. I have an appt with another orthopedic doc on 9/22. The first one I saw last Oct told me I needed my hip replaced. Something about that doc didn't sit right with me so I'm going to see a different one. I have finally mentally prepared myself that I will more than likely have to get my left hip replaced. I did a posting as well and thanks to all the lovely Cathletes I got nothing but words of encouragement and thankfully I had one individual that had her hip replaced and told me that she is able to do HiiT, Tabata, Imax etc. That helped my mind set as well.

Best of luck to you in November. Assuming I'm going to have to have mine done as well, I'm hoping to get it done this year yet. Give me the cold months inside to recovery.

Good Luck and let us know how things went.
Brenda

Yes indeed! I'm one of those who had hip replacement. I did Tabatacise today and am thankful for every air jack and jump tuck I can do!

I survived my surgery and the recovery process is going great!! I've been able to do some upper body workouts with lighter weights. I am hoping to get the ok to spin at my 6 week appointment. I asked the doctor about step workouts and he prefers I don't do them because of the repetition. But it looks to me like some of the ladies here are doing that and more!! I love step and can't even think of not doing Step Blast ever again! How can the repetition of step (low impact) be much different than the repetition of walking?

At 3 weeks post surgery I am able to walk without the assistance of a cane. Not perfect, but I think that's amazing!!!

You are doing great! Thank you for letting us know how you're doing.
Happy Thanksgiving. You'll be spinning and stepping, too, before you know it.

Hooray!!! Good for you! Glad you came back to let us know how you're doing.

A few yrs ago I had foot surgery....after some recovery I asked when I could start working out again. The doctor said "What do you do to workout". I said aerobics and toning, sometimes the treadmill. He wanted clarification on the aerobics, so I said "step or floor aerobics, tabata or Hiit" etc. He had NO idea what I was talking about!!! So when you discuss exercise....make certain the MD knows exactly what you're doing:)

So glad you're feeling better!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.