What cardio to do during STS?

Reese777

Cathlete
Hi Everyone! :)

I have had STS for many years now, but haven't attempted anything but the separate STS full body workout. The reason for my delay is, I have had chronic mono and some thyroid issues that sort of wiped me out. I am thinking of doing STS now, but the cardio has to be low impact and not super aggressive. I'm about 60 lbs over weight and any high impact stuff makes my right knee start singing and my Achilles tendons get inflamed. Don't know why, but the weights don't seem to bother anything?

Does anyone just walk on the treadmill for their cardio during this program?

:confused:

Walking is great low impact cardio. Cathe also has the low impact series. I like all the workouts on that series but I choose after burn more often than any other. Good luck with STS, I've done the 3.5 month program a few times & love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Reese, I had my share of injuries while doing STS. I had slipped disc and PF/heal spur. When I had the PF/heal spur I couldn't do any high impact. I did a lot of walking (as much as I could). It took over a year for my PF/heal spur to healed , I still walk a lot to this day. I do high impact once in a while, but prefer walking or low impact cardio. You can walk on the treadmill or check out Jenny Ford and Jessica Smith youtube workouts and the best part hey are FREE!! They both have amazing low impact walking workouts. Good luck!

I second/third/fourth Walking. :) I just find walking so beneficial in many ways, some unexpected. My brother in-law (who is youngish, late 40's) decreased his cholesterol levels by quite a bit (it was alarming to his doctor, although I do not know specific numbers) just by walking alone 6 days per week.
In relation to STS, which is what you were asking ...lol, my tangents! .....I think walking 3-4 times a week or less is ideal as it will not interfere with strength/muscle fibre gains & if you do want to kick it up a bit, sneak some of your own intervals in there. I like Belinda's suggestions of indoor walking when weather gets miserable again (just if you get a little bored on the treadmill). Another good low impact acitivity is rebounding/mini trampolining if you have one. I thought my ankles may be too unstable/weak for it, but it has actually helped.

I walked also. I walked with Leslie Sansone and out doors. Maybe try Jessica Smith. She has lots of stuff on youtube and is very popular over at videofitness.com. She also has lots of DVDs.on amazon and on her site.

I am wanting to start another STS rotation (it has been a few years since I have done it). I just need to put my tower together for my barbell. Anyway, I think I am just going to run, walk or spin on my non-lifting days. However, I am going to possibly do two leg days per week instead of just the one.

I am wanting to start another STS rotation (it has been a few years since I have done it). I just need to put my tower together for my barbell. Anyway, I think I am just going to run, walk or spin on my non-lifting days. However, I am going to possibly do two leg days per week instead of just the one.

Hey Tracy,

When are you revisiting STS? Have you set a date?
Getting all my equipment ready!:)

Hey Tracy,

When are you revisiting STS? Have you set a date?
Getting all my equipment ready!:)

Hi Nathalie! I actually started last week and have just finished the workouts for week two! However, I am actually going to do the Week 2 Legs again on Friday or Saturday. It has been a long time since I have done STS and I am loving the structure of it.

Are you going to start it soon? We should do a check in!

Hi Nathalie! I actually started last week and have just finished the workouts for week two! However, I am actually going to do the Week 2 Legs again on Friday or Saturday. It has been a long time since I have done STS and I am loving the structure of it.

Are you going to start it soon? We should do a check in!

Yes I do check in. I have sent you the link in private.
See you there...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.