What can I expect from STS

lina9496

Cathlete
STS will enhance muscle definition, increase lean muscle density, reduce overall body fat, increase your metabolism, and improve your overall energy, health, and vitality.

Hi Cathe, Above is the answer you gave to another post that was concerned about bulking up.

I am looking to increase muscle size, definition and tone. Don't you have to add bulk to enhance muscle definition and increase muscle density? My goal is to get bigger muscles so definition and tone will be evident. Can I achieve this with STS as prescribed. I'm waiting to hear your thoughts before I order.
Thanks,
Lina

To answer one of your questions, you don't need to add bulk to enhance definition. An important factor in enhancing definition is to lose body fat.

Cathe does have one Mesocycle that she said will be dedicated to hypertrophy, which means bigger muscles. But I imagine how much growth you see will depend a lot on how heavy you chose to lift, as well as your diet. I don't know a lot about the diet people need if they really want to gain mass, but I do know it's important.

Obviously I'm not Cathe, but I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. I guess Cathe will explain how to incorporate the one cycle dedicated to hypertrophy. I'm 5ft and 100 pounds. I'm pretty fit and trim, but haven't really seen much change in my muscle growth with other of Cathe's videos. The biggest reason is the amount of weight I can lift for one exercise.
For example, I've been working my biceps for years and can't do more than 8 reps with a twenty pound weight in each hand. I've been stuck there for a long time. So, my question is, how can I build muscle if I can't increase my weight enough to make it work?
Thanks,
Lina

Hi Lina! This is a great question and actually a quite a common one amongst many in your situation. Not to worry, the hypertrophy phase of Mesocycle #2 addresses your exact concerns. Here is how: Hypertrophy is best developed using reps in the 8-12 rep range (70% to 80% of your 1RM). But it is also important to point out that hypertrophy is dependent upon relative weight, not absolute weight. That means if you begin a new weight routine using weights in the 70% to 80% range your muscles will experience hypertrophy in the beginning because the intensity is new and different from what your muscles were used to. However, if you always lift the same weight (absolute), after a short period of time your muscles will stop growing and you will plateau. This is why periodization is important as we change things up during each mesocycle such as the intensity (amount lifted) of the exercise. Since hypertrophy responds best to relative changes in weight, by simply making weekly or biweekly changes (up and down) in the amount of weight used and the exercises performed in this mesocycle, you will continue to experience hypertrophy for a much longer time and will eventually be able to reach the goal that seems to have eluded you so far. Expect to see “back off sets” as well as other effective muscle building techniques in Mesocycle #2 Hypertrophy Phase to help prevent plateaus. Hang in there Lina, STS has got you covered 

Thanks for addressing this question Cathe! I was wondering the same thing. I want to increase muscle and wouldn't mind bulking up, even though I know there's only so much bulking up I can do. However, I do want to increase my strength as well. I am in the same boat as the above poster who can't seem to get past the 20# DB on curls. I also want to incrase strength so I can eventually do pull ups and chin ups without assistance.:)

Glad STS will be able to boost my current fitness/strength level. I'm so excited about this series! I know it will probably be quite a wait, but I'm sure it will be soooooooo worth it.

What a great concept for a new series!!

Angie

ETA: If this series can get my arms to look like yours do, especially like they do in the GS series, I will soooooo be lovin' life!!! :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.