what barbell

I use a troylite. It's short and only weighs 5#. I love it!

Nope, it's not mandatory to have one. You can always sub in DB's where Cathe uses a barbell. That's your choice but a barbell does work you differently and change is good. :)

I use a Gold's Gym cheapie that I bought from Wal-Mart for $35 as a 100 pound set. The bar is 5 feet which is a little longer than the Troylite but weighs the same and can hold 100 pounds (not sure how much the Troylite can hold).

As previously said, you can use a dumbbell wherever the barbell is used but ever since I got the barbell I love it and can't imagine using heavy dumbells to do squats ever again!

I went with the Troy lite set too. 65 lb. set has some extra smaller weights, when you just want to move up a little at a time, for some things. I like it a lot. Max capacity 80 lbs. with the lite bar. You could also add a vest for those leg exercises.

Linda

I think you need it, too, along with a squat rack. Otherwise you won't be able to squat with much weight! Sorry I had to tell you that!:D

I use a Gold's Gym cheapie that I bought from Wal-Mart for $35 as a 100 pound set. The bar is 5 feet which is a little longer than the Troylite but weighs the same and can hold 100 pounds (not sure how much the Troylite can hold).

As previously said, you can use a dumbbell wherever the barbell is used but ever since I got the barbell I love it and can't imagine using heavy dumbells to do squats ever again!

I have the same one but it serves its purpose and I agree that you don't particularly need it but it's a good item to have.

I use this one also, works fine, i love using the barbell, kinda makes me feel a little empowered:eek:.

I bought a used barbell at Play It Again sports. It's really long and heavy (15 lbs) and I wish I had a Troy Lite, but this used barbell was only $20, and I bought used plates super cheap too.

how much does the bar weigh alone?

how much does the bar weigh alone?

The bar weighs about 4 pounds alone (according to my scale anyway).

The set came with 100 pounds of weights (2-25#, 2-15#, & 2-10#) and I bought the Gold's Gym 40# dumbbell set which gave me 4-7.5# and 4-2.5# plates. I think that set was around $35 too.

Having both these sets gives me so many options for a pretty reasonable price ($70ish).

I was a little worried about how well it would hold up given it was Wal-Mart but so far it has been great (had it for 3 months so far).

I had a barbell and can't use it - it hurts my shoulder/elbows when I hold it on my shoulders. And my back doesn't like it either.

I use dumbbells and find Cathe workouts extremely effective with them. You definitely don't need them.

the trolite bar does come with a "cushion" for when you need to put it on your shouldrs. But, of course you can make do with dumbells.

the trolite bar does come with a "cushion" for when you need to put it on your shouldrs. But, of course you can make do with dumbells.
That must be new, as I never got one with my Troy Lites.

You can also buy bar pads. I got mine at Walmart years ago.
A folded towel draped over the shoulders can also help.

That must be new, as I never got one with my Troy Lites.

You can also buy bar pads. I got mine at Walmart years ago.
A folded towel draped over the shoulders can also help.

I didn't get a cushion with my Troy Lite Barbell either!
If you need the cushion for cheap, you could just go to Home Depot, Lowe's, or your neighborhood hardware store and get any length of pipe insulation.

I didn't get a cushion with my Troy Lite Barbell either!
If you need the cushion for cheap, you could just go to Home Depot, Lowe's, or your neighborhood hardware store and get any length of pipe insulation.

Pool noodles work too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.